The Student Room Group

Criminology undergraduate

I wish to study criminology in university for my undergraduate. I am currently in year 12 and I study psychology in a level.
For anyone who studies or have studied criminology, would you be able to tell me your experiences and how you felt about the course?
Original post by Sukn
I wish to study criminology in university for my undergraduate. I am currently in year 12 and I study psychology in a level.
For anyone who studies or have studied criminology, would you be able to tell me your experiences and how you felt about the course?

It's not my own experience personally but I have a friend who studied criminology. After graduating, she went on to work in the police force, although I can't remember what her role was.

At the time, she did say that going to open days for different universities really helped her decide where she wanted to go. She ended up going to Birmingham City because they did this short taster session where they showed you what a typical lecture/seminar would look like, and she thought it was more interesting than the other places she visited.

If you have course specific questions, you could always email different universities and I'm sure they would be happy to reply to prospective students. It'll also be good to go through the modules they would have listed on each of their websites as they'll go through the kind of things you would learn. You may find that you're more interested in a certain aspect of criminology. For open days, they will also have students currently on the course you are interested in so you could always ask them in person to see what their experience is like.
Reply 2
Original post by jenny07
It's not my own experience personally but I have a friend who studied criminology. After graduating, she went on to work in the police force, although I can't remember what her role was.

At the time, she did say that going to open days for different universities really helped her decide where she wanted to go. She ended up going to Birmingham City because they did this short taster session where they showed you what a typical lecture/seminar would look like, and she thought it was more interesting than the other places she visited.

If you have course specific questions, you could always email different universities and I'm sure they would be happy to reply to prospective students. It'll also be good to go through the modules they would have listed on each of their websites as they'll go through the kind of things you would learn. You may find that you're more interested in a certain aspect of criminology. For open days, they will also have students currently on the course you are interested in so you could always ask them in person to see what their experience is like.

Thank you for replying. Your response is really helpful.
I plan on finding work experience so that I can see if I like it or not but I also plan on going to open days.
Hi there,

Although I didn't study Criminology (which isn't much help to you), I know that recently Criminology has become really popular here at Chichester.

We do have some students studying Criminology who would be happy to chat to you on Unibuddy about the course and how they're finding it.
You can chat to them here.

I know there are options to combine Criminology with the likes of Forensic Psychology or Sociology which might be of interest. I'll link the course pages here if you fancied having a look through.

I hope that helps a little bit :smile:

Megan
University of Chichester Alumni
Reply 4
Original post by ChichesterStuRep
Hi there,

Although I didn't study Criminology (which isn't much help to you), I know that recently Criminology has become really popular here at Chichester.

We do have some students studying Criminology who would be happy to chat to you on Unibuddy about the course and how they're finding it.
You can chat to them here.

I know there are options to combine Criminology with the likes of Forensic Psychology or Sociology which might be of interest. I'll link the course pages here if you fancied having a look through.

I hope that helps a little bit :smile:

Megan
University of Chichester Alumni

Thank you, this was helpful.
Original post by Sukn

Hi @Sukn
I am studying a law with criminology undergraduate degree so I can help out a little hopefully. We have looked at a wide range of social issues relating to crime such as cybercrime, society and punishment, terrorism, drugs etc. It is about developing an understanding of criminological theories and concepts. It is a useful degree if you are looking to work in the criminal justice sector. I really enjoy looking at all the different theories and there is no black and white answer in criminology so it gives you the opportunity to research and explore areas more.

Please let me know if you have any further questions
Kasey - ULaw Student Ambassador
Reply 6
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi @Sukn
I am studying a law with criminology undergraduate degree so I can help out a little hopefully. We have looked at a wide range of social issues relating to crime such as cybercrime, society and punishment, terrorism, drugs etc. It is about developing an understanding of criminological theories and concepts. It is a useful degree if you are looking to work in the criminal justice sector. I really enjoy looking at all the different theories and there is no black and white answer in criminology so it gives you the opportunity to research and explore areas more.

Please let me know if you have any further questions
Kasey - ULaw Student Ambassador

Thank you for your reply. This is a good insight into the course. During your course do you get to apply what you’ve learnt into real life cases?
this might be too personal of a question but how did you know that you wanted to do criminology?
Original post by Sukn
Thank you for your reply. This is a good insight into the course. During your course do you get to apply what you’ve learnt into real life cases?
this might be too personal of a question but how did you know that you wanted to do criminology?

You definitely apply theories to cases. For example, I was studying a theory that could be applicable to the well known English case of John Venables and Robert Thompson and the murder they committed. I've always been interested in law and the criminal justice system so I looked into law with criminology and thought it would be a good idea for me to get both aspects of the system. I am mostly interested in criminal law so thought it would give me a good solid background of the theories behind criminality. Criminology supports law well as you get to see the thought process and the reasons behind why people are committing crimes.

Please let me know if you have any further questions I'll be happy to answer.
Kasey - ULaw student ambassador
Reply 8
Original post by The University of Law Students
You definitely apply theories to cases. For example, I was studying a theory that could be applicable to the well known English case of John Venables and Robert Thompson and the murder they committed. I've always been interested in law and the criminal justice system so I looked into law with criminology and thought it would be a good idea for me to get both aspects of the system. I am mostly interested in criminal law so thought it would give me a good solid background of the theories behind criminality. Criminology supports law well as you get to see the thought process and the reasons behind why people are committing crimes.

Please let me know if you have any further questions I'll be happy to answer.
Kasey - ULaw student ambassador

Did you do any work experience before going into uni?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending