The Student Room Group

am i eligible for student finance?

I am a British citizen and have lived in the UK for most of my life. I am currently going into the third year of my degree and have not applied for student finance previously. However, in the 3 year residency requirement period I was temporarily living overseas (non EU) due to my parents employment. During this period I was a minor and was in school. I did not want to move away and always planned on returning to finish my education and permanently settle back in UK. I have been asked by student finance to prove that my time away in the 3 years before the start of the course was temporary. I have provided evidence of utility bills through my life here before the move (in my parents name), my dads renewable fixed term 12 month contract overseas beginning in the first year that I was away and letters from my current university stating that I am classified as a home student fee status as I was deemed to be only temporarily away. My parents have bought a property here last year as I plan on settling. Would this be enough for me to receive full support?
You’ll just have to wait for the formal decision.

If you’ve provided proof that the contracts and visas you were living abroad under were temporary then it’s likely.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You’ll just have to wait for the formal decision.

If you’ve provided proof that the contracts and visas you were living abroad under were temporary then it’s likely.

My dad's contract states that it is fixed term for 12 months and after will be reviewed on a month by month basis unless terminated. Would this count?
Original post by ph64
I am a British citizen and have lived in the UK for most of my life. I am currently going into the third year of my degree and have not applied for student finance previously. However, in the 3 year residency requirement period I was temporarily living overseas (non EU) due to my parents employment. During this period I was a minor and was in school. I did not want to move away and always planned on returning to finish my education and permanently settle back in UK. I have been asked by student finance to prove that my time away in the 3 years before the start of the course was temporary. I have provided evidence of utility bills through my life here before the move (in my parents name), my dads renewable fixed term 12 month contract overseas beginning in the first year that I was away and letters from my current university stating that I am classified as a home student fee status as I was deemed to be only temporarily away. My parents have bought a property here last year as I plan on settling. Would this be enough for me to receive full support?

Hi there,

The assessors will take this into consideration, and will ultimately make the final decision.

Thanks, Kristina
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Kristina
Hi there,

The assessors will take this into consideration, and will ultimately make the final decision.

Thanks, Kristina

If I have said in my application that I have returned for university education here so I can ultimately settle here and work in the NHS is that okay? Because I read somewhere that it is okay to return for education if your parent was employed overseas temporarily. But then I also read somewhere that it is not okay to return just for education. But my ultimate goal is to settle here, getting university education is just a stepping stone.
Original post by ph64
If I have said in my application that I have returned for university education here so I can ultimately settle here and work in the NHS is that okay? Because I read somewhere that it is okay to return for education if your parent was employed overseas temporarily. But then I also read somewhere that it is not okay to return just for education. But my ultimate goal is to settle here, getting university education is just a stepping stone.

Hi There,

As long as you can confirm your time abroad was temporary then we should be able to award you finance. We’ll need you to send us evidence to confirm this when you apply such as employment contracts or flight tickets to show this once you’ve applied.

Thanks, Erin N
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Erin N
Hi There,

As long as you can confirm your time abroad was temporary then we should be able to award you finance. We’ll need you to send us evidence to confirm this when you apply such as employment contracts or flight tickets to show this once you’ve applied.

Thanks, Erin N

Could you explain a bit further about what student finance would consider a temporary contract? Would one that is fixed term for 12 months after on a month by month basis unless terminated be accepted?
Reply 7
Original post by ph64
Could you explain a bit further about what student finance would consider a temporary contract? Would one that is fixed term for 12 months after on a month by month basis unless terminated be accepted?

and after*
Original post by ph64

A temporary contract would be one that has a fixed start and end date on it. As my colleague previously advised for a fixed term contract the assessors will take this into consideration and make the decision based on this. If you do have any of the other evidence to show this was temporary then do send this with it.

Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending