The Student Room Group

Why do I have no confidence in myself?

I'm feeling really unconfident about how my GCSEs are going. It feels weird because in mocks I never really experienced this and I have always done well but now I feel like I am failing everything (not actually failing but getting lower grades than what I want).

Does anyone feel/has felt like this? Or does anyone have a solution to stopping these feelings because they are both inhibiting to my current revision and I fear to my relaxation in the holidays after
Original post by ajgiqigjq
I'm feeling really unconfident about how my GCSEs are going. It feels weird because in mocks I never really experienced this and I have always done well but now I feel like I am failing everything (not actually failing but getting lower grades than what I want).

Does anyone feel/has felt like this? Or does anyone have a solution to stopping these feelings because they are both inhibiting to my current revision and I fear to my relaxation in the holidays after

How much did you write in the exam and what did you write about?
Reply 2
Original post by Legionnaire83
How much did you write in the exam and what did you write about?

???

Hi i hope you are well i am sorry to hear that your having these feelings believe it or not you are not the only one i myself also feel like this from time to time the best advice i can really give you is to try telling yourself that you did your very best in the exam and also try to look after yourself during this difficult period i often go outside for a walk or find somewhere nice and quite and unwind and then come back to whatever i was doing and that seemed to help me focus better

Have a nice day !
Reply 4
Original post by ////////////
Hi i hope you are well i am sorry to hear that your having these feelings believe it or not you are not the only one i myself also feel like this from time to time the best advice i can really give you is to try telling yourself that you did your very best in the exam and also try to look after yourself during this difficult period i often go outside for a walk or find somewhere nice and quite and unwind and then come back to whatever i was doing and that seemed to help me focus better

Have a nice day !

Thanks for the advice, it's reassuring to know I am not the only one who feels like this.

Hope you have a nice day too!
Yes, I have been feeling like this alot too. I have always got high grades in mocks and felt relatively happy with them and didn't really feel this lack of confidence before. I think it may be because you're in a slightly different frame of mind (you know it isn't simply against your peers and you won't be going through it in class etc.). Also, if you're a bit perfectionist like me, it does make it worse (I can make one tiny mistake and feel entirely unhappy about my exam performance). Just know that you're not alone and many other people, especially those who do well, feel this. I think, as someone told me a few days ago, its also important to realise that our final exams are rarely our best performance (i.e. the best piece of work you've ever done) and if it's not, that's normal and you can do perfectly well in it. We all feel a bit deflated anyway after a final exam because you realise all your work over two years has culminated into 1-2 hours, so this can add to it too.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jamesh234
Yes, I have been feeling like this alot too. I have always got high grades in mocks and felt relatively happy with them and didn't really feel this lack of confidence before. I think it may be because you're in a slightly different frame of mind (you know it isn't simply against your peers and you won't be going through it in class etc.). Also, if you're a bit perfectionist like me, it does make it worse (I can make one tiny mistake and feel entirely unhappy about my exam performance). Just know that you're not alone and many other people, especially those who do well, feel this. I think, as someone told me a few days ago, its also important to realise that our final exams are rarely our best performance (i.e. the best piece of work you've ever done) and if it's not, that's normal and you can do perfectly well in it. We all feel a bit deflated anyway after a final exam because you realise all your work over two years has culminated into 1-2 hours, so this can add to it too.

Wow that is really relatable, I am also a bit of a perfectionist so I guess that's why I may feel this way. I have also had issues with procrastination and keep getting annoyed at myself because I feel less prepared than mocks, do you feel the same way?
This is exactly me. I did insanely well in my mocks but I'm feeling really hopeless about getting grades as good as them in the real thing. I've revised loads but I'm always worrying about things I might have got wrong in previous exams, even really small marking points. Maybe it's because I am always comparing it to my mock performance. Anyway, it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one.

Something which helps me out a bit is to write down on a piece of paper / document how you think each exam went out of 10, and your thoughts about it, and you either realise that it wasn't as bad as you thought it was or at the very least you can try to get the thoughts out of your head.
(edited 1 year ago)
Wow that is really relatable, I am also a bit of a perfectionist so I guess that's why I may feel this way. I have also had issues with procrastination and keep getting annoyed at myself because I feel less prepared than mocks, do you feel the same way?

Yes, I feel so similar! This might sound slightly strange but because the information is a bit more embedded now than in my mocks, I feel less prepared (as I don't feel I can just recall masses of information with no prompt) and it takes me longer. Is this the same for you? Regarding procrastination, I feel that too - I finish exams at around 11 but I never really start work until like 2/3 because I just can't switch off from them and keep on thinking about whether I remembered to put something for an answer. For mocks, it was slightly easier because I had minimum two a day and I knew that whilst they may contribute to TAGs, they were likely to be just mocks. Also, I almost don't feel nervous for exams now - I feel like I have almost been desensitised due to the masses of mocks I have sat, which is good but then I question why I don't feel nervous or anxious. To be honest, sometimes I feel a little deflated and empty and as if I don't care. Definitely looking forward to the summer and then being able to move on to A-Levels!
Original post by plankt0n
This is exactly me. I did insanely well in my mocks but I'm feeling really hopeless about getting grades as good as them in the real thing. I've revised loads but I'm always worrying about things I might have got wrong in previous exams, even really small marking points. Maybe it's because I am always comparing it to my mock performance. Anyway, it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one.

Something which helps me out a bit is to write down on a piece of paper / document how you think each exam went out of 10, and your thoughts about it, and you either realise that it wasn't as bad as you thought it was or at the very least you can try to get the thoughts out of your head.

Hi, that's really relatable. I do feel like lots of people who generally do well academically feel like this but unfortunately no one talks about it. The perfectionism is quite damaging to be honest and a hard cycle to get out of. Also, I feel for 2022 students the uncertainty of mocks potentially being used for TAGs was very hard as it felt like this goal is constantly being waved in front of us and then being pushed further back until they say that it is literally just dependent on exams this year. I think it has led to a lot of people feeling a bit burnt out (especially because we are just bored of revising the content now). Anyway, that's a really good tip about writing down your thoughts - it probably breaks that cycle of thoughts flowing around your head.
Yes, I feel so similar! This might sound slightly strange but because the information is a bit more embedded now than in my mocks, I feel less prepared (as I don't feel I can just recall masses of information with no prompt) and it takes me longer. Is this the same for you? Regarding procrastination, I feel that too - I finish exams at around 11 but I never really start work until like 2/3 because I just can't switch off from them and keep on thinking about whether I remembered to put something for an answer. For mocks, it was slightly easier because I had minimum two a day and I knew that whilst they may contribute to TAGs, they were likely to be just mocks. Also, I almost don't feel nervous for exams now - I feel like I have almost been desensitised due to the masses of mocks I have sat, which is good but then I question why I don't feel nervous or anxious. To be honest, sometimes I feel a little deflated and empty and as if I don't care. Definitely looking forward to the summer and then being able to move on to A-Levels!

Bro! I feel exactly the same. Wow I really thought i was alone in this. But help me I keep getting annoyed and worried that because I feel less prepared and I have procrastinated that I will drop a grade in all my subjects. I don't know how to stop this feeling and how to relax and feel confident about future exams. I worried that all this stress could be because I will generally not get the grade I want and that I have failed myself. I don't know what to do, honestly sometimes I feel so down about this I literally cried last night when I was going to sleep. How do I stop this?
Bro! I feel exactly the same. Wow I really thought i was alone in this. But help me I keep getting annoyed and worried that because I feel less prepared and I have procrastinated that I will drop a grade in all my subjects. I don't know how to stop this feeling and how to relax and feel confident about future exams. I worried that all this stress could be because I will generally not get the grade I want and that I have failed myself. I don't know what to do, honestly sometimes I feel so down about this I literally cried last night when I was going to sleep. How do I stop this?

I know this might not be extremely helpful, but it is really hard and difficult to try and throw off. It's great that you've identified it though and hopefully it helps you to know that you aren't alone. I think that writing down thoughts after exams can be really helpful as it is fresh in your mind and, when you look over it, can help to assuage the doubts that always set in after having done it a while ago. It might be really important also to think about your future and things after exams that are not dictated by your grades (e.g. getting time to do hobbies that you haven't been able to do or going places). Having a little escapism is always useful (e.g. I always read more books and films near exams as it helps me to forget for a bit). It might be a good idea to implement a bit of this into your routine, especially as it is half-term now so we have a week of no exams. At night, if the worries are keeping you awake, listening to a relaxing audiobook or meditation, if you like them, can help as the silence is always the worst. Finally, I know this isn't very healthy, but rewarding yourself with something small each day can help (e.g. a takeaway or a drink/ice cream from a cafe) as makes you focus on the things that will definitely come, instead of the things that are uncertain and as such worrying. If your family are supportive and understand what you are feeling, they can also help you with this. Let me know how it goes and it's been really nice knowing that others feel this way too!

Also, confidence is very subjective and many people who act confident are not actually. It's very common to be anxious or worried about the exam after you've finished it (I frequently am), but that's perfectly fine as long as you know that you've done your best.
Also, confidence is very subjective and many people who act confident are not actually. It's very common to be anxious or worried about the exam after you've finished it (I frequently am), but that's perfectly fine as long as you know that you've done your best.

I don't feel though that I have done my best, but thanks for your help have a nice half term

Quick Reply

Latest