The Student Room Group

Failing to meet a conditional: What are the chances of acceptance anyway?

I've been very lucky, and been handed an AAA conditional by the University of York in Biochem. It's my firm offer, and I really want to go there. I'm really trying to get the grades (currently at BBC as of the last mocks) to go, but what if I don't? What are the chances of getting onto my course? I hear its at their discretion, but are there any statistics I can use to estimate? I know its an odd thing to ask, and I'll get the maximum marks I can, but I can't stand uncertainty.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Very simply - no-one knows.
It will depend on how everyone else does, how many spaces there are, if any, on that course, and how low that Uni goes to fill spaces. This changes year-on-year so there is no way of predicting this,

What Happens on Results Day - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/a-level/guide-to-a-level-results-day
You could send them an FOI request on WhatDoTheyKnow but they might not retain this information after the end of the cycle.

Generally speaking I think it's unlikely you'll get in with BBC to an AAA course unless they are fairly undersubscribed. Not necessarily impossible, I know people who got in with BBB to AAA courses at my university, but to "lower-demand" courses that may have been in clearing as well. Generally speaking, getting in with AAB/ABB would not be unheard of in normal years and might be almost a sure thing for some courses. (sometimes universities have an "official" requirement to appear like a competitive course, but the "real" requirement in the back of their minds when accepting people is a few grades lower) I don't know about this course in particular.

Bear in mind grades may be higher this year (though maybe not quite as high as the other COVID years), so the spaces open to near misses may be fewer. With BBC you'd be pretty low on the list as well.
(edited 1 year ago)
Why is your offer AAA when the website says it's AAB?
Original post by wiseowlz72
Why is your offer AAA when the website says it's AAB?

Most likely the integrated masters version of the course.

https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/mbiochem-biochemistry/
Original post by CrustInPeace
I've been very lucky, and been handed an AAA conditional by the University of York in Biochem. It's my firm offer, and I really want to go there. I'm really trying to get the grades (currently at BBC as of the last mocks) to go, but what if I don't? What are the chances of getting onto my course? I hear its at their discretion, but are there any statistics I can use to estimate? I know its an odd thing to ask, and I'll get the maximum marks I can, but I can't stand uncertainty.

The standard approach for all UK unis is that they confirm places for those that meet their offers in full, then, depending on spaces, review the 'near miss' offer holders to fill any remaining spots.

So the short answer is that you may still be considered, but it is difficult, (if not impossible), to predict how likely that will be.

We've had two very odd admissions cycles previously, so any figures you could obtain are not likely to be useful, if not be outright misleading.
Original post by _gcx
You could send them an FOI request

Pointless - it can't predict any other year.
Original post by McGinger
Pointless - it can't predict any other year.

so are a lot of FOI requests - just something the OP could do if they really wanted to

won't help especially because of covid but might calm their nerves if there's a reassuring pattern
Original post by CrustInPeace

It’s worthwhile talking to York about this and asking if they normally have any leniency and if so the sort of things that they take into account.

Some universities/courses will regularly have some flexibility or will be able to tell you that grades in specific subjects will be more important when deciding who to accept with lower grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending