The Student Room Group

english and history

so im in yr 10 and my mocks are coming quite soon, but im really not doing well in english or history. i used to be quite good but my grades have been worsening over the past year and i cant quite write the way i used to and im worried for these mocks. does anyone have any advice on how to revise for english or history gcse?
hi I'm sitting my gcses at the moment and I'm predicted 9s in both of these subjects so hopefully I can help. I would say for history stay on top of content however works best for you- flashcards, mindmaps etc and just try lots of practice questions- really get to know the question structure because its different for each paper. for English lit practice is best! re-read the texts your studying it really does help even if that seems like a lot of effort, learn your quotes- flashcards is great for this! try massolit lectures because they do some really good breakdowns and contexts of the text- especially if your aiming for a higher level. mr bruff on youtube does some good videos too. when writing a response use a set structure- i don't know what you've been taught but i do topic sentence, quote- analysis using key subject terminology (define- what does the word mean, explore- so what could this suggest and effects, connect- link to other parts of the book or another quote e.g if its an extended metaphor find where else its used) and do birds eye view and authors intention- get in context too- this can be historical or just deeper meanings. and honestly for English Lang- I don't really revise but practice papers are good- just know the structure of every question well.
Reply 2
Original post by daveisbae
hi I'm sitting my gcses at the moment and I'm predicted 9s in both of these subjects so hopefully I can help. I would say for history stay on top of content however works best for you- flashcards, mindmaps etc and just try lots of practice questions- really get to know the question structure because its different for each paper. for English lit practice is best! re-read the texts your studying it really does help even if that seems like a lot of effort, learn your quotes- flashcards is great for this! try massolit lectures because they do some really good breakdowns and contexts of the text- especially if your aiming for a higher level. mr bruff on youtube does some good videos too. when writing a response use a set structure- i don't know what you've been taught but i do topic sentence, quote- analysis using key subject terminology (define- what does the word mean, explore- so what could this suggest and effects, connect- link to other parts of the book or another quote e.g if its an extended metaphor find where else its used) and do birds eye view and authors intention- get in context too- this can be historical or just deeper meanings. and honestly for English Lang- I don't really revise but practice papers are good- just know the structure of every question well.

ive used mr bruff in the past and found him really useful. weve been given set structures in class, but i tend to not use it in the stress of exams so ill keep this in mind and use it more often. our school has a subscription with massolit, so ill definitely check out their videos. thank you so much for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest