The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan for distance learner

Hi so I have mental and physical disabilities which mean that in person university is infeasible for me. I can provide evidence of this from my doctors, however I have seen that student finance request that you have discussions with universities to show that they cannot accommodate me because of my disabilities. I have friends who work in the admissions offices of universities and they have all said that they will never say to someone they cannot accommodate them due to disabilities as this can class as discrimination. If student finance ask this of me how do I go about it?
I am studying with the open university and have completed my first year over two years. I will need a maintenance loan from now as i am being forced to leave my current home
Original post by Georgehed96
Hi so I have mental and physical disabilities which mean that in person university is infeasible for me. I can provide evidence of this from my doctors, however I have seen that student finance request that you have discussions with universities to show that they cannot accommodate me because of my disabilities. I have friends who work in the admissions offices of universities and they have all said that they will never say to someone they cannot accommodate them due to disabilities as this can class as discrimination. If student finance ask this of me how do I go about it?

Hi there,

If you’re distance learning due a disability then we’d need you to provide some evidence to show that you’ve spoken to universities regarding your needs. If you’re unable to provide evidence to show they can’t accommodate your requirements then we’d need you to send a covering letter explaining this along with medical evidence such as a GP letter confirming your condition prevents you from attending a course in person.

Thanks, Erin N
Original post by SFE Erin N
Hi there,

If you’re distance learning due a disability then we’d need you to provide some evidence to show that you’ve spoken to universities regarding your needs. If you’re unable to provide evidence to show they can’t accommodate your requirements then we’d need you to send a covering letter explaining this along with medical evidence such as a GP letter confirming your condition prevents you from attending a course in person.

Thanks, Erin N

Does the fact that I have been classed as limited capability for work and work related actives by the dwp for universal credit class as enough evidence along with gp notes ?
Does the fact that I have been classed as limited capability for work and work related actives by the dwp for universal credit class as enough evidence along with gp notes ?

As I said previously university’s are not willing to say they cannot accommodate someone’s needs due their disability especially a mental health one due to the possibility it could be seen as discriminatory
Hi there,

Thanks, Erin N

Also it only asks for a doctors note in my application? Is the need to speak to university’s hidden until someone is rejected first ?
Hi there,

Thanks, Erin N

Sorry to reply yet again am I only needed to show I have spoken to universities regarding my needs? As my main problem is schizoaffective disorder they may offer some solution which is unhelpful and ultimately doesn’t solve the problem of me being unable to attend in person study, will that count as evidence In My favour or against me as they have offered a solution even though it would not be enough to help me in my study’s ? Thank you
Sorry to reply yet again am I only needed to show I have spoken to universities regarding my needs? As my main problem is schizoaffective disorder they may offer some solution which is unhelpful and ultimately doesn’t solve the problem of me being unable to attend in person study, will that count as evidence In My favour or against me as they have offered a solution even though it would not be enough to help me in my study’s ? Thank you

Hi George,

It is a standard requirement when applying for the Part Time Maintenance Loan to see that you have applied to other universities. I appreciate what you are saying, therefore the best thing to do is as Erin advised and to send a cover letter explaining what you have said here regarding your needs and that you are unable to provide that evidence just so that the assessors better understand the situation.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending