The Student Room Group

I need some advice for school..

So.. I'm in high school. I'm smart (not like really smart, but decent). Lately, I've not been motivated to do my homework. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shawn2006
So.. I'm in high school. I'm smart (not like really smart, but decent). Lately, I've not been motivated to do my homework. Any advice?

Same here… predicted grades are very high but I’m falling behind a bit on homework, and unfortunately most of it is my art coursework, which counts towards my grade so it’s kinda super important.
For art, I’ve made a timetable of what I need to do each week and how long I have before the deadline. It’s then just a case of trying to force myself to do it, which is easier said than done.

So some suggestions for you: plan your time, bribe yourself (e.g. chocolate), regular breaks, plan to go out somewhere when you’re done, or study with a friend - even if you just call rather than meet, they can help you stay motivated.

Hope something helps but honestly I’m stuck in the same position!
Reply 2
Original post by RushingRiver
Same here… predicted grades are very high but I’m falling behind a bit on homework, and unfortunately most of it is my art coursework, which counts towards my grade so it’s kinda super important.
For art, I’ve made a timetable of what I need to do each week and how long I have before the deadline. It’s then just a case of trying to force myself to do it, which is easier said than done.

So some suggestions for you: plan your time, bribe yourself (e.g. chocolate), regular breaks, plan to go out somewhere when you’re done, or study with a friend - even if you just call rather than meet, they can help you stay motivated.

Hope something helps but honestly I’m stuck in the same position!

Thanks! I've tried to do a "To-Do List" but it didn't really work well.

Yeah that didn’t work for me either but it stops me forgetting things at least :redface:

Bit of an off topic question but if you don’t mind… can I ask if you and Jonsie55 (not tagging in case you don’t want her to see this) are still together?

Hi. You’re doing really well to notice that you’ve fallen behind and acknowledge that. My son tends to arrange to do discord calls with his friends who have the same work to do. They work through the problems together. When that subject is done he has a break then goes onto the next. When they’ve finished for the evening they’ll play a game together online for a bit. Would you be able to maybe arrange something like that?
hey i feel you!
here are some tips
- perhaps you and a friend could get together on a call and solve questions, papers or just join the call and do your own thing and show each other your progress after 20 minutes, and ask each other questions.
-use a pomodoro timer, just search it up on youtube and work consistently along with your todo list and then take a break after 25 minutes of studying.#
-make your goals in your todo list realistic instead of 'finish the maths assignment' rather 'complete the questions from topic 1', make it more realistic and achievable
-use an actual physical todo list, yk get the satisfaction of crossing out the task after you done with it. swoooooooosh

hopefully some of these help!
Reply 6
Yeah that didn’t work for me either but it stops me forgetting things at least :redface:

Bit of an off topic question but if you don’t mind… can I ask if you and Jonsie55 (not tagging in case you don’t want her to see this) are still together?

Yeah.. or i think.. my other account got banned cause i was dumb and didn't read the terms and service so i had to make another account.. how'd you know tho?
Yeah.. or i think.. my other account got banned cause i was dumb and didn't read the terms and service so i had to make another account.. how'd you know tho?

Well **** I think we have a problem
She told me you’d stopped talking so she started talking to me instead and now it seems we kinda like each other…
I’m so sorry, please don’t take this the wrong way, I’ll ask her privately about this when she’s next online. I really thought you two were done, and if I’d known you weren’t, I wouldn’t have made a move.

For the record, we’re not dating. Just talking.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. You’re doing really well to notice that you’ve fallen behind and acknowledge that. My son tends to arrange to do discord calls with his friends who have the same work to do. They work through the problems together. When that subject is done he has a break then goes onto the next. When they’ve finished for the evening they’ll play a game together online for a bit. Would you be able to maybe arrange something like that?

I did have Discord on my tablet, but my parents got mad at me because I was talking to people in other countries (they were worried they may be child predators and I understand them for that).
Reply 9
Well **** I think we have a problem
She told me you’d stopped talking so she started talking to me instead and now it seems we kinda like each other…
I’m so sorry, please don’t take this the wrong way, I’ll ask her privately about this when she’s next online. I really thought you two were done, and if I’d known you weren’t, I wouldn’t have made a move.

For the record, we’re not dating. Just talking.

It's fine. You didn't know. And thanks for telling me. I have to log into my xbox in the morning on my gmail (long story lol) to verify my account so i can message people.. can you tell her that please?
It's fine. You didn't know. And thanks for telling me. I have to log into my xbox in the morning on my gmail (long story lol) to verify my account so i can message people.. can you tell her that please?

Of course, I’ll tell her everything now. Please don’t be mad at her or anything, it sounds like she thought you weren’t coming back.
Of course, I’ll tell her everything now. Please don’t be mad at her or anything, it sounds like she thought you weren’t coming back.

It's fine. To be honest.. I didn't think I would be back either lol. I spent an hour with a piece of paper writing down what I thought my password was for my gmail.
It's fine. To be honest.. I didn't think I would be back either lol. I spent an hour with a piece of paper writing down what I thought my password was for my gmail.

Thanks for being so understanding, I’ve sent her a PM letting her know what’s going on, and made it clear that as long as you two are together, the two of us are just friends :smile:
Thanks for being so understanding, I’ve sent her a PM letting her know what’s going on, and made it clear that as long as you two are together, the two of us are just friends :smile:

Thanks, man. Also.. how did you know this was me?
Thanks, man. Also.. how did you know this was me?

Very similar username, it’s quite obvious :tongue:
Shawn 6, Shawn 2006 - seeing both of those usernames belonging to different people in such a short space of time is highly unlikely!
Very similar username, it’s quite obvious :tongue:
Shawn 6, Shawn 2006 - seeing both of those usernames belonging to different people in such a short space of time is highly unlikely!

Lol. True. But what if I was a random person?
Lol. True. But what if I was a random person?

Then I would’ve backed away slowly and awkwardly :lol:
Then I would’ve backed away slowly and awkwardly :lol:

lol yeah.. also she's online now!
lol yeah.. also she's online now!

I know. It kinda hurts, ngl, but you two are sweet together :smile:
I know. It kinda hurts, ngl, but you two are sweet together :smile:

Dang man now i feel bad. Thanks tho! If it helps I hope you find your missing piece! Before I meet her i prayed to god every single night for someone to enter my life (and i don't even believe in the bible lol).. i guess i just wanted something to help me believe.. you know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending