The Student Room Group

Economics with science a levels

I have done my a levels in maths bio and chem and achieved 3A*s

I’m confident that my maths skills are quite good (attained golds from UKMT SMC and always scored 95+ marks from A level maths papers) but I’m afraid that most applicants might have their economics and further maths a levels which might make my combination of subjects look relatively weak.

I wonder if there’s any chance that I could get into oxford e&m or LSE economics with my subjects (assuming that I smash TSA for oxford)

Also I have achieved golds and silvers from chemistry and biology olympiads and wanna know if it would still be helpful (currently reading medicine but now know that I want to study economics)

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
If the entry requirements state that you need FM or it is 'preferred' then apply somewhere else. You will not get an offer.
Even if they don't, you cannot assume that even with achieved grades, you can just apply to 5 high grade Unis and automatically get 5 offers.

Any application to Oxford and LSE etc is risky as they reject far more applicants that they accept - and yes, you will be up against many others with all A* Gcses and A*A*A* A levels and high test scores, and who have FM, so be realistic.

You need other, less competitive, choices for your other three choices - and at least one choice that is AAA or lower requirement.
Econ is mega-competitive. You cannot just assume that if you meet or exceed the entry requirements you wil get an offer.

Other Unis to look at - Bath, Bristol, Warwick, Manchester - and btw, any course 'with a placement' will give you an immediate advantage on graduation, as you will already have the 'experience' that many other grads lack.
Original post by hogwart
I have done my a levels in maths bio and chem and achieved 3A*s

I’m confident that my maths skills are quite good (attained golds from UKMT SMC and always scored 95+ marks from A level maths papers) but I’m afraid that most applicants might have their economics and further maths a levels which might make my combination of subjects look relatively weak.

I wonder if there’s any chance that I could get into oxford e&m or LSE economics with my subjects (assuming that I smash TSA for oxford)

Also I have achieved golds and silvers from chemistry and biology olympiads and wanna know if it would still be helpful (currently reading medicine but now know that I want to study economics)

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Economics in LSE is their flagship course. They get many times more applicants than places and end up rejecting most. I believe they require or prefer Further Maths. Without it your chances of getting in are virtually zero and I suspect that is the case at Oxford but lease check these out..

Places like Warwick and Durham again are heavily oversubsribed. Check their required or preferred subjects. If FM is included and you dont have it look elsewhere as you are almost certain to be rejected.

In the current climate there has been a large increase in people applying for Economics. In the last couple of years Economics and CS appear to be the most popular subjects. Acouple of years ago it was Maths but that is not as cometitive as 5 years ago .

Make sure at least 2 of your choices are ones that you are likely to get offers from. This will give you a choice should you suffer rejections. Dont put all your eggs in 1 basket. Every year students come on here because they have 5 rejections,. Dont be one of them.
Reply 3
Thanks for the comment! Any recommendations on unis with a placement by any chance?
Original post by McGinger
If the entry requirements state that you need FM or it is 'preferred' then apply somewhere else. You will not get an offer.
Even if they don't, you cannot assume that even with achieved grades, you can just apply to 5 high grade Unis and automatically get 5 offers.

Any application to Oxford and LSE etc is risky as they reject far more applicants that they accept - and yes, you will be up against many others with all A* Gcses and A*A*A* A levels and high test scores, and who have FM, so be realistic.

You need other, less competitive, choices for your other three choices - and at least one choice that is AAA or lower requirement.
Econ is mega-competitive. You cannot just assume that if you meet or exceed the entry requirements you wil get an offer.

Other Unis to look at - Bath, Bristol, Warwick, Manchester - and btw, any course 'with a placement' will give you an immediate advantage on graduation, as you will already have the 'experience' that many other grads lack.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
Economics in LSE is their flagship course. They get many times more applicants than places and end up rejecting most. I believe they require or prefer Further Maths. Without it your chances of getting in are virtually zero and I suspect that is the case at Oxford but lease check these out..

Places like Warwick and Durham again are heavily oversubsribed. Check their required or preferred subjects. If FM is included and you dont have it look elsewhere as you are almost certain to be rejected.

In the current climate there has been a large increase in people applying for Economics. In the last couple of years Economics and CS appear to be the most popular subjects. Acouple of years ago it was Maths but that is not as cometitive as 5 years ago .

Make sure at least 2 of your choices are ones that you are likely to get offers from. This will give you a choice should you suffer rejections. Dont put all your eggs in 1 basket. Every year students come on here because they have 5 rejections,. Dont be one of them.

No worries, I can always finish my course (medicine) and do econ as a graduate (Msc I suppose.) but thanks for the comment! I now regret it so much that I didn’t take FM 😂

Quick Reply

Latest