The Student Room Group

I revised more for mocks than actual GCSEs... help

I have procrastinated so much and have revised much less than for mocks. I am really worried that I have done worse now in all my exams so far and every time someone brings up how they think they have done well I feel really worried because I don't feel like that. I keep saying that I am going to work really hard now like I always used to for the rest of my exam period, but even if I do that I feel I will still worry about the exams I have done so far and how they may not have gone well. Most exams I felt that I had done well but something deep down didn't feel right and later I started worrying that I hadn't done well. I don't know if I have actually done worse than usual or if I just feel like that because I feel less prepared than usual.

Worst thing is my parents say it doesn't matter what grades I get because they are proud of how hard I work and that I always try my best but I know that this time I haven't

Does anyone have any advice on how to reassure myself/stop worrying?
Reply 1

Original post by ajgiqigjq
I have procrastinated so much and have revised much less than for mocks. I am really worried that I have done worse now in all my exams so far and every time someone brings up how they think they have done well I feel really worried because I don't feel like that. I keep saying that I am going to work really hard now like I always used to for the rest of my exam period, but even if I do that I feel I will still worry about the exams I have done so far and how they may not have gone well. Most exams I felt that I had done well but something deep down didn't feel right and later I started worrying that I hadn't done well. I don't know if I have actually done worse than usual or if I just feel like that because I feel less prepared than usual.

Worst thing is my parents say it doesn't matter what grades I get because they are proud of how hard I work and that I always try my best but I know that this time I haven't

Reply 2
I did the same but it was all fine in the end! The work you did for mocks will pay off and you're unlikely to have gone downhill since then. You'll have been doing revision style stuff in school as well so it's not like you've done nothing in that period

also don't underestimate the value of cramming! Go through the CGP books for sciences and do all the qs at the bottom, and cram like 5 past papers the morning before a science exam. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by rebelo
I did the same but it was all fine in the end! The work you did for mocks will pay off and you're unlikely to have gone downhill since then. You'll have been doing revision style stuff in school as well so it's not like you've done nothing in that period

also don't underestimate the value of cramming! Go through the CGP books for sciences and do all the qs at the bottom, and cram like 5 past papers the morning before a science exam. Good luck!

Thanks for those reassuring words. Any advice about how to stop worrying?

Best thing you can do is just carry on and revise more, those exams are done and worrying will only prevent you from making up marks later on/ getting high marks in other papers - the ones you have done are done and you might actually surprise yourself with your marks, I’m sure plenty of your mock revision will have stuck so I really doubt you will have bombed any!

Just think in the sense of if you let yourself worry, it’ll only keep happening for your upcoming exams, and if you just move on and revise so you are satisfied with it, you’ll feel a lot better!
Reply 5
Thanks for those reassuring words. Any advice about how to stop worrying?

I guess try to remember other exams where you thought they'd gone badly but they actually turned out well
and don't pay much attention to how other people thought the exams went cos they could be totally wrong. As long as you didn't completely skip out large sections of the exam you probably did well

hey dont stress cause i did the same! and thats actually good you put in alot of effort in the mocks, cause now all you need is last minute revision. Since your exams have gone well, you need to priortise and move on, cause if you really feel like you didn't do well, you can do better in paper 2. Having a study buddy may help, also go through notes and look at examiner reports to get a last minute idea, and lastly attempt a past paper and have someone else check it for you with suggstions on how to do better. good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Cheekyanon
Best thing you can do is just carry on and revise more, those exams are done and worrying will only prevent you from making up marks later on/ getting high marks in other papers - the ones you have done are done and you might actually surprise yourself with your marks, I’m sure plenty of your mock revision will have stuck so I really doubt you will have bombed any!

Just think in the sense of if you let yourself worry, it’ll only keep happening for your upcoming exams, and if you just move on and revise so you are satisfied with it, you’ll feel a lot better!

Your totally right, I have been trying to convince myself of these things but keep worrying, now I am just going to focus though on the upcoming exams and try to absolutely smash them. Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by rebelo
I guess try to remember other exams where you thought they'd gone badly but they actually turned out well
and don't pay much attention to how other people thought the exams went cos they could be totally wrong. As long as you didn't completely skip out large sections of the exam you probably did well

Yeh I didn't leave any questions out and you know what I can think of tests where I thought I did badly (actually it was one of my mocks) but I actually did really well. So thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by psychstudent2625
hey dont stress cause i did the same! and thats actually good you put in alot of effort in the mocks, cause now all you need is last minute revision. Since your exams have gone well, you need to priortise and move on, cause if you really feel like you didn't do well, you can do better in paper 2. Having a study buddy may help, also go through notes and look at examiner reports to get a last minute idea, and lastly attempt a past paper and have someone else check it for you with suggstions on how to do better. good luck!

Thanks for the tips and advice :smile:

(Good luck for your exams if you are also doing them this year)

Quick Reply

Latest