The Student Room Group

Question about "English Language"

Why is it called "English Language" when the GCSE has absolutely nothing to do with the English Language?
how does it have nothing to do with the English language? it assesses your ability to write and read in English.
Original post by Galaxy-Charmy
Why is it called "English Language" when the GCSE has absolutely nothing to do with the English Language?

Since English is a primary language of UK students they not only want to test your fluency but also the quality and effectiveness of your speech. It's aptly named imo
Original post by vapordave
how does it have nothing to do with the English language? it assesses your ability to write and read in English.

I mean, when I think 'English Language', I think it's to do with speaking in English. If it's writing, it should be in Literature. For reading, I guess it can be part of Language.
Original post by Galaxy-Charmy
I mean, when I think 'English Language', I think it's to do with speaking in English. If it's writing, it should be in Literature. For reading, I guess it can be part of Language.

English literature is the literary analysis of literature written in English, not "writing in English".

Also bear in mind language learning is not merely learning the basic grammar and vocab of a language - those are the foundational stages, but at higher levels of language ability it will be testing critical reading comprehension, composition in a variety of contexts, speaking to different kinds of audiences, and general stylistics.

All of which GCSE English language does do - fundamentally it assesses (creative) writing, (critical) reading, and (public) speaking skills, which are all of the core skills of language learning other than listening.
Original post by artful_lounger
English literature is the literary analysis of literature written in English, not "writing in English".

Also bear in mind language learning is not merely learning the basic grammar and vocab of a language - those are the foundational stages, but at higher levels of language ability it will be testing critical reading comprehension, composition in a variety of contexts, speaking to different kinds of audiences, and general stylistics.

All of which GCSE English language does do - fundamentally it assesses (creative) writing, (critical) reading, and (public) speaking skills, which are all of the core skills of language learning other than listening.

Hmm... I guess so...

Quick Reply

Latest