The Student Room Group

Vegan dilemma

I’ve been vegan and environment conscious for the past three months. To prove my commitment to veganism, I’ve kept two tins of meat pie in my kitchen, it’s the only plant non based food that I actually miss.

Anyway, there best before dates are approaching- 08/22 and 10/22. As an environment conscious person, I can’t wilfully allow food to go to waste. On the other hand, I don’t want promote meat consumption.
Just give it away to someone who you know eats meat and will enjoy the two tins.
Or a local food bank that you support which accepts donations of canned meat.
Original post by londonmyst
Just give it away to someone who you know eats meat and will enjoy the two tins.
Or a local food bank that you support which accepts donations of canned meat.

I don’t want to promote meat eating though. I also don’t want facilitate people who otherwise wouldn’t have consumed meat eating it.
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been vegan and environment conscious for the past three months. To prove my commitment to veganism, I’ve kept two tins of meat pie in my kitchen, it’s the only plant non based food that I actually miss.

Anyway, there best before dates are approaching- 08/22 and 10/22. As an environment conscious person, I can’t wilfully allow food to go to waste. On the other hand, I don’t want promote meat consumption.

yep you can give it away. but you could argue that since you have already boaght the tins, and the animals are already dead you have already given money to the "meat organisation" and the damadge to the animal ha been done. actually eating the food wont have an effect on anything. i think it would be the same as eating a cow that died of old age. its dead already why not eat it?
I don’t want to promote meat eating though. I also don’t want facilitate people who otherwise wouldn’t have consumed meat eating it.

You won't be promoting eating meat.
Eating meat is a choice just as veganism is.
Most adults who enjoy eating meat or consuming other animal derived products have made the decision not to go down the vegetarian route or pursue a vegan lifestyle and will never change their mind.
Giving away the unwanted tins just helps out a fan of meat pie who would otherwise have bought it from a shop or possibly stolen it from your rubbish/a shop and risked being arrested.
Original post by londonmyst
You won't be promoting eating meat.
Eating meat is a choice just as veganism is.
Most adults who enjoy eating meat or consuming other animal derived products have made the decision not to go down the vegetarian route or pursue a vegan lifestyle and will never change their mind.
Giving away the unwanted tins just helps out a fan of meat pie who would otherwise have bought it from a shop or possibly stolen it from your rubbish/a shop and risked being arrested.

ARE YOU equating food bank users with COMMON THEIVES :mad:
Meat is addictive, it’s consumption isn’t choice a lone.
Meat is addictive, it’s consumption isn’t choice a lone.

Many people of all backgrounds & economic circumstances have a very harsh stance against food waste and will help themselves to any unopened cans of items they consume/like the look of that they find thrown away as a matter of personal habit.

I disagree with you.
Diet and lifestyle preferences are a choice.
Most people choose to be omnivores.
I choose to eat two types of meat and also choose not to eat or drink plenty of other types of foods.
With all due respect to your cause, I feel like you have three choices here:

1. throw it away

2. eat it for the sake of not wasting food

3. give it up to someone who would it eat as it isn't a way to promote meat consumption
Reply 8
Well done on becoming vegan. Throw it in food waste for composting. Alternatively add it to a supermarket donation bank, these animals have sadly already given up their lives and I would scarcely describe two pie tins as promoting meat eating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending