The Student Room Group

Access to HE (Science)

I've been accepted for a HE course at college. I know how challenging it's going to be. I currently have a part time job, is it do-able to do my part time job AND this diploma. I'm also doing a maths GCSE resit alongside it as well. So would it be easier for me to quit my part time job so I can properly focus on this diploma? if anyone could give me advice and guidance about their experiences; then that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chloe.vii
I've been accepted for a HE course at college. I know how challenging it's going to be. I currently have a part time job, is it do-able to do my part time job AND this diploma. I'm also doing a maths GCSE resit alongside it as well. So would it be easier for me to quit my part time job so I can properly focus on this diploma? if anyone could give me advice and guidance about their experiences; then that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :smile:

Hi,

I’m coming to the end of my Access to Science course . I saw a lot of people saying that the course is intense and it has exceeded my expectations…my course has been REALLY intense. How many hours a week do you hope to work whilst completing it? I have worked 1-2 days per week. Anything more than that would have been unmanageable for me personally. When I’ve had big deadlines coming up sometimes I haven’t worked that week so I can get the work done. It honestly depends on if you can afford to quit your part time job or not. I think working 1-3 days per week max is doable. But anything more than that is pushing it in my opinion. Of course it depends on how your course will be taught and structured as well as how well you grasp the topics but that’s my input. Good luck :-)
Reply 2
Original post by Quierosaber
Hi,

I’m coming to the end of my Access to Science course . I saw a lot of people saying that the course is intense and it has exceeded my expectations…my course has been REALLY intense. How many hours a week do you hope to work whilst completing it? I have worked 1-2 days per week. Anything more than that would have been unmanageable for me personally. When I’ve had big deadlines coming up sometimes I haven’t worked that week so I can get the work done. It honestly depends on if you can afford to quit your part time job or not. I think working 1-3 days per week max is doable. But anything more than that is pushing it in my opinion. Of course it depends on how your course will be taught and structured as well as how well you grasp the topics but that’s my input. Good luck :-)

Hello!
The amount of hours that I work varies. But mainly I've been doing 1-2 days; because I'm already at college doing a separate course which has already finished now. I'm worried because I haven't done fast paced work since 2018. The work on my college course has been relaxed and not so challenging. Would you recommend me getting GCSE books to help my brain refresh regarding chemistry, biology and physics? Thank you :smile:
Hello!
The amount of hours that I work varies. But mainly I've been doing 1-2 days; because I'm already at college doing a separate course which has already finished now. I'm worried because I haven't done fast paced work since 2018. The work on my college course has been relaxed and not so challenging. Would you recommend me getting GCSE books to help my brain refresh regarding chemistry, biology and physics? Thank you :smile:

Hi,

Ah okay I understand. Maybe you could wait until when you start the course to see how you get on? It’s good that you’re already thinking about this. Quite a few people on my course thought they could work full time hours and cope lol…they have not been doing well and some have had to reduce their hours.
In regards to the GCSE material, yes it wouldn’t hurt but bare in mind the jump from GCSE to what’s taught on the Access course is significant. I looked over GCSE material before starting my course and for Biology and Chemistry it didn’t really help much because so much detail is missing in the GCSE content. But for Physics I’ve found myself reading Complete Physics which is a level 2 GCSE book, whilst completing assignments to help me understand the Access content. So yeah I think the GCSE books could help but in addition to looking over some A level content too. Do you know what topics will be covered in your Access course? If not try to find out so that you can focus on those areas. I’d also recommend brushing up on your Maths too.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Hi,

Ah okay I understand. Maybe you could wait until when you start the course to see how you get on? It’s good that you’re already thinking about this. Quite a few people on my course thought they could work full time hours and cope lol…they have not been doing well and some have had to reduce their hours.
In regards to the GCSE material, yes it wouldn’t hurt but bare in mind the jump from GCSE to what’s taught on the Access course is significant. I looked over GCSE material before starting my course and for Biology and Chemistry it didn’t really help much because so much detail is missing in the GCSE content. But for Physics I’ve found myself reading Complete Physics which is a level 2 GCSE book, whilst completing assignments to help me understand the Access content. So yeah I think the GCSE books could help but in addition to looking over some A level content too. Do you know what topics will be covered in your Access course? If not try to find out so that you can focus on those areas. I’d also recommend brushing up on your Maths too.

I think I will wait so I can really know if I can cope with my part time job alongside the diploma. Ah thank you, I just didn't know if it would be worthwhile just to look at A-level content rather than the GCSE books; but I'll take on board what you've said. As for the topics; I'll be covering Chemistry, Biology, Physics; but I'll also be looking at Anatomy and Physiology and Health Physics. Obviously this will differ slightly by where you take the Access to HE course at, but how are the lessons carried out? are the teachers willing to help; I'm just worried they would expect me to know parts that I might not know; which makes me worried that I may fall behind, is this the case?
I think I will wait so I can really know if I can cope with my part time job alongside the diploma. Ah thank you, I just didn't know if it would be worthwhile just to look at A-level content rather than the GCSE books; but I'll take on board what you've said. As for the topics; I'll be covering Chemistry, Biology, Physics; but I'll also be looking at Anatomy and Physiology and Health Physics. Obviously this will differ slightly by where you take the Access to HE course at, but how are the lessons carried out? are the teachers willing to help; I'm just worried they would expect me to know parts that I might not know; which makes me worried that I may fall behind, is this the case?

Yeah I think a bit of both will help for sure. Ah okay cool. Sorry I meant modules like do you know if you’ll be doing Photosynthesis and Respiration for Biology or Electricity for Physics for example? On my course the teachers have been lovely. They have been helpful to everyone. But I have noticed that they’re more likely to help those that actually try to be independent and put in effort more than those that don’t. There has been a few times when I’ve felt like my teachers have forgotten that a lot of us haven’t done science before but overall they have been supportive and always willing to help us understand things better. Most teachers on an access course are likely to be mindful that a lot of people haven’t studied the subject before which is why they’re studying it now lol! So they should be fine. If you start your assignments as early possible, do background reading, do what your teachers have advised to get the grades you want and ask questions when you need guidance, you will be fine! In regards to the lessons mine have been quite fast paced. Especially now that I only have one month left. Sometimes I haven’t understood something in class but gone away done some reading, watched some videos, practiced and been able to understand it. There is a lot of self study involved and independence in comparison to how college was for me the first time and of course school. My teachers have told us what is expected of us, what we need to do to achieve distinctions and have been open to questions. But they haven’t chased us to do the work. I think the teaching style will help me for uni but I do wish that more time would have been spent on some topics in class but it’s the nature of the course! How many days a week are you going to be in for?
Reply 6
Yeah I think a bit of both will help for sure. Ah okay cool. Sorry I meant modules like do you know if you’ll be doing Photosynthesis and Respiration for Biology or Electricity for Physics for example? On my course the teachers have been lovely. They have been helpful to everyone. But I have noticed that they’re more likely to help those that actually try to be independent and put in effort more than those that don’t. There has been a few times when I’ve felt like my teachers have forgotten that a lot of us haven’t done science before but overall they have been supportive and always willing to help us understand things better. Most teachers on an access course are likely to be mindful that a lot of people haven’t studied the subject before which is why they’re studying it now lol! So they should be fine. If you start your assignments as early possible, do background reading, do what your teachers have advised to get the grades you want and ask questions when you need guidance, you will be fine! In regards to the lessons mine have been quite fast paced. Especially now that I only have one month left. Sometimes I haven’t understood something in class but gone away done some reading, watched some videos, practiced and been able to understand it. There is a lot of self study involved and independence in comparison to how college was for me the first time and of course school. My teachers have told us what is expected of us, what we need to do to achieve distinctions and have been open to questions. But they haven’t chased us to do the work. I think the teaching style will help me for uni but I do wish that more time would have been spent on some topics in class but it’s the nature of the course! How many days a week are you going to be in for?

I'll look into that before starting the diploma. Ah yeah I'm not sure about the modules. From what I can see on the college's website, it only says the core topics. I feel like I do like to be independent when it comes to doing work so I think hopefully I'll be alright in that case lol. That's something to take into consideration about the lessons; I'll take on your advice and do some more research or watch videos about what has been taught in a particular lesson. From what I know, I'll be in 3 days a week. How is the application process going for uni? Do teachers help you to an extent or do they leave you to do that by yourself?
I'll look into that before starting the diploma. Ah yeah I'm not sure about the modules. From what I can see on the college's website, it only says the core topics. I feel like I do like to be independent when it comes to doing work so I think hopefully I'll be alright in that case lol. That's something to take into consideration about the lessons; I'll take on your advice and do some more research or watch videos about what has been taught in a particular lesson. From what I know, I'll be in 3 days a week. How is the application process going for uni? Do teachers help you to an extent or do they leave you to do that by yourself?

Ah okay then. That’s good that you’re an independent learner, you will be fine! Okay cool, my course has been over 3 days also. The application process for uni was straight forward. We spent a few tutorial lessons going over how to fill out the application particularly for filling out our qualifications from school and modules from the Access course as well as student finance. In regards to our personal statements our personal tutor encouraged us to start them early and kept on reminding us about them. She also offered to read over our personal statements and gave feedback. I’d advise signing up to personal statement sessions with any of the unis you plan on applying for. I attended a few and they helped me to structure my personal statement. My tutors feedback helped too. What do you want to study at uni?
Reply 8
Ah okay then. That’s good that you’re an independent learner, you will be fine! Okay cool, my course has been over 3 days also. The application process for uni was straight forward. We spent a few tutorial lessons going over how to fill out the application particularly for filling out our qualifications from school and modules from the Access course as well as student finance. In regards to our personal statements our personal tutor encouraged us to start them early and kept on reminding us about them. She also offered to read over our personal statements and gave feedback. I’d advise signing up to personal statement sessions with any of the unis you plan on applying for. I attended a few and they helped me to structure my personal statement. My tutors feedback helped too. What do you want to study at uni?

Thank you. Fingers crossed that I'll be fine! I'm glad the teachers do go over the application process for uni; that's reassuring. I wasn't aware that unis do personal statement sessions; are they free to sign up for? I'm planning on doing Pharmacy or possibly Pharmacology. I know Pharmacology is more influenced by chemistry, so I'm waiting to see if I'll enjoy chemistry in detail and from there I'll decide if Pharmacology is more what I want to do. But for the time being, It's Pharmacy.
Yes the personal statement sessions are free. The ones I attended were online. I doubt they’ll be advertised now but it’s worth signing up to the mailing lists of the unis you’re considering and keeping an eye on their websites. I think some unis may have previous sessions available to watch. Ooo okay lovely! I know some unis can be particular about the modules that you’ve studied on an Access course especially for Pharmacy. If you can try to find out what your modules are. Well I wish you all the best with your Access course if you have any other questions let me know! Good luck ☺️
Reply 10
Yes the personal statement sessions are free. The ones I attended were online. I doubt they’ll be advertised now but it’s worth signing up to the mailing lists of the unis you’re considering and keeping an eye on their websites. I think some unis may have previous sessions available to watch. Ooo okay lovely! I know some unis can be particular about the modules that you’ve studied on an Access course especially for Pharmacy. If you can try to find out what your modules are. Well I wish you all the best with your Access course if you have any other questions let me know! Good luck ☺️

Ooh I'll be sure to look into that. I could really benefit from a session with personal statements; I did write one to get onto the Access to HE course, but it could definitely be improved. I'll be sure to find out more about the modules, hopefully they aren't too complicated to understand lol. How many people attended your course? like was it a small group or larger group of people? Thank you so much! :smile:
Ooh I'll be sure to look into that. I could really benefit from a session with personal statements; I did write one to get onto the Access to HE course, but it could definitely be improved. I'll be sure to find out more about the modules, hopefully they aren't too complicated to understand lol. How many people attended your course? like was it a small group or larger group of people? Thank you so much! :smile:

We started with about 24 people but now there's only 10 of us left!
Reply 12
We started with about 24 people but now there's only 10 of us left!

That's not too bad! What is it like when it comes to presenting presentations? I'm not the biggest fan when it comes to presentations; but I know within the diploma I'll have to do it haha. Was it an overwhelming amount of presentations or did you only have to present here and there?
That's not too bad! What is it like when it comes to presenting presentations? I'm not the biggest fan when it comes to presentations; but I know within the diploma I'll have to do it haha. Was it an overwhelming amount of presentations or did you only have to present here and there?

Personally I enjoy doing presentations lol. There’s only been a total of 4 on my course. Not much at all in comparison to the amount of written work we’ve had to do. Why don’t you like them?
Reply 14
Personally I enjoy doing presentations lol. There’s only been a total of 4 on my course. Not much at all in comparison to the amount of written work we’ve had to do. Why don’t you like them?

Oh that's a relief! I'm glad there aren't many presentations that I would need to do. Has any of them been marked or to go towards your overall grades at the end? I'm a very anxious person, so I don't enjoy doing presentations haha. But I'm sure I'll get over that hurdle!
Reply 15
My daughter has almost completed an access course. They are intense if you want to get as many distinctions as possible. You may find you have to prioritise the course over the job but you can give the job up if it is too much.
Reply 16
Original post by Cote1
My daughter has almost completed an access course. They are intense if you want to get as many distinctions as possible. You may find you have to prioritise the course over the job but you can give the job up if it is too much.

How has she found the course so far? Has she enjoyed the topics that have been taught on the degree? Yes I want to do as well as I possibly can to up the chances of me getting into uni. I'm worried when it comes to learning about chemistry and physics, I haven't done them at GCSE level. So with that in mind and doing assignments, I'm cautious that it will make me even more stressed. I'll definitely keep that in mind about my job. Thank you
Reply 17
How has she found the course so far? Has she enjoyed the topics that have been taught on the degree? Yes I want to do as well as I possibly can to up the chances of me getting into uni. I'm worried when it comes to learning about chemistry and physics, I haven't done them at GCSE level. So with that in mind and doing assignments, I'm cautious that it will make me even more stressed. I'll definitely keep that in mind about my job. Thank you

Hi

It is an access to higher education course not a degree.

It has been intense so there are many times when she has not enjoyed it! However, she is very glad that she has done it. It will get her into the university she wants. She has learnt a lot about essay writing, referencing and academic writing.

I would say that you need to work hard and start assignments as soon as you are given them. Contact the tutors now and ask how you can read up on the basics over the summer. Ask what books they recommend. It would be a good idea to do this in your case as you have not done them at GCSE.

Get as much feedback from your tutors on your ongoing assignments as you can as you go along.

Make sure assignments are done in academic writing style and correctly referenced. Comb through assignment guidelines and check that you have met all the criteria for each one.

I presume that you have checked that the universities you want to go to do accept this access course?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Cote1
Hi

It is an access to higher education course not a degree.

It has been intense so there are many times when she has not enjoyed it! However, she is very glad that she has done it. It will get her into the university she wants. She has learnt a lot about essay writing, referencing and academic writing.

I would say that you need to work hard and start assignments as soon as you are given them. Contact the tutors now and ask how you can read up on the basics over the summer. Ask what books they recommend. It would be a good idea to do this in your case as you have not done them at GCSE.

Get as much feedback from your tutors on your ongoing assignments as you can as you go along.

Make sure assignments are done in academic writing style and correctly referenced. Comb through assignment guidelines and check that you have met all the criteria for each one.

I presume that you have checked that the universities you want to go to do accept this access course?

Hi! Yes I do understand that it's a course and not a degree. I was implying that I would want to do well on this course so I can have more of a chance into getting uni at a later stage to do a degree. I'm sure there will be times for me where I'll feel unmotivated with this course, but I'm going to try to push through it lol! I'll be seeing my tutors next week to discuss further more about the diploma so I'll be sure to ask them about that. Thank you I'll be sure to do that with my assignments. Yes I have checked what universities accept this course. My first choice would be Cardiff Uni, but I'm not too if they only accept this course with other qualifications. But I am looking at other universities aswell.
Reply 19
Hi! Yes I do understand that it's a course and not a degree. I was implying that I would want to do well on this course so I can have more of a chance into getting uni at a later stage to do a degree. I'm sure there will be times for me where I'll feel unmotivated with this course, but I'm going to try to push through it lol! I'll be seeing my tutors next week to discuss further more about the diploma so I'll be sure to ask them about that. Thank you I'll be sure to do that with my assignments. Yes I have checked what universities accept this course. My first choice would be Cardiff Uni, but I'm not too if they only accept this course with other qualifications. But I am looking at other universities aswell.

I only said that as you asked if she liked the topics on her degree..probably a typo:smile:

Get as much support as you can. Check entry requirements for university carefully too. There is information on here from people who have done the course. It is good to apply tactically to university too. See if you can find universities who accept less distinctions as a back up. You can read up on the course basics over the summer.
On my daughter's course the students formed a WhatsApp group which is a good idea to give mutual support.

There is a personal statement checking service on TSR. It doesn't cost anything.

If you are resitting gcse too it will be very challenging so you could cut down your hours if it is affordable.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest