The Student Room Group

Disciplinary meetings @ Tesco

So I’ve been given a disciplinary after having an investigation meeting and a conclusion. I was doing the final reductions and keeping a few bits back for myself because that’s what I’ve seen everyone else do and didn’t see the problem and didn’t know it wasn’t allowed. The disciplinary is with my managers manager (if you like - he’s above her anyway idk) and I’m scared I don’t want to get sacked. They said they were going to do it with a more lenient member of staff who should just give me some type of warning, they’re trying to help me basically, which is nice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cslx
So I’ve been given a disciplinary after having an investigation meeting and a conclusion. I was doing the final reductions and keeping a few bits back for myself because that’s what I’ve seen everyone else do and didn’t see the problem and didn’t know it wasn’t allowed. The disciplinary is with my managers manager (if you like - he’s above her anyway idk) and I’m scared I don’t want to get sacked. They said they were going to do it with a more lenient member of staff who should just give me some type of warning, they’re trying to help me basically, which is nice.

it's not over.
Reply 2
Sounds like they probably aren’t going to sack you. Mind you this ‘lenient member of staff’ story doesn’t sound like particularly consistent justice. Personally I would get some union advice
Reply 3
Original post by Brenda hurst
it's not over.

What???
Original post by cslx

They’ll give you a warning and tell you off nothing else.
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek
Sounds like they probably aren’t going to sack you. Mind you this ‘lenient member of staff’ story doesn’t sound like particularly consistent justice. Personally I would get some union advice

What do you mean? She just wanted me to have my meeting with the best person there who will give me just a warning. Some managers give warnings, some go further.
Original post by cslx
What do you mean? She just wanted me to have my meeting with the best person there who will give me just a warning. Some managers give warnings, some go further.

Unfortunately sometimes people just say stuff like that... then sack you. If they could have brushed it off with an informal warning they would have already, there would probably be no need to get someone else for the dirty work.

No one here can give you as certain answer what they will say or do, but I'd be braced for further consequences.
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
Unfortunately sometimes people just say stuff like that... then sack you. If they could have brushed it off with an informal warning they would have already, there would probably be no need to get someone else for the dirty work.

No one here can give you as certain answer what they will say or do, but I'd be braced for further consequences.

That’s bulls***. Every other forum I’ve ever read says that investigation meetings majority of the time end in a disciplinary. They told me not to worry and said that the disciplinary is going to be some sort of warning they’re sure. I can assure you she was not “just SAYING it”, she was very worried when I told her I couldn’t make next Thursday as that’s the day she wanted me to have the meeting with this more lenient manager. I can tell she wasn’t lying. Everyone else on the internet says that Tesco do a verbal warning, written warning, final warning, and then a dismissal.
Original post by cslx
What???

just a warning
Original post by cslx
That’s bulls***. Every other forum I’ve ever read says that investigation meetings majority of the time end in a disciplinary. They told me not to worry and said that the disciplinary is going to be some sort of warning they’re sure. I can assure you she was not “just SAYING it”, she was very worried when I told her I couldn’t make next Thursday as that’s the day she wanted me to have the meeting with this more lenient manager. I can tell she wasn’t lying. Everyone else on the internet says that Tesco do a verbal warning, written warning, final warning, and then a dismissal.

Well, if you're that confident you have nothing to fear.. I've been round the block a good few times and seen a lot of things happened that the people didn't think would happen, inc being sacked out the blue when their colleagues have beat around the bush about it and felt too awkward to make it clear, you never know what manager was just waiting for an excuse.

I just suggest being on your guard , but frankly don't think you have justification to rudely shout bull**** at me
Reply 10
Original post by Brenda hurst
just a warning

Are you saying it’s going to be just a warning or?
Reply 11
Original post by StriderHort
Well, if you're that confident you have nothing to fear.. I've been round the block a good few times and seen a lot of things happened that the people didn't think would happen, inc being sacked out the blue when their colleagues have beat around the bush about it and felt too awkward to make it clear, you never know what manager was just waiting for an excuse.

I just suggest being on your guard , but frankly don't think you have justification to rudely shout bull**** at me

I didn’t shout I typed. You’re not helping sitting there trying to scare me
Original post by cslx
I didn’t shout I typed. You’re not helping sitting there trying to scare me

It’s not trying to scare you by explaining that a disciplinary meeting could lead to a dismissal. It’s also a fair comment that if they weren’t that bothered they wouldn’t have gone down this route at all.

Nothing may come of it but it’s wrong to dismiss people who have more experience of these things than you. If you’re confident of what other forums told you, what was the point of this thread? Just ask for positive vibes if that’s what you want.

And yes, I have seen people dismissed after innocuous things. Doesn’t mean that’ll happen here through.
I think it’s unlikely you’ll be fired but take this as a lesson. Never again do something in a job that looks iffy/questionable just because others are doing it. Always ask a manager whether it’s OK because many employers won’t accept “I didn’t know, I saw my colleagues doing it” as a valid excuse.
Reply 14
Original post by Admit-One
It’s not trying to scare you by explaining that a disciplinary meeting could lead to a dismissal. It’s also a fair comment that if they weren’t that bothered they wouldn’t have gone down this route at all.

Nothing may come of it but it’s wrong to dismiss people who have more experience of these things than you. If you’re confident of what other forums told you, what was the point of this thread? Just ask for positive vibes if that’s what you want.

And yes, I have seen people dismissed after innocuous things. Doesn’t mean that’ll happen here through.

Ok that’s fine sounded like you were genuinely telling me I was going to get fired. A disciplinary can just be a warning, it’ll be a formal warning but that’s fine.
Original post by cslx
Ok that’s fine sounded like you were genuinely telling me I was going to get fired. A disciplinary can just be a warning, it’ll be a formal warning but that’s fine.

I wasn’t the person who made the original reply but they did clearly state “No one here can give you as certain answer what they will say or do, but I'd be braced for further consequences.”. I agree with that statement. Don’t just assume it’ll be all sweetness and light because a manager wanted to avoid an awkward situation.

At the end of the day, HR will have met with the senior staff beforehand and asked “do you really want to get rid of this person?”. Unless you are wildly incompetent, they’re unlikely to be trying to dismiss you.

Just learn to cover your back in future.
Reply 16
Original post by cslx

So, if this is the case it isn’t a fair system and she shouldn’t really be implying that people are treated differently in the same circumstances. What about the person that doesn’t benefit in the way, it would seem, your disciplinary has been handled.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by cslx

@cslx Reconvened investigatory meeting.

I have explained to you on your previous thread that you have posted on this that you should at least be given a written or verbal warning.

https://www.tescoplc.com policies

Grievance policy - Tesco PLC
Has the meeting happened yet?
Reply 19
Original post by Cherryblossom91
Has the meeting happened yet?

No it’s next week

Latest

Trending

Trending