The Student Room Group

Predicted A in Further Maths - Applying to Tech Schools

Hi! I'm a year 12 students, taking 4 A Levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry) and an EPQ . I'm hoping to apply to tech schools this year (MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Georgia Tech), and I was wondering if getting predicted an A in further maths would hurt my application - for context, around half of our year will get predicted an A*, and the other half As/Bs. Other aspects of my application will hopefully be strong; I'm hoping for A*s in the other subjects, and I think my SAT/GCSEs/ECs are strong. I was hoping for some advice on how much of an impact the A will have, and if there's any ways that I could potentially compensate. Thanks!
Nah, an A vs an A* in FM is not going to make or break your application. Those Unis have very very low acceptance rate, and they'll look at your entire application. If you don't get in, it won't be because of that, but just because they don't feel you'll fulfill an institutional need or fit their class better than someone else. You're past the academic hurdle with your grades, so it will depend on the rest. GL
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I'm a year 12 students, taking 4 A Levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry) and an EPQ . I'm hoping to apply to tech schools this year (MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Georgia Tech), and I was wondering if getting predicted an A in further maths would hurt my application - for context, around half of our year will get predicted an A*, and the other half As/Bs. Other aspects of my application will hopefully be strong; I'm hoping for A*s in the other subjects, and I think my SAT/GCSEs/ECs are strong. I was hoping for some advice on how much of an impact the A will have, and if there's any ways that I could potentially compensate. Thanks!

Agree with the above poster. A vs A* won't matter at all.

I'd strongly advise against applying to Caltech, though!
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'd be interested to know why you said to avoid Caltech though - has it not lived up to your expectations? How have you found it so far?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'd be interested to know why you said to avoid Caltech though - has it not lived up to your expectations? How have you found it so far?

Caltech is frankly an abusive environment. It puts you under a lot of stress, and administrators are trying to kill everything that makes this school bearable without giving the students any support. Most of the professors aren't great at teaching, and just in general the school is damaging to both mental and physical health.

https://president.caltech.edu/documents/21447/Caltech_Co-Curricular_Group_C3_Final_Report.pdf

Here's a link to a pretty comprehensive document detailing a lot of things about Caltech, but I'll highlight some really good points:

o COFHE Alumni Survey question, “Would you encourage a high school senior who resembles you to attend [Institution]?”
Caltech - 56% of alums either "would" or "definitely would", whereas 14% "probably would not" and 5% "definitely would not"
MIT - 84% either "would" or "definitely would", whereas 5% "probably would not" and 1% "definitely would not"
Ivy - 88% either "would" or "definitely would", whereas 3% "probably would not" and 1% "definitely would not"
Non-Ivy - 85% either "would" or "definitely would", whereas 4% "probably would not" and 1% "definitely would not"

o COFHE Current Student Survey question, “Administrators at [Institution] are genuinely concerned about my welfare.”
Caltech - 51% of students either "disagree" or "disagree strongly"
MIT - 28% of students either "disagree" or "disagree strongly"
COFHE (National) - 23% of students either "disagree" or "disagree strongly"

This is in addition to a number of issues experienced by myself and most other students, that has led to me wanting to transfer and considering filing a lawsuit
Wow that sounds awful and stressful, really sorry to hear that :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending