The Student Room Group

moving to england at 17 to do a levels, dont have anything equivalent to GCSEs

hello, Im a student in serbia. I started the first grade of secondary school this year and im planning to move to england at 17, in the third grade. here we dont have any exams that we take during the high school except for the one at the end of the 4th grade-at 19,which i wont be taking.i'm planning to take chemistry, math and biology for my A levels,so what are the alternatives for GCSEs, will i have to do them first in order to do A levels? Also, will i be year 12 or 13?
You will mostly only do English and maths gcse along with your A level subjects but I’m not sure if they will allow you to do A levels. But anyways ye I think you would be in year 12. Btw I do A levels and I don’t know how is the education system in Serbia but they are really hard to do especially the subjects you chose.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
could you please elaborate- why wouldn't they? Because I've been doing quite a big research on this and I have read that some people did A levels without taking gcse's since their previous education system was different. Though I haven't seen anyone in quite similar position as me
Reply 3
Original post by ToGodly
You will mostly only do English and maths gcse along with your A level subjects but I’m not sure if they will allow you to do A levels. But anyways ye I think you would be in year 12. Btw I do A levels and I don’t know how is the education system in Serbia but they are really hard to do especially the subjects you chose.

could you please elaborate- why wouldn't they? Because I've been doing quite a big research on this and I have read that some people did A levels without taking gcse's since their previous education system was different. Though I haven't seen anyone in quite similar position as me
Original post by mia.bzz
hello, Im a student in serbia. I started the first grade of secondary school this year and im planning to move to england at 17, in the third grade. here we dont have any exams that we take during the high school except for the one at the end of the 4th grade-at 19,which i wont be taking.i'm planning to take chemistry, math and biology for my A levels,so what are the alternatives for GCSEs, will i have to do them first in order to do A levels? Also, will i be year 12 or 13?

Although age-wise you should be in year 13, I'm fairly certain you'll be put into year 12 because you need to study both years of A-Level content in order to do the exams. As for if you'll have to do English and Maths GCSEs alongside your A-Levels (they're the only ones that are required), I'm not really sure but even if you don't I wouldn't be surprised if you had to do some kind of proficiency test so that they know you have the ability to complete A-Levels in your chosen subjects, especially if English isn't your first language.
Reply 5
Original post by freyugh
Although age-wise you should be in year 13, I'm fairly certain you'll be put into year 12 because you need to study both years of A-Level content in order to do the exams. As for if you'll have to do English and Maths GCSEs alongside your A-Levels (they're the only ones that are required), I'm not really sure but even if you don't I wouldn't be surprised if you had to do some kind of proficiency test so that they know you have the ability to complete A-Levels in your chosen subjects, especially if English isn't your first language.

Yes, well I've been to some english competitions and I have gotten many credentials for it, so do you think they might could value it? I doubt though. Apart from that, I've always been a straight A student and have certificates that prove it, so could that be an alternative for gcses?
Original post by mia.bzz
Yes, well I've been to some english competitions and I have gotten many credentials for it, so do you think they might could value it? I doubt though. Apart from that, I've always been a straight A student and have certificates that prove it, so could that be an alternative for gcses?

Yeah if you have official certificates to prove it then I reckon that should probably be okay but I can't 100% say for sure. Either way, good luck with everything :smile: I hope it all goes well!
Reply 7
Original post by freyugh
Yeah if you have official certificates to prove it then I reckon that should probably be okay but I can't 100% say for sure. Either way, good luck with everything :smile: I hope it all goes well!

Thank you so much! i really appreciate your answers and kindness please have a nice weekend
You'll need to talk with the officials at the school you are going to, as it would really be at their discretion how they handled this. Obviously you would have been studying SOMETHING so the fact they weren't specifically GCSEs is not a problem. The issue is determining what the equivalency was and if you are prepared at this point to go directly into A-levels yet or not, which is what the school's job will be to figure out (not yours).
Original post by mia.bzz

It depends, it’s just you have to convince the college that you can do A levels…firstly making sure you can speak english. I only had the doubt they might not let you because it’s a change in education system so they might require you to do some type of course before making you do your A levels. But ye you can 100 percent do them. But every college and place is different. If you don’t have any qualifications that are equivalent to english and maths gcse then you will do that which is normal as many fail their GCSEs but continue doing it with their A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest