The Student Room Group

Partial fractions division question

Hi I realise (x^2 -1) is difference of two squares but I couldn’t get an answer doing the division or by multiplying by (x^2 -1)
Think about what the denominators will be. You're right about the difference of two squares, so what would they be when expanded?

This might help some more:

Spoiler

Let me know if this clears things up!
Reply 2

Spoiler

Thanks, I would have done that if it wasn’t for the x^2 + B part. Should I multiply by through the factorised brackets and compare coefficients?
Original post by e1eanor

Spoiler

Thanks, I would have done that if it wasn’t for the x^2 + B part. Should I multiply by through the factorised brackets and compare coefficients?

Yep! That should get you to the right answer
Reply 4
Original post by Purple43Monkey
Yep! That should get you to the right answer

x^4 +2 = (x+1)(x-1)x^2 + B(x+1)(x-1) + C(x+1)(x-1)?
Reply 5
Original post by e1eanor
x^4 +2 = (x+1)(x-1)x^2 + B(x+1)(x-1) + C(x+1)(x-1)?

Wait ignore the brackets on the C and I got C=3 and B=1
Sorry, in this case you substitute, so let x=1 and then let x=-1
I think it should only split into 2 terms

maths 2.jpg

Does this work and make sense?
Reply 8
Sorry, in this case you substitute, so let x=1 and then let x=-1

Got it, can I ask about a two-marker on the same topic?
Of course!
I think it should only split into 2 terms

Does this work and make sense?

Don't post solutions - sorry, it looks wrong anyway
Reply 11
image.jpgQuestion 5 part b - for part a I got it equals 1+ 2/x+1 + 3/2x-1
Ah yeah im so sorry, for the first question you need to firstly divide as you have a top heavy fraction, then you do that step. Basically you did the first step right, then you do the extra bit. I can pm you the answer if you want
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
Ah yeah im so sorry, for the first question you need to firstly divide as you have a top heavy fraction, then you do that step. Basically you did the first step right, then you do the extra bit. I can pm you the answer if you want

Do I just sub in x=1/2? It’s the inequality it wants that’s confusing me. Should be obvious
Original post by e1eanor
Do I just sub in x=1/2? It’s the inequality it wants that’s confusing me. Should be obvious

Sorry i meant for your original question you need to first do polynomial division (as I think you originally did) and then split into partial fractions. I appear to be a bit brain dead at the moment. Apologies for any confusion!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 15
Sorry i meant for your original question you need to first do polynomial division (as I think you originally did) and then split into partial fractions. I appear to be a bit brain dead at the moment. Apologies for any confusion!

I’ve got the answer for part a, it’s part b :smile:
Original post by e1eanor
I’ve got the answer for part a, it’s part b :smile:

Just think about the signs of the different partial fractions when x>1/2
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest