The Student Room Group

Will the Priest Story disqualifications lower the grade boundaries?

Since those who used the priest story as part of Eng Lan paper 1, they’re papers getting disqualified, and there’s talks of every AQA paper they’ve done being disqualified as well (don’t quote me on that, though, unreliable source), so will that lower the grade boundaries? Or will they just not be involved with the maths used to calculate said boundaries?

Cause if they’re not involved in the maths then our boundaries are shooting WELL up, since it was mostly “lower” schools using them

Scroll to see replies

Where exactly has this been officially confirmed that those papers are being disqualified?
i actually find this quite funny, because i've been on a few threads where people have said similar things as you have.
no one is being DISQUALIFIED because of using a plot from a teacher, it's not plagiarism and if the exam board(s) disqualify all the year 11s who have used that plot, then they would disqualify everyone who used the description and if in previous years they wrote a story similar to a book e.g. using wizards- harry potter
if people would be disqualified, we most likely wouldn't sit any other exams from that exam board- and i'm having a re exam in a couple hours :smile:
saying it was mostly 'lower school' it actually quite rude- not sure whether you meant it or not but that's my opinion.
i wouldn't listen to anything on social media being said about papers, only the exam board can accurately comment on that- if you're talking about that 'aqa tweet' it's fake.
Original post by RobinWithAY
Since those who used the priest story as part of Eng Lan paper 1, they’re papers getting disqualified, and there’s talks of every AQA paper they’ve done being disqualified as well (don’t quote me on that, though, unreliable source), so will that lower the grade boundaries? Or will they just not be involved with the maths used to calculate said boundaries?

Cause if they’re not involved in the maths then our boundaries are shooting WELL up, since it was mostly “lower” schools using them
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Where exactly has this been officially confirmed that those papers are being disqualified?

I think someone photoshopped an AQA tweet and has been circulating it.
They're not getting disqualified. Plagiarism is not really a thing taken seriously at GCSE outside of coursework and isn't really possible in the context of a GCSE exam without cheating.

Following ideas that a YouTube video or teacher gave you, or even trying to replicate it closely, would not be taken seriously at this level. (the accuracy of such a replication is unlikely to be very high, since you're in an exam hall without notes, so you will probably interpolate with quite a lot of originalish prose...)
(edited 1 year ago)
They are not being disqualified.

They MAY be restricted to bands 1 and 2 or half marks for Question 5 as it doesn't fit the criteria of "communicating imaginitively and creatively", but they won't be disqualified, or zero-marked for Q5.
No they won’t be disqualified but they probably will get lower marks for q5 and be able to get 25/40 as the maximum.
Original post by JesseKansas
They are not being disqualified.

They MAY be restricted to bands 1 and 2 or half marks for Question 5 as it doesn't fit the criteria of "communicating imaginitively and creatively", but they won't be disqualified, or zero-marked for Q5.

no, 'creativity' or this 'originality' is not on the mark scheme.
Original post by dahlia06
no, 'creativity' or this 'originality' is not on the mark scheme.

In any case, even if your piece was highly derivative from a film you saw/book you read, it'd be hard not to inject some originality while also satisfying the brief the question gives you.
What a ridiculous story. In English literature, for example, model answers are frequently taught and rote learned. All of these aren't given a 0 for plagiarism, so this weird priest story or whatever (I sat my exams in 2018) won't be marked down either.

English has high grade boundaries anyway so.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by _gcx
In any case, even if your piece was highly derivative from a film you saw/book you read, it'd be hard not to inject some originality while also satisfying the brief the question gives you.

right definitely, everyone has their own twist to their response!
Original post by wiseowlz72
What a ridiculous story. In English literature, for example, model answers are frequently taught and rote learned. All of these aren't given a 0 for plagiarism, so this weird priest story or whatever (I sat my exams in 2018) won't be marked down either.

English has high grade boundaries anyway so.

Yea, I would be surprised if anyone ever wrote anything original for their GCSE exams.
Original post by vicvic38
Yea, I would be surprised if anyone ever wrote anything original for their GCSE exams.

I did. My story was about an old woman wearing black going up a hill to a grave in horrible weather.
she grieves and cries and says how she misses ‘her’. She reminisces her past about when the girl was alive and received a beautiful doll from her mother. She was so happy and played with the doll everywhere. The rain stops. And the old woman disappears, a doll was left on the grave. The old woman was the dolls ghost/spirit, not the mother of the girl.
Original post by Honey57
I did. My story was about an old woman wearing black going up a hill to a grave in horrible weather.
she grieves and cries and says how she misses ‘her’. She reminisces her past about when the girl was alive and received a beautiful doll from her mother. She was so happy and played with the doll everywhere. The rain stops. And the old woman disappears, a doll was left on the grave. The old woman was the dolls ghost/spirit, not the mother of the girl.

So, spooky Toy Story?
Original post by vicvic38
So, spooky Toy Story?

No. I didn’t even think about toy story. I never thought of it. All original.
Original post by Honey57
No. I didn’t even think about toy story. I never thought of it. All original.

so what's the difference between someone using the priest plot story and someone just randomly thinking of a priest basis for their story? gon get 25/40 maximum:wink:
Original post by RobinWithAY

Focus on the rest of your GCSEs. It’ll be fine.
so what's the difference between someone using the priest plot story and someone just randomly thinking of a priest basis for their story? gon get 25/40 maximum:wink:

FYI I did my GCSEs in 2019. Doesn’t matter, if 2/5 students used the story, they won’t be able to get more than 25 marks, unless it’s really different from the original.
Original post by Honey57
FYI I did my GCSEs in 2019. Doesn’t matter, if 2/5 students used the story, they won’t be able to get more than 25 marks, unless it’s really different from the original.

if you say so aqa examiner:wink:
i actually find this quite funny, because i've been on a few threads where people have said similar things as you have.
no one is being DISQUALIFIED because of using a plot from a teacher, it's not plagiarism and if the exam board(s) disqualify all the year 11s who have used that plot, then they would disqualify everyone who used the description and if in previous years they wrote a story similar to a book e.g. using wizards- harry potter
if people would be disqualified, we most likely wouldn't sit any other exams from that exam board- and i'm having a re exam in a couple hours :smile:
saying it was mostly 'lower school' it actually quite rude- not sure whether you meant it or not but that's my opinion.
i wouldn't listen to anything on social media being said about papers, only the exam board can accurately comment on that- if you're talking about that 'aqa tweet' it's fake.

I did mean that bit about lower schools, cause I’m from one of em (Thornaby Academy, up the lads) and we’re all thick as pig waste and twice as ugly, myself included.

Quick Reply

Latest