The Student Room Group

I've tried and can't find a job

Hi everyone.
I'm s at home frustrated because I'm just exhausted and just tired. I'm currently on a gap year, and I've literally been looking for a job for FIVE MONTHS now and I am so fed up because here I am still sat at home unable to find anything. All of my friends have found jobs, even my little cousin who's 16 was able to find a job with no experience. I have judgmental uncles/aunts and cousins who are calling me lazy because they think I don't want to work and it annoys me. I have lost all motivation and hope in life and I don't even go out anymore. You have employers saying "no experience required "but then reject my application for no given reason. Its always me and I've prayed to God to help and so far he hasn't helped either.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
literally fill you pain, proably sign upto all the job websites
i dont know but i am 16 so migth be a bit useless
i hope you fine one
Apply on indeed or go in person. But if you really need a job then I’m sure kfc and McDonald’s always have spaces available. On indeed employers can reply after 4 week. I remember getting rejected on indeed but there few jobs which I had applied weeks ago started coming back to me but I was already employed by that time. Ye I think it’s best to have a CV printed and go in store in person there is a chance they might hire you on spot.
Reply 3
Original post by ToGodly
Apply on indeed or go in person. But if you really need a job then I’m sure kfc and McDonald’s always have spaces available. On indeed employers can reply after 4 week. I remember getting rejected on indeed but there few jobs which I had applied weeks ago started coming back to me but I was already employed by that time. Ye I think it’s best to have a CV printed and go in store in person there is a chance they might hire you on spot.

i am 16 and i haven't done my GCSE's do i need a CV to apply for a job
Original post by kas694

you always need a CV
Lots of warehouses and retail jobs accept people with no work experience. These include Amazon, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Aldi, Morrisons. These are good places to earn some good money especially whilst working temporarily. I don't believe that all of these places reject you, because they always lack workers, especially during night shifts. Maybe you don't know how to pass interviews and completely miss the point. When you take an interview you always need to think from an employer's point of view. Do they want to hire someone who only wants to work for 5 months? It is not worth their time, so you may need to lie in the interview and say that you may want to work there long term. Maybe your CV is badly written and you don't show that you have the motivation to do the job. It's not very difficult, but when you apply for a job just try to think from the employer's point of view rather than your own. It is important that your values and interests match even if it means that you have to lie from time to time.
Original post by ToGodly

Its KFC and McDonalds that be rejecting me too which doesn't make sense. My best friend managed to bag a job as a crew member with no experience, yet when I apply its "unfortunately we won't be processing your application further. Please continue to apply". I hate applying through Indeed because I never get called back. I tried to go to Starbucks with my CV and they more or less told me that they'd get back to me. They never did.
Original post by Robotnix
Lots of warehouses and retail jobs accept people with no work experience. These include Amazon, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Aldi, Morrisons. These are good places to earn some good money especially whilst working temporarily. I don't believe that all of these places reject you, because they always lack workers, especially during night shifts. Maybe you don't know how to pass interviews and completely miss the point. When you take an interview you always need to think from an employer's point of view. Do they want to hire someone who only wants to work for 5 months? It is not worth their time, so you may need to lie in the interview and say that you may want to work there long term. Maybe your CV is badly written and you don't show that you have the motivation to do the job. It's not very difficult, but when you apply for a job just try to think from the employer's point of view rather than your own. It is important that your values and interests match even if it means that you have to lie from time to time.

All the stores you listed above still reject me. I can't/won't work night shifts though. I know how to compose myself in interviews, its just I never get to that stage. Only time I did, it was McDonalds, and the interviewer really wanted to give me the job if I started work at 5am, which I declined. Anything from 7am to 6pm is fine. Apart from that I've never progressed to the interview stage.
Try smaller places, like local shops and resturants. They're all usually looking for staff.
Original post by Anonymous
All the stores you listed above still reject me. I can't/won't work night shifts though. I know how to compose myself in interviews, its just I never get to that stage. Only time I did, it was McDonalds, and the interviewer really wanted to give me the job if I started work at 5am, which I declined. Anything from 7am to 6pm is fine. Apart from that I've never progressed to the interview stage.

It's probably the quality of your CV. Look online for advice on how to make it better, and you should receive some interviews despite having no experience.

Try asking on your local Facebook page x
Original post by vicvic38
Try smaller places, like local shops and restaurants. They're all usually looking for staff.

I'm put off by smaller places sometimes because their shift patterns are crazy. I do also try to apply to smaller cafes and similar places of work, but they keep talking about experience and what not, which I don't have much. But I'll keep looking there.
Original post by SagaciousSag
It's probably the quality of your CV. Look online for advice on how to make it better, and you should receive some interviews despite having no experience.

I did a free trial online where someone examined my CV and it helped me to perfect it. Maybe I'm being biased or oblivious, but I've read my CV to my parents and they think it sounds good. But I'll do as you said because maybe it could be my CV.
Try asking on your local Facebook page x

Do Facebook advertise jobs? I haven't used FB since 2015.
Do Facebook advertise jobs? I haven't used FB since 2015.

Normally local people have businesses and may be advertising on there or you may have missed a place that was advertising
Its KFC and McDonalds that be rejecting me too which doesn't make sense. My best friend managed to bag a job as a crew member with no experience, yet when I apply its "unfortunately we won't be processing your application further. Please continue to apply". I hate applying through Indeed because I never get called back. I tried to go to Starbucks with my CV and they more or less told me that they'd get back to me. They never did.

I know man, indeed never works. I think try to improve your CV add some fake information lol
Original post by kas694

A CV is basically a document which highlights your experience and skills, education etc. so most of the employers ask for that but they never look at it. But you still need it at some point. If you are applying online then 99 percent of time you will need a CV. If you need any help let me know
I was unemployed for three years and gave up in the end. Try going for jobs that are below retail, warehouse jobs as an example.
voluntary work helped me a tonne
great way to build a CV, and skills from scratch and if your lucky they might be hiring so could get a foot in door that way
avoid unpaid internships though
Hi! A tip I have found useful in the past is to make your CV specific to the job you are applying to and to change and improve your CV after each job application. Unless the rejection letter/email states "we cannot give feedback on specific job applications" (or something similar), do try and pluck up the courage to contact the company that rejected you and get feedback on why you got turned down. Also don't give up hope! I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending