The Student Room Group

Midwifery degree apprentice

I am planning to do a degree apprenticeship in midwifery I have looked everywhere nhs and gov website to find an employer.I have been told I might have to be a maternity support worker for a year and then maybe take on the course any suggestions
I'm sure University of Wolverhampton doesn't require you to be employed as a MSW n order to join the degree apprenticeship course. I've just looked on their entry criteria and it's all qualification based.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Shaysta niazi
I am planning to do a degree apprenticeship in midwifery I have looked everywhere nhs and gov website to find an employer.I have been told I might have to be a maternity support worker for a year and then maybe take on the course any suggestions

You can go straight to university providing that you have met the entry requirements for your chosen university for a midwifing degree course okay. Please check your chosen university requirements and then if necessary try and achieve those.

A maternity care assistant job isn't required okay prior to going to university but you could perhaps apply for one at your local maternity hospital to allow you to gain vital experience in what is involved with being a midwife.

Keep applying for a midwifing place at university as never give up but you can still perhaps think about doing adult nursing and then on qualifying you can apply for a job on maternity wards as a adult nurse as you are allowed to do that as you do everything that a midwife does except for delivering the babies. Similar to a maternity care assistant.

Each and every individual university do set there own entry requirements for midwifing degree and all the reasons why you should perhaps look at what is required for your chosen university and concentrate if necessary on achieving these requirements. Most universities requires that you have Biology and math's and English for midwifing and there are others universities that only asking for a science subject.

A NHS registered midwife
Wolverhampton uni have pulled their midwifery degree apprenticeship. I enquired about it a week ago and was told it wasn't going ahead
Reply 4
Original post by Undecided2427
I'm sure University of Wolverhampton doesn't require you to be employed as a MSW n order to join the degree apprenticeship course. I've just looked on their entry criteria and it's all qualification based.

A degree apprenticeship requires that both the employer and the university admits the employee to the degree apprenticeship. Few hospitals will sponsor a person to do a degree apprenticeship unless they are allready working for the hospital.

Cambridge hospital will take people on to do a Nurce Degree Apprenticeships who have no health care assistant experience. Hence ask them if they will do the same for the midwife degree-apprenticeships.
Reply 5

Huddersfield university do a midwifery degree apprenticeship, from the look of their course guide it appears you don’t have to be MSW first. Based on qualifications and most likely relevant experience like any degree.
Reply 6
Original post by Roxiii
Huddersfield university do a midwifery degree apprenticeship, from the look of their course guide it appears you don’t have to be MSW first. Based on qualifications and most likely relevant experience like any degree.

The hard part is getting employed by one of their partner hospitals on the midwifery degree apprenticeship without allready working for the hospital. Not impossible but clearly hospitals will give preference to any existing MSW they wish to retain.
Thanks for the reply
Because I have been told that I have to be a maternity support worker for about a year to be able to take the degree apprentice and that is only if u get chosen by the midwives and I feel like I am taking risks with my career plus if some are able to find a degree apprentice straight after a levels I feel like I just wasted another year as I have already because I had to start year 12 again
Reply 8
Thanks for the reply
Because I have been told that I have to be a maternity support worker for about a year to be able to take the degree apprentice and that is only if u get chosen by the midwives and I feel like I am taking risks with my career plus if some are able to find a degree apprentice straight after a levels I feel like I just wasted another year as I have already because I had to start year 12 again

Remember you get paid for the year and the experience will make a normal widwifery degree a lot easyer.

If I was considering it, it would use freedom of information requests to find how how many maternity support worker with no existing experience each hospital has allowed to do the degree apprentice within 18 months of starting as a maternity support worker.

If you sent these freedom of information requests to all NHS hospital, then you could write a nice article for one of the trade publications or even an research paper.
Literaly that’s what am thinking as well
I have been thinking of it a lot now might as well do it because I know it will take a long time but it will be worth the time as I deffo know if I do the normal degree I am going to regret it the only way I am not doing the normal degree is because the student loan with interest is a major sin in my religion and thank a lot tho

Original post by ringi
Remember you get paid for the year and the experience will make a normal widwifery degree a lot easyer.

If I was considering it, it would use freedom of information requests to find how how many maternity support worker with no existing experience each hospital has allowed to do the degree apprentice within 18 months of starting as a maternity support worker.

If you sent these freedom of information requests to all NHS hospital, then you could write a nice article for one of the trade publications or even an research paper.
Reply 10

Have you found any sister since I am trying to find a midwifery degree apprenticeship in London?
Original post by N1568
Have you found any sister since I am trying to find a midwifery degree apprenticeship in London?

Apart from those below you may have to widen your scope for apprenticeship in midwifery.

Midwifery (Degree Apprenticeship) | University of Greenwich, London.
https://www.gre.ac.uk eduhea m...
Midwifery (Degree Apprenticeship) | University of Greenwich, London

University of West London
https://www.uwl.ac.uk course m...
Midwife - Apprenticeship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending