The Student Room Group

does having a baby make you feel better?

does that distract you from your problems or does it cause more problems for yourself?

Scroll to see replies

DEFINITELY do not have a kid if your reasoning for it is 'to feel better'
im glad I don't want children to be honest, and i'm not even into guys anyway. I'd rather stay without children and be financially stable first, but I don't even want kids anyway. You should never want kids to feel better, that's not a great reason for doing so.
Thats pretty… graphic. So what is my coping mechanism, alcohol? love?
Using a baby as a coping mechanism will be hugely harmful for both you and the baby.
If you're feeling nurturing something may help, try a houseplant
Original post by sociologynerd8
im glad I don't want children to be honest, and i'm not even into guys anyway. I'd rather stay without children and be financially stable first, but I don't even want kids anyway. You should never want kids to feel better, that's not a great reason for doing so.

thats what everyone says at first and I said that before and I still don’t want kids now, but seeing a baby yesterday on tv and feeling low today made me think of having a baby as a coping mechanism. I even wanted to get my reproductive system removed and I don’t see the point of my periods because I would otherwise never ever want kids, its not even about that, its the fact that I may not be able to have kids anyway.
its not like doctors would even remove it because “we all say that and want kids at some point in our lives”.
A baby is seriously hard work, a lot of responsibility and can be very expensive too.
Original post by Anonymous
A baby is seriously hard work, a lot of responsibility and can be very expensive too.

so people who have babies at 16/17/18, they ruined their lives?
does that distract you from your problems or does it cause more problems for yourself?

I’d only want babies if they were twins. Otherwise it’s a no, no don’t want kids.
Original post by Mohammed_80
I’d only want babies if they were twins. Otherwise it’s a no, no don’t want kids.

its not always going to be twins though.
potentially if you think your goal in life is to have a child; now you've achieved it. who's paying for it?
Original post by Genesiss
potentially if you think your goal in life is to have a child; now you've achieved it. who's paying for it?

I am?

Benefits can help a bit. The father of the child?
so people who have babies at 16/17/18, they ruined their lives?

Not ruined but they definitely haven't made their lives any easier. Unless you have family or a partner to help, it's a lot of sleepless nights. All the while, a lot of other 16-18 year olds who will be doing very teenage things like drinking and hanging with friends etc.
Not ruined but they definitely haven't made their lives any easier. Unless you have family or a partner to help, it's a lot of sleepless nights. All the while, a lot of other 16-18 year olds who will be doing very teenage things like drinking and hanging with friends etc.

I’m not 16-18 by the way, just asking because I know many between those ages who had a child without thinking about the responsibility or being financially stable.
Thats pretty… graphic. So what is my coping mechanism, alcohol? love?

You need to find a way to identify and deal with the root cause of your issues.
its not always going to be twins though.

True. But not sure about babies to be honest.
Original post by Son of the Sea
You need to find a way to identify and deal with the root cause of your issues.

I just woke up from sleep and had less sleep than usual and I didnt have a dream or anything but I woke up feeling low and thinking about something, don’t want to talk about it.

Maybe a step forward could be counselling.
I am?

Benefits can help a bit. The father of the child?

oh cool. if you can afford it that's awesome. what does your partner think of this?
that's not a child's responsibility to make everything 'better' for you. this will be a baby that you have to care for. you need to be mentally prepared, physically prepared because this is a full commitment and this baby will drain you! so i think it will distract you from your social life but other than that, they need you 24/7. maybe you should get a puppy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending