The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship for cs or software developing

I have AAAA*A in bio chem psych and epq
I'm thinking of doing an apprenticeship
Jus had a change of mind
What r some gud companies to do an apprenticeship with
Or would I benefit more if I got a degree from a Russel group uni
Reply 1
Most apprenticeships in the Computing industry are now allied to a degree - Degree Apprenticeships. Companies like PwC, KPMG, Vodafone and others offer these. The problem you are likely to have is that they usually require Maths A level and they are extremely competitive because you receive a salary and have your tuition fees paid (so no loan to pay). You are much more likely to be accepted for a CS degree, at universities that do not require Maths A level.
Original post by nutz99
Most apprenticeships in the Computing industry are now allied to a degree - Degree Apprenticeships. Companies like PwC, KPMG, Vodafone and others offer these. The problem you are likely to have is that they usually require Maths A level and they are extremely competitive because you receive a salary and have your tuition fees paid (so no loan to pay). You are much more likely to be accepted for a CS degree, at universities that do not require Maths A level.

Ok
Thnx
Original post by tecna
I have AAAA*A in bio chem psych and epq
I'm thinking of doing an apprenticeship
Jus had a change of mind
What r some gud companies to do an apprenticeship with
Or would I benefit more if I got a degree from a Russel group uni

Is manchester metropolitan good uni to get an apprenticeship from.
After the degree would I be at a disadvantage compared to students who let's say went to manchester uni for computer science
Original post by nutz99

How do they work? Do you have to apply to the company and then get given a uni to go to or do you choose a uni that you’re accepted for and they apply to the company?
Original post by tecna
Is manchester metropolitan good uni to get an apprenticeship from.
After the degree would I be at a disadvantage compared to students who let's say went to manchester uni for computer science

If you're doing a degree apprenticeship the provider isn't really that important compared to the company you are doing it with, provided they don't just leave you high and dry with providing the teaching elements. Also usually companies aim to hire their apprentices at the end of the scheme anyway (they've already invested a lot of time and money in you after all!) and between that, much more extensive work experience than other grads, and being familiar with the internal processes of the company, even if you do have to apply to a role with the same company you're much more likely to get in. For applying to roles at other organizations the first two points still stand.

It's worth noting CS is fundamentally not a field in which where you study matters (and in actual fact this only matters for investment banking and management consultancy - no other jobs or companies care about where you studied); having (lots of) relevant work experience, a portfolio of projects curated on GitHub or similar, and being able to perform well in assessment centres including coding assessments is what is important. Being in a degree apprenticeship gives you much more opportunity to develop all of those things than a traditional degree at a brick uni, even (or perhaps, especially!) if it's a "top" uni as the alternative option.

@Blue_Cow might be able to give some more insight into the general way that applying to computing sector grad roles/schemes works, and @shadowdweller might be able to give some more info on how an apprenticeship in the computing sector works as I believe she did one? :smile:
Original post by Bigflakes
How do they work? Do you have to apply to the company and then get given a uni to go to or do you choose a uni that you’re accepted for and they apply to the company?

For degree apprenticeships you apply to the company, the company picks the uni it wants to send its apprentices to.
Original post by artful_lounger
If you're doing a degree apprenticeship the provider isn't really that important compared to the company you are doing it with, provided they don't just leave you high and dry with providing the teaching elements. Also usually companies aim to hire their apprentices at the end of the scheme anyway (they've already invested a lot of time and money in you after all!) and between that, much more extensive work experience than other grads, and being familiar with the internal processes of the company, even if you do have to apply to a role with the same company you're much more likely to get in. For applying to roles at other organizations the first two points still stand.

It's worth noting CS is fundamentally not a field in which where you study matters (and in actual fact this only matters for investment banking and management consultancy - no other jobs or companies care about where you studied); having (lots of) relevant work experience, a portfolio of projects curated on GitHub or similar, and being able to perform well in assessment centres including coding assessments is what is important. Being in a degree apprenticeship gives you much more opportunity to develop all of those things than a traditional degree at a brick uni, even (or perhaps, especially!) if it's a "top" uni as the alternative option.

@Blue_Cow might be able to give some more insight into the general way that applying to computing sector grad roles/schemes works, and @shadowdweller might be able to give some more info on how an apprenticeship in the computing sector works as I believe she did one? :smile:

Omg thank you smm for this advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending