The Student Room Group

Can you get good clearing courses?

I have an offer at Warwick for history and politics but want to change to a course to do with econ. I asked and I can’t change at Warwick at the moment. Are there any good RG unis who will offer something like history and econ or econ and politics at clearing or should I take a gap year and reapply?

Scroll to see replies

No one will know what’s available in clearing yet.
If you don’t want to do the Warwick course you have an offer for then decline it and see what is available in clearing in August. If you can’t see anything you fancy then take a gap year.
Original post by Rb04
I have an offer at Warwick for history and politics but want to change to a course to do with econ. I asked and I can’t change at Warwick at the moment. Are there any good RG unis who will offer something like history and econ or econ and politics at clearing or should I take a gap year and reapply?

There are courses for Economics available in extra at the moment but they arent the very top universities. It is unlikely any top universities will be in clearing for Economics which is very competitive this year. If you want to check what courses are currently available go into ucas course search and filter to show only courses with vacancies. It is likely there will be less universities in clearing so if you want to change act now.

Be aware most leading universities require Maths A level for Economics courses as these are very heavily Maths based.
Reply 3
Hi there, thanks for the reply. I’ve found a few courses that I like at Nottingham and Southampton on the course finder. If I click on them, and I click apply, it takes me to my account and says are you sure you want to apply or something like that. You’re saying I can apply now even though I have firmed and insuranced already. My grades are A*A*A predicted. What will happen if I click apply?

Original post by swanseajack1
There are courses for Economics available in extra at the moment but they arent the very top universities. It is unlikely any top universities will be in clearing for Economics which is very competitive this year. If you want to check what courses are currently available go into ucas course search and filter to show only courses with vacancies. It is likely there will be less universities in clearing so if you want to change act now.

Be aware most leading universities require Maths A level for Economics courses as these are very heavily Maths based.
No you can only apply if you dont hold any odders. You would have to reject those you have. That applies to clearing as well
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
So if I click to apply to this course at Nottingham, will my other offers go away?

Original post by swanseajack1
No you can only apply if you dont hold any odders. You would have to reject those you have. That applies to clearing as well
Original post by Rb04
So if I click to apply to this course at Nottingham, will my other offers go away?

@PQ @Admit-One Can you answer this with your expertise

My understanding is OP would need to reject other offer first
Original post by Rb04

Have you used all 5 choices yet?
Reply 8
I have used all 5 and confirmed my firm and insurance choice

Original post by PQ
Have you used all 5 choices yet?
Original post by Rb04
I have used all 5 and confirmed my firm and insurance choice

Then if you try to add another choice you’ll eventually get an error message telling you that isn’t possible for you.

If you want to apply using extra then you’ll need to ring ucas and ask to change your replies to swap your firm and insurance choices to decline those offers. Ucas will let you know if they need agreement from either of your universities to make the reply swap. Once it’s approved and updated then you will get the option to “add an extra choice” and apply to one of the courses you have found with vacancies (ring them before adding them to make sure the vacancies listing is correct)
Reply 10
Ok I really appreciate the help. Do I have until the normal ucas extra time of July 4?

Original post by PQ
Then if you try to add another choice you’ll eventually get an error message telling you that isn’t possible for you.

If you want to apply using extra then you’ll need to ring ucas and ask to change your replies to swap your firm and insurance choices to decline those offers. Ucas will let you know if they need agreement from either of your universities to make the reply swap. Once it’s approved and updated then you will get the option to “add an extra choice” and apply to one of the courses you have found with vacancies (ring them before adding them to make sure the vacancies listing is correct)
Reply 11
And also. How much do they care about personal statements at this stage of ucas. My grades are good with A*A*A but my personal statement is tailored towards history, where I want to apply for politics and economics. Will they care about this?

Original post by PQ

Original post by Rb04
And also. How much do they care about personal statements at this stage of ucas. My grades are good with A*A*A but my personal statement is tailored towards history, where I want to apply for politics and economics. Will they care about this?

Ask them when you ring them up tomorrow.

Don’t delay swapping replies/adding an extra choice if this is what you want. The deadline isn’t relevant - extra applications are first come first served.
Reply 13
Ok thanks. Do you really recommend me calling them or would they respond by email?

Original post by PQ
Ask them when you ring them up tomorrow.

Don’t delay swapping replies/adding an extra choice if this is what you want. The deadline isn’t relevant - extra applications are first come first served.
(Original post by Rb04)Ok thanks. Do you really recommend me calling them or would they respond by email?

Call them it is quicker especially at this time of the year. You need to this sorted now. Others may take your place,
Original post by Rb04
Ok thanks. Do you really recommend me calling them or would they respond by email?

If I meant email I would have said email.

Ring them. With a telephone.
Reply 16
I’m in the same situation and I would suggest you not use UCAS extra as you have no universities to go to if you use it. Instead if you can’t find what you want in clearing take a gap year. I apply to universities however I don’t want to go to any of them and instead want to go to different universities however since the applications have shot and I don’t want to decline all my choices I’m going to try and go through clearing for marketing. My top choice at the moment is Southampton however I doubt I’ll be able to get in as it is a popular Russell group University and having done my first business paper exam which went terribly :frown: I don’t think I’ll be able to make it. Instead my back up is Reading or Leicester which I’m going to see in the summer and with the hopes that I like both of them and they have places in clearing on results day I will try to apply to them. I would suggest doing the same however if they don’t have any places take a gap year there’s no harm in doing so provided you get the grades you want
Reply 17
Can I get a verbal offer without before having to withdraw from my current unis in case they don’t consider me and then I have no where to go?

Original post by PQ
If I meant email I would have said email.

Ring them. With a telephone.
Reply 18
Original post by Rb04
Can I get a verbal offer without before having to withdraw from my current unis in case they don’t consider me and then I have no where to go?

Maybe. That’s only available on results day I think
Original post by Rb04

Ask them when you call them up (but if you don’t want to study history anymore and are considering a gap year as backup then there’s no risk - a firm offer for a course you don’t want isn’t worth anything)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending