The Student Room Group

I didn’t tell my bf how old I am

Hello I have a boyfriend for 5 months now. We both live in a long distance relationship but want to meet in the summer holidays there is only one problem... I lied to him when we first met I was actually on this server just for fun with a friend so I thought nothing of it and lied about my age (we are 2 years apart) however it developed into a relationship . Today we had a normal conversation as usual until he said that he thought it would be strange if I was "that much" younger (according to my fake age I'm a year older than him). I really love him very much even though it's such a short time that we've known each other. I feel really bad about it but I don't know how and if I should tell him does anyone have any advice? I know, by the way, that it was wrong of me not to tell him. I often lie on the internet about my age, which might be an advantage for strangers, you never know who is sitting behind the screen, but telling people how old you really are after something like that is even more difficult. Please don't judge me too much I know I made a mistake :smile: !
I think if you like him a lot and feel this relationship is serious and could develop into something more, you should tell him. If he was right for you, he'd understand.
Thank you really much I appreciate the fast answer! Your comment really helps me thank you!

Original post by Anonymous
I think if you like him a lot and feel this relationship is serious and could develop into something more, you should tell him. If he was right for you, he'd understand.
To be clear, how old is he and how old are you? And what did you say your age was?
Original post by Son of the Sea
To be clear, how old is he and how old are you? And what did you say your age was?

Sorry for the confusion haha I am 17 turning 18 at September and he is 19 turning 20 I said my age was 20
Original post by Abiggail_1597
Hello I have a boyfriend for 5 months now. We both live in a long distance relationship but want to meet in the summer holidays there is only one problem... I lied to him when we first met I was actually on this server just for fun with a friend so I thought nothing of it and lied about my age (we are 2 years apart) however it developed into a relationship . Today we had a normal conversation as usual until he said that he thought it would be strange if I was "that much" younger (according to my fake age I'm a year older than him). I really love him very much even though it's such a short time that we've known each other. I feel really bad about it but I don't know how and if I should tell him does anyone have any advice? I know, by the way, that it was wrong of me not to tell him. I often lie on the internet about my age, which might be an advantage for strangers, you never know who is sitting behind the screen, but telling people how old you really are after something like that is even more difficult. Please don't judge me too much I know I made a mistake :smile: !

Be straight up about your age. Would you rather him find out, or you be the one to tell him?

Tell him.

And in the future, don't lie about stupid crap like this. Not even to strangers. Because this will happen again & people will start talking shyt about you because of it eventually. It is bad rep.
Sorry for the confusion haha I am 17 turning 18 at September and he is 19 turning 20 I said my age was 20

Right, well you need to tell him because if this relationship becomes serious he’s obviously going to find out you lied when he meets your parents and relatives among other things. And learn your lesson from this and never lie about your age again, even if you’re just talking to strangers online for fun.
Original post by Lucy.may2
Be straight up about your age. Would you rather him find out, or you be the one to tell him?

Thank you for you comment I didn’t wrote down that I actually wanted to tell him anyways but the fact that he said that it would be wierd if I was that young really shocked and scared me yk ?
Thank you for you comment I didn’t wrote down that I actually wanted to tell him anyways but the fact that he said that it would be wierd if I was that young really shocked and scared me yk ?

I understand your fears, however you could just take this as a lesson to never lie about your age to someone because you never know how serious your relationship could get. It is better to be honest from the start, than having to deal with the stress of keeping a lie going on, or even worse them finding out for themself
This is a completely normal age gap so just fess up. I suspect he won't care. It's not as big a deal as some on here are making out.
Original post by Scotney
This is a completely normal age gap so just fess up. I suspect he won't care. It's not as big a deal as some on here are making out.

Aw Thank you so much! You really help me with that I also think that it’s not that big of age gap and I also wanted to tell him but after he said that it would be wierd if I was my real age I was really scared :I

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending