The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Germany Option 1G 1918-89 Predictions

Anyone have any predictions for the paper on Thursday?
Section A:To what extent was spontaneous protest a greater threat to the Nazi government than organised protests in the years 1933 to 45? Section B:Comparison of education between FRG and Weimar maybeOr dissent shown towards Weimar government and FRGSection C:h:ow far did the policy of pan-Germanism contribute to the outbreak of the war?Or something about Nazi-Soviet pact/Poland , Lebansraum
Reply 2
hiya sorry, what do you mean by 'spontaneous' protests of Nazi Germany? do you have any examples?
Original post by is2004
hiya sorry, what do you mean by 'spontaneous' protests of Nazi Germany? do you have any examples?

(Original post by is2004) Spontaneous as in not organised protests , random protests which usually occured in response to a certain Nazi policy. Nazis took note of public reaction and proceeded with caution in certain events such as how they dealt with the Church. Harder to supress since its spontaneous and not organised. Organised protest would make it much easier for secret police to suppress. Importance of this is that Nazis took note and it did influence their action taking. Examples of spontaneous protest would be Hitler trying to take Czechoslovakia diplomatically at the Munich conference rather than militarily as he was told that the crowds were not enthusiastic about it. Another example would be the imprisonment of Theophill Wurm and Hans Meiser which caused public outcry. This led to Nazis releasing them and thereafter moving cautiously against the Church.

Not spontaneous would be organised protests and dissent shown towards the government because they genuinely disliked the Nazi government and not just because of 1 Nazi policy. Examples of this would be Red Shock troop , SOPADE , workers sabotage etc

BTW WHAT ARE YOUR PREDICTIONS FOR THE PAPER ON THURSDAY BASED ON THE ADVANCED INFO AND TOPICS THAT HAVEN’T BEEN ASKED IN THE PAST
Reply 4
my teacher is convinced there will be an education comparison in Pt. B + a similar repeat of the Weimar Qs in the past for Pt. A as they seem to be a favourite with the exam board! Thanks btw, our teacher has never gone over half of that!!
(Original post by is2004)my teacher is convinced there will be an education comparison in Pt. B + a similar repeat of the Weimar Qs in the past for Pt. A as they seem to be a favourite with the exam board! Thanks btw, our teacher has never gone over half of that!!

Theres a paragraph on sponataneous protests and a couple of paragraphs on not spontaneous protests in the textbook/revision guide. For section A Weimar what topic do you think it will be? Personally they have already rinsed political and governmental change with some questions on ToV , and culture and education there isn't much to write about and would more likely be in a Section B question where they compare the whole time period. Economic problems would be a nice question since there is a lot to write about for eg hyperinflation , great depression , economic problems caused by ww2 , reparations etc.

For Section B they have asked us to revise the whole time period for Opposition control and consent , which can be seen as a huge indicator that it will be one of the options for the Section B question. and education and culture could come up seeing that they havent asked much of it in the past.

For Section C they have rinsed appeasement/role of other countries and also Hitler and his ideological convictions. So maybe a question focused on pan-Germanism or Lebensraum?
Reply 6
likely economy maybe for Weimar as you've said? Yep, I said education for Pt. B or my teacher thinks it could be a Pt. A Q on FRG education but idk about that. Bit confused tbh how they can ask us to address opposition, control + consent over 3 periods, not really sure what they'd ask, do you have any ideas? I don't think its likely they'll ask us a Q on Hitler either for Pt. C, as it has been brought up way too many times! My teacher seems to think role of other powers may come up, but I think maybe it'll be a structuralist based Q potentially as not many of them have been asked?
Original post by is2004
likely economy maybe for Weimar as you've said? Yep, I said education for Pt. B or my teacher thinks it could be a Pt. A Q on FRG education but idk about that. Bit confused tbh how they can ask us to address opposition, control + consent over 3 periods, not really sure what they'd ask, do you have any ideas? I don't think its likely they'll ask us a Q on Hitler either for Pt. C, as it has been brought up way too many times! My teacher seems to think role of other powers may come up, but I think maybe it'll be a structuralist based Q potentially as not many of them have been asked?

Role of other countries has come up just as much as Hitler tho so im not sure about that. FRG education could possibly be about de-Nazification policies maybe and how successful or unsuccessful they were. Or if they decide to make it really hard maybe how Nazi idealogy and racist policies were significant for creating cultural tensions in the FRG.

For opposition control and consent they could ask how similar was opposition between the whole time period for eg the methods used by Germans to protest. Because Nazis were more ruthless in stopping opposition compared to the 2 democracies of FRG and Weimar
Original post by Johnlad321
Anyone have any predictions for the paper on Thursday?

I think Section A could maybe be on the later years of the Weimar Republic about the collapse. All the practice questions appear to political extremism so that could be linked since the AD is the whole timeperiod for opposition so the two could be linked. I'm hoping the other one is education or culture probably in the FRG as that one hasn't come up at all. (That could be in section B though comparing it to the WR or Nazi, yet it has been done before in practice questions)

The perfect Section B would be Opposition, control democracy etc or the economy. It could be the whole FRG timeframe since that has happened before. It could be a whole period question since one of the past papers was looking at WW2 being a turning point for the economy from 1918-89. That would be really harsh though.

Section C will probably be around Lebensraum or possibly the influence of an alliance such as Japan, Italy or the USSR.

What are you guys doing to revise tonight and what grades are you hoping for?
Reply 9
the only predictions i have are a weimar q in part a and either a culture/education comparison q or opposition comparison q in part b. i haven't a clue tho and its stressing me out :frown:
Original post by andra:)
the only predictions i have are a weimar q in part a and either a culture/education comparison q or opposition comparison q in part b. i haven't a clue tho and its stressing me out :frown:

Same. I want an opposition comparison on Nazi vs FRG or Weimar vs FRG! Or the Nazi economy vs FRG economy, that one would be nice because its social market vs command. Or maybe weimar economy vs Nazi economy
Original post by Lara1212l
Same. I want an opposition comparison on Nazi vs FRG or Weimar vs FRG! Or the Nazi economy vs FRG economy, that one would be nice because its social market vs command. Or maybe weimar economy vs Nazi economy

i thought they had taken out nazi economic development/policies with the advanced information? but yeah an opposition question would be great, there's a lot to write about :smile:

Nazi economy is not on the advanced information , its not coming up
Could people on this forum make their predictions for the topics that are likely to come up and rephrase it into actual questions to make it easier to understand and visualise what to talk about please?
Original post by johncena26
Nazi economy is not on the advanced information , its not coming up

Wow I did not see that. That is brilliant. I've revised that. Ahhh. Oh well not that big a deal. Then lets hope Weimar vs FRG
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm just saying it better be opposition or support for democracy in section B then or crises in the FRG economy
I'm just saying it better be opposition or support for democracy in section B then or crises in the FRG economy

What would you write about for opposition or support for democracy , im really confused as to what to write about and dont know where to look at in the textbook.
Original post by johncena26
What would you write about for opposition or support for democracy , im really confused as to what to write about and dont know where to look at in the textbook.

WR- Politcial extremism, voter turnout etc.
Nazi- White Rose Group, Confessing Church, assassination attempts of Hitler
FRG- voter turnout not going below 83% other than in 1949. Protests for democratic principals etc, neo-nazism
(edited 1 year ago)
WR- Politcial extremism, voter turnout etc.
Nazi- White Rose Group, Confessing Church, assassination attempts of Hitler
FRG- voter turnout not going below 83% other than in 1949. Protests for democratic principals etc, neo-nazism

Thank you so much. One last question what specific topics do you think will come up for Section A or B based on what they havent asked in the past if you had to bet on it?

So I can focus my revision more on that
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending