The Student Room Group

urgent situation

i decided to comment and rant here to see if i can get any advice other than this whole situation being my fault yes i know it is but anyways short story I've been off sick severely for weeks and in hospital yesterday and only just got better just to realise I have a alevel psychology paper 1 for AQA in 4 days, wit no revision all I'm confident in is social influence out of these other topics. I was just looking to see if someone could help me come up with some sort of plan or idk just help me get stuff together. I know like what have i been doing the past month but anyways better to just forget about the past and deal with life presently i guess at this point.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
i decided to comment and rant here to see if i can get any advice other than this whole situation being my fault yes i know it is but anyways short story I've been off sick severely for weeks and in hospital yesterday and only just got better just to realise I have a alevel psychology paper 1 for AQA in 4 days, wit no revision all I'm confident in is social influence out of these other topics. I was just looking to see if someone could help me come up with some sort of plan or idk just help me get stuff together. I know like what have i been doing the past month but anyways better to just forget about the past and deal with life presently i guess at this point.
Sorry to hear about you being sick, I hope you're doing better now! I'm sure somebody else that does the AQA board will be able to give more specific help, as I do Eduqas Psychology, but I'll try and offer something.

Does your school use knowledge organisers? If you can, get one for every section of your course as those summarised sheets are really great (some schools have theirs uploaded, so you may be able to google them and use those).
Flashcards are good too, even if while you're writing it down you think "I don't know any of this" once you use them, you'll start remembering it and it'll help make sense. You may be able to find other peoples flashcards on revision websites too.
I've seen on youtube there's some walkthroughs of AQA A-Level Psych papers (to my dismay as I'd been looking for Eduqas, but I expect this will work well for you :wink: ).
If your teachers are nice/helpful, try talking to them. Even if you're worried they'll get annoyed, it's better that they can help you than not (and I would hope in your situation they might be more understanding).
Of course, and you may not want to hear this, there's always the option of re-taking an exam! That will give you longer to revise and the biggest possible version of a practice paper beforehand haha.
And as you've said, making a plan might be good. Write down what you're going to do on what day and maybe expect giving up some (a lot) of your recreational time to account for it.
This may sound obvious but make sure you take care of yourself. It's no good if you pull all-nighters to revise and when it gets to your exam you're just on the verge of passing out, or starving, or something alike.
And unless you're certain your friends can teach you, I would advise against group study sessions at this point. Unless you will study better with other people doing the same, you may find yourself getting distracted or feeling put down if they're ahead.

You're not the first one to have extraneous circumstances interfere with their study/leave it to the last minute, and you certainly won't be the last. You seem to have acknowledged what you've done so it's no good sitting around beating yourself up. I'm sure you've got this!
Reply 3
Original post by AlistairFair
Sorry to hear about you being sick, I hope you're doing better now! I'm sure somebody else that does the AQA board will be able to give more specific help, as I do Eduqas Psychology, but I'll try and offer something.

Does your school use knowledge organisers? If you can, get one for every section of your course as those summarised sheets are really great (some schools have theirs uploaded, so you may be able to google them and use those).
Flashcards are good too, even if while you're writing it down you think "I don't know any of this" once you use them, you'll start remembering it and it'll help make sense. You may be able to find other peoples flashcards on revision websites too.
I've seen on youtube there's some walkthroughs of AQA A-Level Psych papers (to my dismay as I'd been looking for Eduqas, but I expect this will work well for you :wink: ).
If your teachers are nice/helpful, try talking to them. Even if you're worried they'll get annoyed, it's better that they can help you than not (and I would hope in your situation they might be more understanding).
Of course, and you may not want to hear this, there's always the option of re-taking an exam! That will give you longer to revise and the biggest possible version of a practice paper beforehand haha.
And as you've said, making a plan might be good. Write down what you're going to do on what day and maybe expect giving up some (a lot) of your recreational time to account for it.
This may sound obvious but make sure you take care of yourself. It's no good if you pull all-nighters to revise and when it gets to your exam you're just on the verge of passing out, or starving, or something alike.
And unless you're certain your friends can teach you, I would advise against group study sessions at this point. Unless you will study better with other people doing the same, you may find yourself getting distracted or feeling put down if they're ahead.

You're not the first one to have extraneous circumstances interfere with their study/leave it to the last minute, and you certainly won't be the last. You seem to have acknowledged what you've done so it's no good sitting around beating yourself up. I'm sure you've got this!

Ah for AQA paper 1 we have advanced info i guess but for topics wise it's social influence, memory, attachment, psychopathology and research methods. I'm only confident social influence i guess.

Hmm, i see, thank you for your advice I really appreciate it! Regarding psych youtube paper walkthroughs I assume this wouldn't help me if i don't know some of the content say attachment/memory? how would i learn from them,
regarding retaking the whole exam I just can't deal with taking another gap year, as I'm already in a gap year for health reasons so at this point I'm in the sort of situation where you know I'll deal with whatever grade I receive and enter clearing worst-case scenario.
Yeah I guess I need to come up with some plan im just not sure what kind of plan I defiantly dont want to be doing one section a day like memory today, attachment tomorrow, social influence day after and psychopathology it just seems unproductive and unefficient i guess, there's also research methods which i also have to worry about. Ahh long month for me i guess.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hg0_03m

Hey!
I hope you are feeling better and hopefully this can help!
ok so this is what I wld do with the days left-
1) look at the advance info for paper one and split your days in half
2) tomorrow(Friday) go over what u do know, you mentioned social influence and write down your A01 and A03 point for each of these main subtopics which are sure to come up: Agentic state, Legitimacy of authority, situational variables affecting obedience, authoritarian personality and milgrams experiment and try to learn these. Start preparing notes for attachment, try and do half the topic that same day, so, bowlby romanian orphans, Lorenz and Harlow
3) Saturday you can finish your attachment notes and learn them, so what’s left is, ainsworth and cultural variations of the strange situation. Memory is much smaller topic so if you can you can do some notes and try to learn evaluation points for the msm, wmm and the cognitive interview
4) Sunday I would consolidate your memory knowledge and move on to making your psychopathology notes on- biological explanations for ocd and bio treatments and then the phobias topic.
5) Monday go through my learn the definitions of abnormality and go through the topics one last time and you should be great!
Good luck :smile:
Original post by hg0_03m
Ah for AQA paper 1 we have advanced info i guess but for topics wise it's social influence, memory, attachment, psychopathology and research methods. I'm only confident social influence i guess.

Hmm, i see, thank you for your advice I really appreciate it! Regarding psych youtube paper walkthroughs I assume this wouldn't help me if i don't know some of the content say attachment/memory? how would i learn from them,
regarding retaking the whole exam I just can't deal with taking another gap year, as I'm already in a gap year for health reasons so at this point I'm in the sort of situation where you know I'll deal with whatever grade I receive and enter clearing worst-case scenario.
Yeah I guess I need to come up with some plan im just not sure what kind of plan I defiantly dont want to be doing one section a day like memory today, attachment tomorrow, social influence day after and psychopathology it just seems unproductive and unefficient i guess, there's also research methods which i also have to worry about. Ahh long month for me i guess.

The youtubers should give answers to the questions, so it'll be like having a teacher I guess. But you are right that this isn't a place to begin with, maybe at the start just for putting in the background, or whatever best fits you. Paper walkthroughs are good, but not a priority, you're right.

I completely understand not wanting to re-take. I was under the impression that it was still possible to re-sit in January, but it seems they're only doing it in summer times now. I haven't had gap years but I have been moved down a year for health-related poor attendance, so I do get it a bit. I definitely wouldn't want to wait any longer than I already have either '':-) However, if worse comes to worst it won't be the end of the world! But by the sounds of it, you seem like you're going to get cracking on so re-taking probably won't be necessary.

I'd advise to just stick to Paper 1 for now (for me research methods is in a separate paper but I don't know about your boat) and it may be arduous to do one section a day but if that's what needs to be done it's what needs to be done. You may actually be able to get through the sections quicker than one in a day, even if it all feels completely new. If your course is anything like mine it's definitely possible to do more than one a day.
Reply 6
Original post by podpodpod
Hey!
I hope you are feeling better and hopefully this can help!
ok so this is what I wld do with the days left-
1) look at the advance info for paper one and split your days in half
2) tomorrow(Friday) go over what u do know, you mentioned social influence and write down your A01 and A03 point for each of these main subtopics which are sure to come up: Agentic state, Legitimacy of authority, situational variables affecting obedience, authoritarian personality and milgrams experiment and try to learn these. Start preparing notes for attachment, try and do half the topic that same day, so, bowlby romanian orphans, Lorenz and Harlow
3) Saturday you can finish your attachment notes and learn them, so what’s left is, ainsworth and cultural variations of the strange situation. Memory is much smaller topic so if you can you can do some notes and try to learn evaluation points for the msm, wmm and the cognitive interview
4) Sunday I would consolidate your memory knowledge and move on to making your psychopathology notes on- biological explanations for ocd and bio treatments and then the phobias topic.
5) Monday go through my learn the definitions of abnormality and go through the topics one last time and you should be great!
Good luck :smile:

Hey thank you soo muchhhhh for this! I really appreciate this! Also how should i go about with research methods in that plan or should i focus on the 4 main topics
Original post by hg0_03m
Hey thank you soo muchhhhh for this! I really appreciate this! Also how should i go about with research methods in that plan or should i focus on the 4 main topics

Ok so looking at all the past papers, paper one has max 10 research method marks out of 96 so the bulk of the marks are from topic knowledge. I wld focus on the topics but make sure u know ur basic reasearch method info like experimental design and demand characteristics and investigator bias that kind of stuff if usually what comes up paper one
Reply 8
Original post by AlistairFair
The youtubers should give answers to the questions, so it'll be like having a teacher I guess. But you are right that this isn't a place to begin with, maybe at the start just for putting in the background, or whatever best fits you. Paper walkthroughs are good, but not a priority, you're right.

I completely understand not wanting to re-take. I was under the impression that it was still possible to re-sit in January, but it seems they're only doing it in summer times now. I haven't had gap years but I have been moved down a year for health-related poor attendance, so I do get it a bit. I definitely wouldn't want to wait any longer than I already have either '':-) However, if worse comes to worst it won't be the end of the world! But by the sounds of it, you seem like you're going to get cracking on so re-taking probably won't be necessary.

I'd advise to just stick to Paper 1 for now (for me research methods is in a separate paper but I don't know about your boat) and it may be arduous to do one section a day but if that's what needs to be done it's what needs to be done. You may actually be able to get through the sections quicker than one in a day, even if it all feels completely new. If your course is anything like mine it's definitely possible to do more than one a day.

Sorry for the late reply! And thank you very much for your advice really appreciate it! And yeah I'm going to try and get it done within these 4 days
Reply 9
Ok so looking at all the past papers, paper one has max 10 research method marks out of 96 so the bulk of the marks are from topic knowledge. I wld focus on the topics but make sure u know ur basic reasearch method info like experimental design and demand characteristics and investigator bias that kind of stuff if usually what comes up paper one

Sorry for the late reply! And thank you very much for your advice really appreciate it! And yeah I'm going to try and get it done within these 4 dayss
Reply 10

hey not sure if ur active but im just gonna comment,
I know this is pretty bad but It's the 2nd day of the plan and only just done social influence, have been quick sick and also been suffering from a lot of anxiety which led me to procastinate till now.

Now only 2 days left till my paper 1 on tuesday I really need a new plan, any suggestions? i really screwed up
Original post by hg0_03m
I know this is pretty bad but It's the 2nd day of the plan and only just done social influence, have been quick sick and also been suffering from a lot of anxiety which led me to procastinate till now.

Now only 2 days left till my paper 1 on tuesday I really need a new plan, any suggestions? i really screwed up

Hey!
Ok so I’m also struggling a lot with anxiety atm and I’ve found that lying propped up in my bed and basically rewriting my notes and highlighting key names to remember really helps. Don’t worry at all about where u are up to! You still have 2 days and if you think about it-it is a lot of time! I find that I get random waves of wanting to revise and when I’m in the mood u have to ride that wave as long as u can and when u don’t feel like revising don’t because it will make you dread it loads and not remember as much. So I would say, tomorrow focus on attachment bc it’s the biggest topic. The things sure to come up are bowlby ( maternal deprivation and monotrophy) Ainsworth strange situation and learning theory so mainly try to revise those. If you can tomorrow also do some memory work as it’s a super small topic- aim to learn the stages of the cognitive interview and some evaluation points and also what the msm and wmm are made up of and some evaluation. For Monday I would focus on just learning the definitions of abnormality, how phobias r learnt so like conditioning and the bio explation for ocd and how you can help treat it with drugs.
I know it’s so hard but coming here shows that you are really trying and want to do well! And u most certainly still can :smile:
In order to do good last minute revision, I would recommend the blurt method. Get a piece of paper and without looking at notes or your textbook, write down everything you know from each topic. Once you've done that, in another colour, add all the stuff in you've forgotten. Repeat till there's nothing you forget. You've got this dont worry! And remember that exams do not define you! I wish you the best of luck :emog:
Original post by hg0_03m

Hey! How r u feeling today? :smile:
Reply 14
Hey! How r u feeling today? :smile:

Hey, im feeling alright today thank you!
I managed to do an all nighter which was not good but had to be done, i dont think the test went bad
How did u feel about the exam
Original post by hg0_03m
Hey, im feeling alright today thank you!
I managed to do an all nighter which was not good but had to be done, i dont think the test went bad
How did u feel about the exam

It wasn’t too bad at all really! They asked some nice questions I’m so so glad the maternal deprivation and institualisation topics didn’t come up bc I didn’t revise them enough at all bajajja. How are you feeling about paper 2?
Reply 16
It wasn’t too bad at all really! They asked some nice questions I’m so so glad the maternal deprivation and institualisation topics didn’t come up bc I didn’t revise them enough at all bajajja. How are you feeling about paper 2?

samee i didn't go over the romanian studies ahah, im glad it didn't come up.
And paper 2 I'm gonna revise early i guess this time. It's on june 8 right idk how to break my time up along with my one other subject i got a exam on june 7 for
Original post by hg0_03m
samee i didn't go over the romanian studies ahah, im glad it didn't come up.
And paper 2 I'm gonna revise early i guess this time. It's on june 8 right idk how to break my time up along with my one other subject i got a exam on june 7 for

Luckily this exam is WAY less content heavy - I wld just focus on just doing lots of research methods past papers and having some basic notes for approaches and biopsych! Let me know how it does and if u ever need some support!
Reply 18
Luckily this exam is WAY less content heavy - I wld just focus on just doing lots of research methods past papers and having some basic notes for approaches and biopsych! Let me know how it does and if u ever need some support!

True true! thank you! I will do that ahaha and sure will do! Really appreciate your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending