The Student Room Group

someone help me

so i really wanted to go to uni of manchester for law but I got rejected through ucas. I do have other conditional offers. so I was wondering what if I get the grades for my firm choice on results day however the grades that i get also meet uni of manchester requirements for law. Can i call them on my results day and apply again? (ofc if they have a space available). then what will happen to my firm choice uni? any other advice or tips?
I believe you would have to go to clearing, but that might require rejecting your firm choice on the day?
Your chances of getting a Clearing place for Law at any top Uni this year is essentially nil.
If you are that keen on Manchester, reapply next year.
Or accept that its not going to happen and go Firm somewhere else.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Your chances of getting a Clearing place for Law at any top Uni this year is essentially nil.
If you are that keen on Manchester, reapply next year.
Or accept that its not going to happen and go Firm somewhere else.

why is it nill? what if someone doesn't meet the requirements?
(Original post by ToGodly)why is it nill? what if someone doesn't meet the requirements?

Because the number of applicants massively outweighs the number of spaces, This year with grade inflation expected there isnt going to be spaces as they have already been made. Just meeting the grades doesnt mean you get an offer.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
(Original post by ToGodly)why is it nill? what if someone doesn't meet the requirements?

Because the number of applicants massively outweighs the number of spaces, This year with grade inflation expected there isnt going to be spaces as they have already been made. Just meeting the grades doesnt mean you get an offer

ye I understand how unlikely is for me to get a place after getting rejected but I thought what if I give it a try, anyways with grade inflation you mean less students will get top grades? i already have a conditional offer from the University of Leeds but it's really far.
Original post by ToGodly
why is it nill? what if someone doesn't meet the requirements?

Becase Law is such a prestigious 'flagship' course - no Uni is going to risk its reputation by putting that into Clearing.
Any spaces - if there are any - will be filled with existing Firm offer holders who are a 'near miss'.
Original post by ToGodly
ye I understand how unlikely is for me to get a place after getting rejected but I thought what if I give it a try, anyways with grade inflation you mean less students will get top grades? i already have a conditional offer from the University of Leeds but it's really far.

No the exact opposite more students are getting higher grades so students arent missing their offers. In 2019 8% achieved the A* grade. Last year 23% reached it. More people having higher grades for the same number of people. Over the years top universities havent gone into clearing and it is even less likely to happen this year for Law.

Have a look at ucas course search for a popular course filter on show courses with vacancies. Hardly any top universities come up. They have closed their courses and wont be reopening them. They are confident they can reach their numbers accepting student with a dropped grade if needs must.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
Becase Law is such a prestigious 'flagship' course - no Uni is going to risk its reputation by putting that into Clearing.
Any spaces - if there are any - will be filled with existing Firm offer holders who are a 'near miss'.

oh well it is what it is then.

No the exact opposite more students are getting higher grades so students arent missing their offers. In 2019 8% achieved the A* grade. Last year 23% reached it. More people having higher grades for the same number of people. Over the years top universities havent gone into clearing and it is even less likely to happen this year for Law.

Have a look at ucas course search for a popular course filter on show courses with vacancies. Hardly any top universities come up. They have closed their courses and wont be reopening them. They are confident they can reach their numbers accepting student with a dropped grade if needs must.

uni of manchester has put "Clearing is now open until September 2022. How do I apply through Clearing? You can apply through Clearing from 1 July. Start by researching to find the right course for you". i just hope they go clearing in law. and yes I saw many top unis just don't do the clearing. I mean I do already have a firm choice and I'm happy to go there but I wouldn't mind any last chance I get to go to uni of manchester.
Original post by ToGodly
oh well it is what it is then.

uni of manchester has put "Clearing is now open until September 2022. How do I apply through Clearing? You can apply through Clearing from 1 July. Start by researching to find the right course for you". i just hope they go clearing in law. and yes I saw many top unis just don't do the clearing. I mean I do already have a firm choice and I'm happy to go there but I wouldn't mind any last chance I get to go to uni of manchester.

You can bury your head in the sand or face reality. It doesnt have any Law vacancies. It isnt showing vacancies on course search. You can carry on pretending if you wish. That is your choice or you can face up to the real world.

Here is an example from last year from Manchester

Clearing and adjustment 2021

We do not have any vacancies on undergraduate degree courses in clearing this year.
Original post by ToGodly

Leeds is only an hour further from Manchester?
Reply 11
Original post by LawStudent456
Leeds is only an hour further from Manchester?

ye I dont really mind but manchester uni is like 25 mins away from me and is a great uni for my course and has everything, that's why I was really hoping to go there.
Reply 12
You can bury your head in the sand or face reality. It doesnt have any Law vacancies. It isnt showing vacancies on course search. You can carry on pretending if you wish. That is your choice or you can face up to the real world.

Here is an example from last year from Manchester

Clearing and adjustment 2021

We do not have any vacancies on undergraduate degree courses in clearing this year.

thanks, I understand now. i guess uni of manchester is not in my destiny. anyways I gotta move on from the rejection and as you said face the real world.
have just checked Manchester still have vacancies for criminology. It is that type of course rather than their flagship Law course that might end up in clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending