The Student Room Group

EPQ :0 Is it considered for KCL and LSE?

Hey guyssss

I know that both schools mention that the EPQ isn’t considered at any point during the application process, BUT do you think it would give me an edge over other students if I mentioned it and how it relates to my course in my personal statement?

Thanksss
Original post by Bobita600
Hey guyssss

I know that both schools mention that the EPQ isn’t considered at any point during the application process, BUT do you think it would give me an edge over other students if I mentioned it and how it relates to my course in my personal statement?

Thanksss

It would definitely help the PS if it's related to the course you're applying for. Thing is, there's so many students who will apply to top-tier unis like KCL and LSE, out of which the majority probably have done EPQs. So I'm not too sure about it giving you an edge.
Reply 2
Original post by oprahwindfuryy
It would definitely help the PS if it's related to the course you're applying for. Thing is, there's so many students who will apply to top-tier unis like KCL and LSE, out of which the majority probably have done EPQs. So I'm not too sure about it giving you an edge.

That’s trueee :,)
Thanks for the help !
Original post by Bobita600
Hey guyssss

Thanksss

I've bolded the answer to your question. No, doing something that almost everyone else does too won't give you an edge.

Having spent personal time studying something related to the course you are applying for is useful, of course. Not because it's labelled "EPQ" but because it will prepare you better, give you something to write about in your PS, give you something to talk about in an interview... and, last but not least, give you a chance to decide if you enjoy the subject at a level beyond sitting in class and being taught. If your only reason for doing an EPQ in a subject that you think you want to study at university is it looking good on the application, you've probably picked the wrong subject.
Reply 4
Original post by skylark2
I've bolded the answer to your question. No, doing something that almost everyone else does too won't give you an edge.

Having spent personal time studying something related to the course you are applying for is useful, of course. Not because it's labelled "EPQ" but because it will prepare you better, give you something to write about in your PS, give you something to talk about in an interview... and, last but not least, give you a chance to decide if you enjoy the subject at a level beyond sitting in class and being taught. If your only reason for doing an EPQ in a subject that you think you want to study at university is it looking good on the application, you've probably picked the wrong subject.

To be fair, you’re right!
it was my only reason- I am extremely interested in the degree I want to do at university, but not in the actual EPQ. I only completed it to have a better application, although as you guys have said, it is unlikely to give me an edge.
Three reasons for doing an EPQ :

1) You get experience of working on your own - organising your own time, finding relevant reading etc - all skills that introduce you what is expected from you at University.
2) You examine a topic is detail - this is useful as something relevant to discuss in your Personal Statement and it is evidence that you are already 'thinking beyond the A level syllabus'.
3) Many Uni make lower grade offers including an EPQ - 'AAA or AAB with A in EPQ' etc. If you have already done your EPQ in Y12 and got an A grade, there is less pressure on you in Y13.

Useful short online course about 'Doing an EPQ' - worth doing over the summer - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Three reasons for doing an EPQ :

1) You get experience of working on your own - organising your own time, finding relevant reading etc - all skills that introduce you what is expected from you at University.
2) You examine a topic is detail - this is useful as something relevant to discuss in your Personal Statement and it is evidence that you are already 'thinking beyond the A level syllabus'.
3) Many Uni make lower grade offers including an EPQ - 'AAA or AAB with A in EPQ' etc. If you have already done your EPQ in Y12 and got an A grade, there is less pressure on you in Y13.

Useful short online course about 'Doing an EPQ' - worth doing over the summer - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success

thanks a lot for this!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending