The Student Room Group

how do i loose weight

ive been struggling with my weight and it isn't too much of a problem, however it really lowers my self esteem and i just want to feel healthier. last year in the summer i tried the keto diet as well as did cardio for around 2 hours a day for a little over a month, and barely saw any change. This year my weight stayed somewhat the same by avoiding eating breads and starch and stuff. Im currently doing my igcses so i dont really have the time or motivation to exercise much, nor do i have any gym nearby for the summer, and i feel like cardio isnt really helping. Currently im just having little snacks and avoiding full meals (not starving myself or anything )in hopes that'll do soemthing along with cycling.

please give me some tips on how to manage my weight and reduce my bloating tysmmm
Walks and cycling really helped me not just with my weight but mental health. Im overweight and just lie in bed all day cos I just don't have the energy. Walking just helps me calm down and its good exercise. Just never give up, I believe that you can do it.
Reply 2
Maybe if you have the money, invest in some weights and try doing weight training. It is a really good weigh to maintain a healthy body and a good physique without worrying too much about what you eat or doing lots of cardio.
Reply 3
Be in a calorie deficit, through diet and/or exercise. Use an online calculator to work out what yours is.

Don't skimp on eating; you shouldn't just be cutting calories per se, but getting the right nutrition in terms of the food groups, minerals, vitamins etc.

You don't need a gym to lose weight. Cycle, walk, use your body and household items like bottles and tins as weights to exercise at home; there is plenty of online advice on exercises like these.
hey... it's me from the english lit powerpoint
i'm sorry you're feeling like this, but please please do not avoid full meals - especially when you're in the middle of your exams. your brain needs all the nutrients it needs (including starch and carbohydrates). not eating full meals and only eating snacks will result in you and your brain being malnourished, and believe me it's not something you need right now if you're trying to get good grades. if anything, increase your meal sizes and after your exams are over, you can decrease them. but only a little bit as only eating snacks and avoiding proper meals actually slows down your metabolism (which is the rate that your body digests food). having a fast metabolism is key to weight loss, so your body needs enough food for this. also if your body is lacking food it'll actually preserve your fat on your body as it thinks that there is a shortage of food, so it doesn't want you to suffer. this is why eating full and substantial meals are important
with exercise, if you had a treadmill the one thing that i would recommend is the 12-3-30 workout (walking on 12 incline, for 3 miles per hour (4.8 km) for 30 minutes). i used to go on the treadmill nearly every day but this workout is wayy harder than it seems, and i'm a generally fit person. i was literally sweating after that and i never sweat haha, so if you (or anyone else reading this) tries this and feels bad for not being able to complete it, don't worry. literally even i couldn't do the full 30 minutes (i got up to 26 i didn't even have the stamina to do 4 more). so anyways i recommend this because it's a quick workout and you can listen to a revision podcast if you want. but bear in mind it takes a month to see some results, and you need to do this consistently (every 1/2 days) and eat healthily (with full meals)
also girl don't even worry about bloating. everybodyyy gets it. even if you see people walking around the street with flat stomachs, 99.9999% of the time they're bloated and they're sucking it in. also remember, bloating does not equal fat! i see this misconception everywhere and i really need to put this right. bloating is mostly gas - and it's completely normal. but if you're really that bothered with it then taking care of your gut might help. like having probiotics and reducing your salt intake a lot could reduce bloating but as i said before don't worry about it because everybody (man, woman or non binary) gets it! :smile:
also my last point is - drink 2 liters of water a day. seriously. it helps so much. the only bad thing about that is that i've noticed that i get more bloated that day that i drink it, but they day afterwards i feel like my bloating has reduced overall so yeah :smile: don't worry about anything right now while you're doing your exams, you really don't need this added stress
i just realised i wrote a whole ass essay but i really hope this helped!!
Original post by psychstudent2625
ive been struggling with my weight and it isn't too much of a problem, however it really lowers my self esteem and i just want to feel healthier. last year in the summer i tried the keto diet as well as did cardio for around 2 hours a day for a little over a month, and barely saw any change. This year my weight stayed somewhat the same by avoiding eating breads and starch and stuff. Im currently doing my igcses so i dont really have the time or motivation to exercise much, nor do i have any gym nearby for the summer, and i feel like cardio isnt really helping. Currently im just having little snacks and avoiding full meals (not starving myself or anything )in hopes that'll do soemthing along with cycling.

please give me some tips on how to manage my weight and reduce my bloating tysmmm

If you’re doing 2 hours a day and doing “keto” you must’ve been doing it wrong if you didn’t loose weight (or your already too skinny).

Losing body fat is essentially how much you consume versus how much you burn. Want to lose weight: be more active, eat less calories…
Original post by ArizonaRobbins
hey... it's me from the english lit powerpoint
i'm sorry you're feeling like this, but please please do not avoid full meals - especially when you're in the middle of your exams. your brain needs all the nutrients it needs (including starch and carbohydrates). not eating full meals and only eating snacks will result in you and your brain being malnourished, and believe me it's not something you need right now if you're trying to get good grades. if anything, increase your meal sizes and after your exams are over, you can decrease them. but only a little bit as only eating snacks and avoiding proper meals actually slows down your metabolism (which is the rate that your body digests food). having a fast metabolism is key to weight loss, so your body needs enough food for this. also if your body is lacking food it'll actually preserve your fat on your body as it thinks that there is a shortage of food, so it doesn't want you to suffer. this is why eating full and substantial meals are important
with exercise, if you had a treadmill the one thing that i would recommend is the 12-3-30 workout (walking on 12 incline, for 3 miles per hour (4.8 km) for 30 minutes). i used to go on the treadmill nearly every day but this workout is wayy harder than it seems, and i'm a generally fit person. i was literally sweating after that and i never sweat haha, so if you (or anyone else reading this) tries this and feels bad for not being able to complete it, don't worry. literally even i couldn't do the full 30 minutes (i got up to 26 i didn't even have the stamina to do 4 more). so anyways i recommend this because it's a quick workout and you can listen to a revision podcast if you want. but bear in mind it takes a month to see some results, and you need to do this consistently (every 1/2 days) and eat healthily (with full meals)
also girl don't even worry about bloating. everybodyyy gets it. even if you see people walking around the street with flat stomachs, 99.9999% of the time they're bloated and they're sucking it in. also remember, bloating does not equal fat! i see this misconception everywhere and i really need to put this right. bloating is mostly gas - and it's completely normal. but if you're really that bothered with it then taking care of your gut might help. like having probiotics and reducing your salt intake a lot could reduce bloating but as i said before don't worry about it because everybody (man, woman or non binary) gets it! :smile:
also my last point is - drink 2 liters of water a day. seriously. it helps so much. the only bad thing about that is that i've noticed that i get more bloated that day that i drink it, but they day afterwards i feel like my bloating has reduced overall so yeah :smile: don't worry about anything right now while you're doing your exams, you really don't need this added stress
i just realised i wrote a whole ass essay but i really hope this helped!!

OMG HII and omg tysmmm and omg nonooo i thought perhaps lowering my food intake but still eating snacks with like decent amount of calories might like control my over eating and snacking or something and lower my metabolism but shiii. and omg i can try the treadmil thing cus ive got a mini break coming in my exams so tysm for that i can try doing that consistently on alternate days! Also yeahhh ig youre right about the bloating thing but omg water yasss i kinda forgot about water since exams started heh so ty for thatt. and omg tysm for everything ily<3
Original post by mnot
If you’re doing 2 hours a day and doing “keto” you must’ve been doing it wrong if you didn’t loose weight (or your already too skinny).

Losing body fat is essentially how much you consume versus how much you burn. Want to lose weight: be more active, eat less calories…

oo tyy ill be keeping that in mind
You could try Chloe Ting's 2 week shred :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

It is on youtube btw
Original post by Anonymous

ooo yeahh i could do that in the summer thanks for the suggestion!
ooo yeahh i could do that in the summer thanks for the suggestion!

No problem sweetie, just remember you should focus on your confidence + self esteem rather than how much weight you can lose :smile:
OMG HII and omg tysmmm and omg nonooo i thought perhaps lowering my food intake but still eating snacks with like decent amount of calories might like control my over eating and snacking or something and lower my metabolism but shiii. and omg i can try the treadmil thing cus ive got a mini break coming in my exams so tysm for that i can try doing that consistently on alternate days! Also yeahhh ig youre right about the bloating thing but omg water yasss i kinda forgot about water since exams started heh so ty for thatt. and omg tysm for everything ily<3

haha no problem! i'm so glad you found it helpful :smile: :smile: i love helping people especially with looking after their bodies so i'm really happy haha
ily tooo <333

Quick Reply

Latest