The Student Room Group

AQA A level further maths Paper 1, 25th May

how did everyone find it?

Scroll to see replies

Dude I've failed that, it was harder than all the past papers I've done. I panicked and ended up leaving half of it blank. Think I probably got like 30%. I'm not gonna get into uni at this rate since my offer needs an A* in further maths
Last part of the last question I found hard I got cos theta as -1 +√5. But I couldn't get anything to work after that , I liked the shm stuff though. It was a reasonable paper overall id say. I know the quadratic was squared for the last one based on working it out but didn't know how to give a geometric reason for it...
(edited 1 year ago)
mate i swear all the past papers ive done, all the edexcel past papers i did aswell and all the questions ive done over past 2 years, none were as hard as that paper we sat today. The start was pretty easy but the vector laser beam question and the harmonic motion question were insane. Also what did you get for the r^2 = 9sin(2theta) question? I couldnt identify the error in the question which then meant i couldnt answer the entirety of that question?
I don’t do further maths but I’m terrified of my chemistry paper now :frown:
Original post by CharlemagneDaDog
Last part of the last question I found hard I got cos theta as -1 +√5. But I couldn't get anything to work after that , I liked the shm stuff though. It was a reasonable paper overall id say. I know the quadratic was squared for the last one based on working it out but didn't know how to give a geometric reason for it...

Basically because there were two sets of conjugate pair solutions to z^5=1, the real part of a conjugate pair is the same, so the roots to that equation in terms of c had quadratic factors
Reply 6
What evil ******* at aqa made that paper. Swear I've never seen questions like half of them, but that might have been due to my lack of revision. Reckon I got 35% tho, and since I need a C that isn't too bad.
Reply 7
Original post by keatondocherty
mate i swear all the past papers ive done, all the edexcel past papers i did aswell and all the questions ive done over past 2 years, none were as hard as that paper we sat today. The start was pretty easy but the vector laser beam question and the harmonic motion question were insane. Also what did you get for the r^2 = 9sin(2theta) question? I couldnt identify the error in the question which then meant i couldnt answer the entirety of that question?

For r^2 = 9sin(2theta). One loop is positive and the other is negative. Hence integrating from -pi to pi will be 0. Integrate instead from 0 to pi and double.

image_2022-05-25_170700291.png

i found the differential question with SHM really hard, the first show that part but the constant k really threw me off, whatever quadratic i got didn't factoeise and i just panicked aha
i agree, the polar curve question was absolutely vile, didn't even know where to start or how to draw it. the vectoe question was one i was actually confident about apart from the last part d, i got p=3 which worked to find the smallest angle

Original post by blitzs
For r^2 = 9sin(2theta). One loop is positive and the other is negative. Hence integrating from -pi to pi will be 0. Integrate instead from 0 to pi and double.

image_2022-05-25_170700291.png

i think i intergrated from pi/2 to 0 as a guess really, i didn't finish my answer though because i practically ran out of time
(edited 1 year ago)
Basically because there were two sets of conjugate pair solutions to z^5=1, the real part of a conjugate pair is the same, so the roots to that equation in terms of c had quadratic factors

Yea I wrote that I knew there were 2 quadratic factors but how did you explain that they were the same factor?
did anyone get an answer for the damped harmonic motion that seemed reasonable?
I got root(2)/e for the speed of the particle
Original post by abifray
I got root(2)/e for the speed of the particle

Same
I have some hope now 😂😂
Same
Original post by Ryansmithy224
did anyone get an answer for the damped harmonic motion that seemed reasonable?

(0.2 +t√(2))e^(-5t√2) I got
I got the exact same thing, I didn’t manage to form the equation from the information in part a bit I think I got the rest of it so fingers crossed
(0.2 +t√(2))e^(-5t√2) I got
can anyone remeber what the conditions of the shm question were like the lengths of AB and the tensions in each spring etc so i can try it again now?

Quick Reply

Latest