The Student Room Group

form and structure

how do I write about form and structure in an english literature essay? (AQA exam board, doing inspector calls and a christmas carol)
Tell us more
hi so i dont do either christmas carol or AIC but i do jekyll and hyde and poetry, for form and structure:
form is what the style of book your reading is, for example jekyll and hyde is a gothic 19th century novel and this helps the plot build because of the build up of tension that leads to a massive reveal and the gothic genre would've been scary for a victorian audience because it was exploring sinful themes. so just apply this to ur books, AIC is a play and literally just waffle how this is good for the plot etc.
im not too sure for the structure but, in the extract look at how it is structured. look at the lengths of sentences and again think 'how does this build tension' 'how does this create a sense of mystery' 'how does this create a sense of inequality' .

useful websites for u :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zwkdwmn/revision/1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zybc9j6/revision/1

for the future - bbc bitesize is soo good especially for things like this
Original post by jennaa21
hi so i dont do either christmas carol or AIC but i do jekyll and hyde and poetry, for form and structure:
form is what the style of book your reading is, for example jekyll and hyde is a gothic 19th century novel and this helps the plot build because of the build up of tension that leads to a massive reveal and the gothic genre would've been scary for a victorian audience because it was exploring sinful themes. so just apply this to ur books, AIC is a play and literally just waffle how this is good for the plot etc.
im not too sure for the structure but, in the extract look at how it is structured. look at the lengths of sentences and again think 'how does this build tension' 'how does this create a sense of mystery' 'how does this create a sense of inequality' .

useful websites for u :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zwkdwmn/revision/1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zybc9j6/revision/1

for the future - bbc bitesize is soo good especially for things like this

thank youuu :smile:
but how would I actually write about the form? like after i've finished analysing language do I just write 'A christmas carol is a novella, dickens made it short as it was traditionally written to be read aloud at christmas'? to me that sounds a bit weird haha, like it doesn't fit in the paragraph if that makes sense

omg it's youu haha
thank you!! :smile: :smile:
Original post by ArizonaRobbins
omg it's youu haha
thank you!! :smile: :smile:

;D

also for structure, talking about the beginning or ending of the play and analyzing that could be counted as structure points, like why pristley made the second death of eva happen, or like what do the stage directions in the beginning mean stuff like that

random info i got from mr salles lololol :
the most shocking aspect of the play is eva's choice of death, she chooses disinfectant which symbolises the idea that she wants to be cleansed from the inside. This perhaps suggests she blames herself for what has happened to her. But the more horrifying aspect is that it implies she also wants to destroy what is inside her; eric's child. So Perhaps the target of her disgust is Eric which could mean Eric is the most responsible for her death. So when he says he was in the 'state where a chap easily turns nasty' this may be a euphemism for a violent act of rape, and that implies it only appears that eric has learnt his lesson, he will never truly act on it because it is against his nature.
thank youuu :smile:
but how would I actually write about the form? like after i've finished analysing language do I just write 'A christmas carol is a novella, dickens made it short as it was traditionally written to be read aloud at christmas'? to me that sounds a bit weird haha, like it doesn't fit in the paragraph if that makes sense

yeah most people just do it like that at the end of a paragraph or you could try link it to something so for example if the question is how is scrooge presented as lonely, you could explain why scrooge is lonely backing it up with evidence and then you could say "the form of A Christmas Carol is a short novella that is traditionally read aloud at christmas, this also shows that scrooge is lonely because it emphasises that he's an outsider and reading aloud this novella allows the reader to fully understand how secluded scrooge is"

- btw i dont do christmas carol i just know the plot so what im saying could be totally wrong but u get the idea
Original post by psychstudent2625
;D

also for structure, talking about the beginning or ending of the play and analyzing that could be counted as structure points, like why pristley made the second death of eva happen, or like what do the stage directions in the beginning mean stuff like that

random info i got from mr salles lololol :
the most shocking aspect of the play is eva's choice of death, she chooses disinfectant which symbolises the idea that she wants to be cleansed from the inside. This perhaps suggests she blames herself for what has happened to her. But the more horrifying aspect is that it implies she also wants to destroy what is inside her; eric's child. So Perhaps the target of her disgust is Eric which could mean Eric is the most responsible for her death. So when he says he was in the 'state where a chap easily turns nasty' this may be a euphemism for a violent act of rape, and that implies it only appears that eric has learnt his lesson, he will never truly act on it because it is against his nature.

oh my god i never thought about that, like i knew that the ingestion of bleach meant she wanted to cleanse herself but this is a whole level
i loved mr salles before but now i kind of feel like he gives stuff that doesn't really fit in. like not irrelevant but stuff i wouldn't write because it doesn't delve into language or anything but this is an exception haha
Original post by jennaa21
yeah most people just do it like that at the end of a paragraph or you could try link it to something so for example if the question is how is scrooge presented as lonely, you could explain why scrooge is lonely backing it up with evidence and then you could say "the form of A Christmas Carol is a short novella that is traditionally read aloud at christmas, this also shows that scrooge is lonely because it emphasises that he's an outsider and reading aloud this novella allows the reader to fully understand how secluded scrooge is"

- btw i dont do christmas carol i just know the plot so what im saying could be totally wrong but u get the idea

wait that's actually smart haha i didn't think of wording it like that thanks :smile:
oh my god i never thought about that, like i knew that the ingestion of bleach meant she wanted to cleanse herself but this is a whole level
i loved mr salles before but now i kind of feel like he gives stuff that doesn't really fit in. like not irrelevant but stuff i wouldn't write because it doesn't delve into language or anything but this is an exception haha

yeahhh i get you, stacey reay has alot of info she does alot of language analysis so wheeeee
Original post by psychstudent2625
yeahhh i get you, stacey reay has alot of info she does alot of language analysis so wheeeee

i need to start watching her LMAO
i have watched a few of her videos but i can't seem to focus becuase she just keeps it on one slide for a long time and there's no animation or anything moving so her voice just blends into a sound and i can't concentrate haha
probably just put it in 2x speed like i do with others haha
i need to start watching her LMAO
i have watched a few of her videos but i can't seem to focus becuase she just keeps it on one slide for a long time and there's no animation or anything moving so her voice just blends into a sound and i can't concentrate haha
probably just put it in 2x speed like i do with others haha

LMFAOOO i getchu i watch her shorts, less of a drag really

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending