The Student Room Group

Dropping out 1st year to join new course

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there’s anyone on tsr that’s done this before. Basically starting a course 1st year but also applying to other courses via ucas during 1st year and then dropping out of their current course to start a new course (if they got the offer). Basically reapplying to the course you wanted to get on while currently undertaking a course in the meantime as a backup and not wasting a year. I really want to do dentistry and I haven’t got in this year so I’m thinking of taking chem eng year 1 and I’ll continue to apply to dentistry this year for 2023 entry. Would love to hear anyones ideas on this/ similar experiences :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by waffle9090
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there’s anyone on tsr that’s done this before. Basically starting a course 1st year but also applying to other courses via ucas during 1st year and then dropping out of their current course to start a new course (if they got the offer). Basically reapplying to the course you wanted to get on while currently undertaking a course in the meantime as a backup and not wasting a year. I really want to do dentistry and I haven’t got in this year so I’m thinking of taking chem eng year 1 and I’ll continue to apply to dentistry this year for 2023 entry. Would love to hear anyones ideas on this/ similar experiences :smile:

Pls dont do this
Don’t start a course that you don’t plan on finishing. That’s the opposite of “not wasting a year”.

Get a health or care related job instead and build up some savings and experience.
Original post by waffle9090
I really want to do dentistry

Then stop messing about and do that.

Get a relevant gap year job and apply in the autumn for Dentistry.

Just be aware that there may be SF implications - you have already used up a year's funding and Dentistry is another 5 years.
Original post by tecna
Pls dont do this

Original post by PQ
Don’t start a course that you don’t plan on finishing. That’s the opposite of “not wasting a year”.

Get a health or care related job instead and build up some savings and experience.

Thanks for the reply guys. Let me just explain a little more. I’ve already taken a gap year before and unfortunately I still didn’t get the offer. And yes I understand in the long run it doesn’t matter much but even though I got more work exp, got a health care related job I still feel I haven’t used up my time as wisely as I could’ve. I understand your point about starting a course I don’t plan on finishing but that would only be the case if I get the dentistry offer. If it was to not work out then I would continue to finish my chem eng degree (which I also find interesting btw). I just fed it would be a secure way of reapplying - having a back up option without having wasted a year.
Original post by McGinger
Then stop messing about and do that.

Get a relevant gap year job and apply in the autumn for Dentistry.

Just be aware that there may be SF implications - you have already used up a year's funding and Dentistry is another 5 years.

Yes I have done this already and unfortunately it still did not work out and I’m afraid of history repeating itself hence I’m considering a plan B option. I don’t think taking another gap year will do me any more good in all honesty, there’s only so much more job/work experience I can get until it all seems the same. Yes I understand about SF finding as well but fortunately I don’t think it will be a issue for me.

Quick Reply

Latest