The Student Room Group

Does an EPQ lower achieved grade requirements in the same way it lowers an offer?

For example, if I applied with predicted grades AAA my offer might be AAB with A in EPQ. If I applied with actual grades and an A* in EPQ, would the it still lower the requirements to accept AAB?
Yes.

Note that your offer is always subject to achieving those actual grades; your predicted grades are really just used to decide whether you get an offer at all. I mention this because you say "if I applied with predicted grades AAA". You'd be likely to get the same offer (with / without the EPQ) if your predicted grades were A*A*A*.

Put another way, most non-contextual offers are based on the "typical" or "standard" offer for the course, not based upon your predicted grades

Also note that the EPQ doesn't impact the typical offer for all courses at all universities (but you probably knew that).
Original post by Lappers
If I applied with actual grades and an A* in EPQ, would the it still lower the requirements to accept AAB?

Usually it does, yes, unless thre are any other conditions attatched to an EPQ offer.
Just be aware that having achieved grades that meet the entry requirements does not guarantee an offer.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Usually it does, yes, unless thre are any other conditions attatched to an EPQ offer.
Just be aware that having achieved grades that meet the entry requirements does not guarantee an offer.

More what I mean is, would my application of obtained grades AAB + A* in the EPQ be accepted as it does meet the requirements of an alternative offer? Or does the fact I did not meet the standard offer rule out the possibility of an alternative offer when applying with obtained grades?

I get it’s not so cut and dry and that there’s other factors in who they offer places to, but just hypothetically based on grades for this example.
There aren't different rules for achieved and predicted grades in that way. If an A* in an EPQ lowers the other requirements then it lowers the other requirements.

Like someone else said, the grades in your offer almost never depend on your grades for those subjects - grades are used as a yes/no for whether you get an offer at all. (Obviously if you have achieved grades because you already sat your exams, then it's just a yes/no decision, there is no offer based on grades.)

Quick Reply