The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Greenwich University disgusting habits

I don't know if it is just this university but Greenwich university teachers/professors have spyware installed into the students personal devices. It is absolutely disgusting and the staff should be ashamed of themselves. What I mean by this is that during online lectures the teachers hack into the students screens to monitor them. Absolutely shameless pieces of ****.

Scroll to see replies

Report this.

A police investigation perhaps. This is a violation of human rights.
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
they just don't want the students looking at other things when there meant to be listening
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know if it is just this university but Greenwich university teachers/professors have spyware installed into the students personal devices. It is absolutely disgusting and the staff should be ashamed of themselves. What I mean by this is that during online lectures the teachers hack into the students screens to monitor them. Absolutely shameless pieces of ****.

Do you have any idea how they did this? Is it official university policy?

If they did do it, especially if you weren't told about it up front (if you were told about it, please link to the university document which talks about it) then I agree, this is unacceptable. But if you've found spyware on your device, you need to be careful of making assumptions about where it came from. If, for instance, it's actually aimed at getting hold of your banking details, that has a lot more immediate consequences for you than if someone can see whether you're reading TSR in a lecture.
Original post by cherlloydfan1
they just don't want the students looking at other things when there meant to be listening

what if it's urgent
Original post by skylark2
Do you have any idea how they did this? Is it official university policy?

If they did do it, especially if you weren't told about it up front (if you were told about it, please link to the university document which talks about it) then I agree, this is unacceptable. But if you've found spyware on your device, you need to be careful of making assumptions about where it came from. If, for instance, it's actually aimed at getting hold of your banking details, that has a lot more immediate consequences for you than if someone can see whether you're reading TSR in a lecture.

Some teachers do things without other peoples consent. I have vpn and multiple software installed on my computer so idk how the spyware could easily hack into my device. Btw I'm off campus so they wouldn't know my banking details.
Spyware / keyloggers can get a hold of details for malicious purpose such as bank details.

This is not acceptable.

Do the machines allow VPN?
Original post by JVM2020
Spyware / keyloggers can get a hold of details for malicious purpose such as bank details.

This is not acceptable.

Do the machines allow VPN?

Yes idk how they could hack me

Please someone do something about this. Legal action should definitely be taken. These are grown adults invading the privacy of innocent students and it’s completely inhumane.
Please someone do something about this. Legal action should definitely be taken. These are grown adults invading the privacy of innocent students and it’s completely inhumane.

Since you are the one who has evidence of it, that would be you. University isn't school. This isn't "grown adults" and children, it is grown adults and other grown adults.

If you need advice and support, I recommend your student union.
Since you are the one who has evidence of it, that would be you. University isn't school. This isn't "grown adults" and children, it is grown adults and other grown adults.

If you need advice and support, I recommend your student union.

it's invading other peoples privacy without them knowing...does that sound ethical to you or need I say more?
it's invading other peoples privacy without them knowing...does that sound ethical to you or need I say more?

also you're missing the point
also you're missing the point

No, I'm really not. If you think something illegal is going on, then as a responsible adult you should report it.

You. Not mummy. Not teacher. Not "someone". You.
No, I'm really not. If you think something illegal is going on, then as a responsible adult you should report it.

You. Not mummy. Not teacher. Not "someone". You.

I'm trying to spread awareness. There is absolutely no reason to be harsh.
I'm trying to spread awareness. There is absolutely no reason to be harsh.

Also please don't talk to me like you know me personally. It's disrespectful. Lower your gaze.
Also please don't talk to me like you know me personally. It's disrespectful. Lower your gaze.

Look, it's clear you still think of yourself as a child even though as a university student you are an adult. Who on earth do you think you are to tell anyone to "lower their gaze", never mind an adult who's trying to help you to act your age?

I'm done here. Enjoy your course.
Look, it's clear you still think of yourself as a child even though as a university student you are an adult. Who on earth do you think you are to tell anyone to "lower their gaze", never mind an adult who's trying to help you to act your age?

I'm done here. Enjoy your course.

I just turned 18 but thanks I guess.
Wait, I'm baffled - you decided to tell a bunch of strangers before consulting someone who may help in this kind of situation?
1. I wanted to see if anyone had any similar experiences
2. I needed to know how to take action
Original post by gtty123
Wait, I'm baffled - you decided to tell a bunch of strangers before consulting someone who may help in this kind of situation?
1. I wanted to see if anyone had any similar experiences
2. I needed to know how to take action

Fair enough.
And have you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending