The Student Room Group

Cytoplasm vs cytosol

What is the difference between the cytoplasm and the cytosol, or are they just the same thing?
they're the same :smile:
Original post by Cuspake
What is the difference between the cytoplasm and the cytosol, or are they just the same thing?
Original post by turkeydinosaur16
they're the same :smile:

No, they're not.
Original post by Cuspake

Cytosol: the aqueous interior of the cell, i.e. the ICF
Cytoplasm: the entire contents bounded by the cell membrane - contains organelles, the cytosol, etc etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
No, they're not.

Cytoplasm: the entire contents bounded by the cell membrane - contains organelles, the cytosol, etc etc.

Thank you! For A Level is it fine to just say cytoplasm instead of referring to the cytosol?
No, they're not.

At this level they are
(edited 1 year ago)
At this level they are

No, they’re not the same at any level.
Original post by Cuspake
Thank you! For A Level is it fine to just say cytoplasm instead of referring to the cytosol?

9 times out of 10 you'll be referring to the cytoplasm, so I'd stick with that word.

At this level they are

Wrong again.
Reply 7
9 times out of 10 you'll be referring to the cytoplasm, so I'd stick with that word.

Wrong again.

Thank you

Wrong again.

Well it's carried me through A Levels and undergrad so far so we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I am yet to encounter a question where the distinction has been important :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending