The Student Room Group

Progesterone only pill

I was prescribed the progesterone only pill by my GP after originally wanting to go on the Combined pill. They didn’t let me because I get migraines. They asked if I get auras and I said yes, but after looking it up I realised I don’t get auras. Should I bring this up again? I wanted to go on the pill for contraceptive reasons, but to also regulate my periods and possibly control my body acne and the progesterone only pill probably won’t help? Does anyone have any experience?

Scroll to see replies

Hey! Yes, I went to the GP with awfully painful periods and she looked me dead in the eyes and said "so you want to be put on the pill?" No love I want your best solution which if you think is the pill then grand.
Sorry, back to the pill.
They put me on the combined pill first and I loved it, my "periods" (withdrawal bleeds) were way more manageable than my prepill period and I knew when yo expect them. I was taken off the combined pill after 6 months because I was getting regular headaches and so they wanted me to stop (think it's a sign of increased blood clot risk, but not sure), but other than that I had no issues - except I had to take it with food otherwise I'd vom.
I was off all pills for a couple months before I started the progesterone only, which I've been on for years. I haven't had any side effects, however it does make your period "irregular", which for me meant constant but manageable for like a month and then once a year for a couple of years, but this past year I've had more intense periods that correlate with stress (yay third year).
It might be worth talking to your Dr again if you are sure the auras was the only reason they declined the combined, but unless the body acne is a deal breaker I'd stick with the progesterone only. Everyone reacts differently, but I'd rather be on the progesterone than nothing, plus the progesterone is "easier" to take as it's just one every day, sameish time no matter what, whereas you have to make sure you don't take your combined for a while week and start it again when you're meant to, which is just another thing to keep track of.
Sorry for the ramble, hope this helped :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I was prescribed the progesterone only pill by my GP after originally wanting to go on the Combined pill. They didn’t let me because I get migraines. They asked if I get auras and I said yes, but after looking it up I realised I don’t get auras. Should I bring this up again? I wanted to go on the pill for contraceptive reasons, but to also regulate my periods and possibly control my body acne and the progesterone only pill probably won’t help? Does anyone have any experience?

Yes! Let your GP know as it's important they're prescribing you the most appropriate pill for you.
It's good to understand there's a reason why medical professionals ask these questions to ensure the medication you receive will give you little to no side effects at all.

Veronica
Student Ambassador
Hey! Yes, I went to the GP with awfully painful periods and she looked me dead in the eyes and said "so you want to be put on the pill?" No love I want your best solution which if you think is the pill then grand.
Sorry, back to the pill.
They put me on the combined pill first and I loved it, my "periods" (withdrawal bleeds) were way more manageable than my prepill period and I knew when yo expect them. I was taken off the combined pill after 6 months because I was getting regular headaches and so they wanted me to stop (think it's a sign of increased blood clot risk, but not sure), but other than that I had no issues - except I had to take it with food otherwise I'd vom.
I was off all pills for a couple months before I started the progesterone only, which I've been on for years. I haven't had any side effects, however it does make your period "irregular", which for me meant constant but manageable for like a month and then once a year for a couple of years, but this past year I've had more intense periods that correlate with stress (yay third year).
It might be worth talking to your Dr again if you are sure the auras was the only reason they declined the combined, but unless the body acne is a deal breaker I'd stick with the progesterone only. Everyone reacts differently, but I'd rather be on the progesterone than nothing, plus the progesterone is "easier" to take as it's just one every day, sameish time no matter what, whereas you have to make sure you don't take your combined for a while week and start it again when you're meant to, which is just another thing to keep track of.

I am on the combined pill for period reasons and I used to get really bad headaches and nausea during the day, so I switched to taking it before bed and the headaches have gotten better but are they really a sign of increased blood clot risk? I am supposed to start the progesterone only pill in august but I was referred to a consultant at the hospital and told her about the headaches as a side effect and she didn't say anything?
With the progesterone only pill are you also able to control period like on the combined pill? I take the combined pill continuously anyway but I was just wondering how frequent the breakthrough bleeds are with the progesterone one?
idk if this made any sense but yeah
Original post by apples983
I am on the combined pill for period reasons and I used to get really bad headaches and nausea during the day, so I switched to taking it before bed and the headaches have gotten better but are they really a sign of increased blood clot risk? I am supposed to start the progesterone only pill in august but I was referred to a consultant at the hospital and told her about the headaches as a side effect and she didn't say anything?
With the progesterone only pill are you also able to control period like on the combined pill? I take the combined pill continuously anyway but I was just wondering how frequent the breakthrough bleeds are with the progesterone one?

Hey! Obviously don't take medical advice from me but I'll happily tell you my experience and what my Dr told me, but definitely go by what yours told you. When I went to my Dr about the headaches (she was the same one who was pretty rude about my period pain) and so her solution was to stop the pill and see what happened, and then she kept me off of it, so I could definitely not be remembering the conversation correctly. The fact that your Drs haven't been worried should be enough reassurance that you're fine :smile:
No you can't control when you get your "period" on the progesterone only pill because you take the same pill every day. In the pamphlet that comes with the pills it's described as "irregular periods" which makes sense now, but a year ago I would've told you it basically stopped mine. I spoke to the nurse about it when I was suddenly getting periods more regularly (twice a month as opposed to 1-2 times a year), more heavily and more painful and she said it was likely triggered by stress that I was experiencing from uni, which made sense given when they occured.
I don't suppose there's any way of really knowing how frequently you yourself will get them? That is the one negative of the mini pill, thankfully I get cramps a day before so I have some warning but it's not as predictable as a natural cycle or on the combined pill.
Hope that helps!
Hey! Obviously don't take medical advice from me but I'll happily tell you my experience and what my Dr told me, but definitely go by what yours told you. When I went to my Dr about the headaches (she was the same one who was pretty rude about my period pain) and so her solution was to stop the pill and see what happened, and then she kept me off of it, so I could definitely not be remembering the conversation correctly. The fact that your Drs haven't been worried should be enough reassurance that you're fine :smile:
No you can't control when you get your "period" on the progesterone only pill because you take the same pill every day. In the pamphlet that comes with the pills it's described as "irregular periods" which makes sense now, but a year ago I would've told you it basically stopped mine. I spoke to the nurse about it when I was suddenly getting periods more regularly (twice a month as opposed to 1-2 times a year), more heavily and more painful and she said it was likely triggered by stress that I was experiencing from uni, which made sense given when they occured.
I don't suppose there's any way of really knowing how frequently you yourself will get them? That is the one negative of the mini pill, thankfully I get cramps a day before so I have some warning but it's not as predictable as a natural cycle or on the combined pill.
Hope that helps!

Thank you for sharing your experience :smile: I am actually being put on the progesterone pill because my periods are still extremely heavy, painful and unmanageable so I'm confused as to why they are putting me on it if when I do have periods they will be even worse? lol anyway thank you for all of your help!

Progesterone only pill side effects could be the problem with what you are experiencing. Discuss any concerns about this to your GP as they will be able to advise you better with the best possible information from yourself 🙂😃
Always discuss any sort of problems with the pill with your GP as it's the only way to find out plus if the pill you are on isn't effective enough then the GP could prescribe another type of the pill because it's sometimes a matter of elimination of which pill is best for you to use on regular period.

What are the side effects of progesterone only birth control.
Progestin-only (norethindrone) oral contraceptives may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
irregular menstrual periods.
headache.
breast tenderness.
nausea.
dizziness.
acne.
weight gain.
increased hair growth.

A NHS registered midwife
Original post by apples983

That's good that you managed to find out taking the combined pill prior to going to bed actually helping you with the headaches you suffered from.

I'm surprised that they haven't listened to what you said to them at the hospital because they are the ones who supposed to be more experience in dealing with this over your GP. Keep telling them about your concerns as eventually they should listen to you on this matter.

How long does breakthrough bleeding last on progesterone usually lasts between 3 to 6 months normally.
For most people, breakthrough bleeding stops 3 to 6 months after starting hormonal birth control. If you're still experiencing breakthrough bleeding related to birth control after that point, talk with your doctor.
GPs hate giving out the combined pill, it's like getting blood (no pun intended) out of a stone.

I've been on the progesterone only pill but want to come off it, ive had significant hair thinning since being on it and it's not worth it in my opinion. My periods completely stopped on it which was a bonus but it's not worth the other side effects for me personally.
Sorry, back to the pill.

Thank you so much! This is useful to know :smile: I’m really worried about the acne as I have body acne but my face is pretty much clear. I have oily skin though. I am desperate to clear it up and I don’t want to be taking something that makes it worse :/ my periods are already irregular too, so the only reason I would be taking the progesterone only pill would be for contraceptive reasons. I’m really sceptical. I have the pills already and I might give them a go but I’m worried…
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Yes! Let your GP know as it's important they're prescribing you the most appropriate pill for you.
It's good to understand there's a reason why medical professionals ask these questions to ensure the medication you receive will give you little to no side effects at all.

Veronica
Student Ambassador

Thank you :smile: I may go to my gp and ask again and aim it towards my body acne
Original post by Tracey_W
Progesterone only pill side effects could be the problem with what you are experiencing. Discuss any concerns about this to your GP as they will be able to advise you better with the best possible information from yourself 🙂😃
Always discuss any sort of problems with the pill with your GP as it's the only way to find out plus if the pill you are on isn't effective enough then the GP could prescribe another type of the pill because it's sometimes a matter of elimination of which pill is best for you to use on regular period.

What are the side effects of progesterone only birth control.
Progestin-only (norethindrone) oral contraceptives may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:
irregular menstrual periods.
headache.
breast tenderness.
nausea.
dizziness.
acne.
weight gain.
increased hair growth.

A NHS registered midwife

Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
GPs hate giving out the combined pill, it's like getting blood (no pun intended) out of a stone.

I've been on the progesterone only pill but want to come off it, ive had significant hair thinning since being on it and it's not worth it in my opinion. My periods completely stopped on it which was a bonus but it's not worth the other side effects for me personally.

Ohh, I hope you find a better alternative
Hi! I was on the combined pill for 2 years and it was mainly because i experienced bad periods. In the last couple of months on being on the pill my period pains started getting worse and the only benefit to being on the combined pill was the fact that I knew when my periods were coming every month to the exact day. However my skin was getting worse and all my period symptoms were coming back. I asked to switch to another pill and the doctor put me on a progesterone only pill which changed my life! I only knew a few people who had been on this pill and some had experienced spotting and bad cramps, but after the initial first month of adjusting I no longer even have a period. I have been on this pill for over a year and haven't had periods at all. I rarely get any hormonal symptoms at the time of my period either. It's different for everyone but worth trying because like me it could be your saviour - the doctor said to me that the progesterone only pill helps to stop migranes so that's probably the reason they put you on that one. Good luck! x
Yeah I was put on the combined pill but started getting frequent headaches, even though I didn’t have auras as well. This increases your risk of blood clots so I was given the mini pill instead. I love it, I wouldn’t swap from what your on now. I do bleed irregularly, but that’s about the only side effect I get. I didn’t bleed for like a year haha so it was positive for me. You shouldn’t take what everyone says the heart tho because every body will experience each pill different because our bodies react differently, so one pill could be horrible for one person and be perfect for you.
Also no contraceptive apart from the injection causes weight gain directly, but they can increase appetite and water retention.

I have been on it for a year and a half now, desogestrel to be exact. At first I had a long period, i bled for about 10 days, then I was getting regular periods every month but they were much lighter, significantly less cramps and now my period is completely gone, worked great for me
A progesterone pill will regulate your periods, both pills have chance of breakthrough bleeding and whatnot. It would likely either have no effect or make your acne worse though as that is quite a typical side effect of progesterone, meanwhile oestrogen can reduce acne and sometimes the combined pill is prescribed just for that reason. I've never personally had issues in obtaining the combined pill unlike said above, I was on it for 2ish years when I was 15 but had awful side effects and then I switched to the implant (which is also progesterone only) for 3 years and then wanted to try the combined pill again (I had no side effects from the implant except my periods were very light and painless but very constant or week on week off after the first year of not having any, which wouldn't be the case most likely if it was progesterone pills where you have a week break) but on a lower oestrogen dosage. I was on those for maybe 2/3 months and was getting less horrible side effects than last time but then I got a bad sudden migraine and my doctors sent me for CT scans to rule out a blood clot from the pill, and now I'm no longer allowed on it so I went back to the implant ASAP and so far I have no side effects again and right now my period isn't even as constant as it was before - right now haven't had one in a month and a half.

I'd say tell your doctor you misunderstood the question and want to try the combined pill to help with your other issues like acne, there is no harm in trying it and if you have side effects put it away and go back on progesterone only pill or explore other options like the implant or coil.
Original post by oxbelize
Hi! I was on the combined pill for 2 years and it was mainly because i experienced bad periods. In the last couple of months on being on the pill my period pains started getting worse and the only benefit to being on the combined pill was the fact that I knew when my periods were coming every month to the exact day. However my skin was getting worse and all my period symptoms were coming back. I asked to switch to another pill and the doctor put me on a progesterone only pill which changed my life! I only knew a few people who had been on this pill and some had experienced spotting and bad cramps, but after the initial first month of adjusting I no longer even have a period. I have been on this pill for over a year and haven't had periods at all. I rarely get any hormonal symptoms at the time of my period either. It's different for everyone but worth trying because like me it could be your saviour - the doctor said to me that the progesterone only pill helps to stop migranes so that's probably the reason they put you on that one. Good luck! x

Thank you! It’s useful to hear different perspectives :smile: I’m glad that it’s helping you!
Original post by acatnamedoatmeal
Yeah I was put on the combined pill but started getting frequent headaches, even though I didn’t have auras as well. This increases your risk of blood clots so I was given the mini pill instead. I love it, I wouldn’t swap from what your on now. I do bleed irregularly, but that’s about the only side effect I get. I didn’t bleed for like a year haha so it was positive for me. You shouldn’t take what everyone says the heart tho because every body will experience each pill different because our bodies react differently, so one pill could be horrible for one person and be perfect for you.
Also no contraceptive apart from the injection causes weight gain directly, but they can increase appetite and water retention.

Thank you! :smile:
I have been on it for a year and a half now, desogestrel to be exact. At first I had a long period, i bled for about 10 days, then I was getting regular periods every month but they were much lighter, significantly less cramps and now my period is completely gone, worked great for me

Ahh I’m glad it’s working for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest