The Student Room Group

Russian-speaking countries

Hi! I am learning Russian and aim to pursue a career in languages. I would have loved to visit Russia to improve my language skills however with what's happening right now, I'd rather give it a miss for the foreseeable. Do any other European countries have Russian as one of their official languages?
Hi! Russian is an official language in Russia (obvs), Belarus, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan. Belarus is also sort of one to avoid as they are heavily sanctioned and on Russia's side.Other than Ukraine, there is Armenia, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. They are all former USSR members so whilst Russian isn't an official language, it's widely spoken there. Universities are looking at Riga in Latvia and Almaty in Kazakhstan (among others) as places for the year out, so would probably recommend those the most.
As above. Israel also has plenty of Russian speakers.
Reply 3
Original post by Cornelius_Kettle
Hi! Russian is an official language in Russia (obvs), Belarus, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan. Belarus is also sort of one to avoid as they are heavily sanctioned and on Russia's side.Other than Ukraine, there is Armenia, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. They are all former USSR members so whilst Russian isn't an official language, it's widely spoken there. Universities are looking at Riga in Latvia and Almaty in Kazakhstan (among others) as places for the year out, so would probably recommend those the most.

That's fantastic, thank you for that info!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending