The Student Room Group

A level Law

Hi guys,
Can you guys help, im confused with what offence does with what defence: murder, loss of control, diminished responsibility, gross negligent manslaughter, unlawful act manslaughter, insanity, automatism and intoxication?
Original post by _harry03
Hi guys,
Can you guys help, im confused with what offence does with what defence: murder, loss of control, diminished responsibility, gross negligent manslaughter, unlawful act manslaughter, insanity, automatism and intoxication?

Diminished responsibility and loss of control are partial defences for murder, reduce the offence to one of manslaughter. Insanity is a partial defence to which D receives the special verdict and the judge can impose a hospital order or supervision order ( or an indefinite charge where it is murder) . Intoxication is a partial defence to specific intent offences where it is voluntarily induced and D does not have the mens rea but is a defence to basic and specific intent offences where it is involuntarily induced and D does not have the mens rea. Unlawful act manslaughter is where the Actus reus of murder has taken place without the mens rea, is a defence to murder . Automatism is a complete defence, if the defence if given, D is not charged at all, hence why most people plead automatism rather than insanity.
Reply 2
Hi thank you for that can I direct message you ask more questions? :smile:

yes sure as I am revising for the exams too and it will help me remember
Reply 4
What can I message you on privately as I don’t know how to do it on here?
Original post by mjuhbgtfcdesz159
yes sure as I am revising for the exams too and it will help me remember

So i have paper 1 on the 6th and for voluntary intoxication and self induced automatism i was wondering what the difference is. How can i identify which defence to use since they are so similiar
Reply 6
Also any predictions on what the questions will be on?
Also any predictions on what the questions will be on?

no clue, have to revise everything but I would focus 60% for scenario, 25% for essay and 15% for legal system. That's me though, you can do what you like
Reply 8
Has anyone covered law and fault im stuck on that?

What is a level law like.
(edited 1 year ago)
it is horrible :smile:
Original post by zik04._
So i have paper 1 on the 6th and for voluntary intoxication and self induced automatism i was wondering what the difference is. How can i identify which defence to use since they are so similiar

You don't need to identify which defence to use, only the defence that is asked in the question. E.g. ' is the defence of intoxication allowed for sam'. This depends on if if the offence charged is one of specific intent or basic, and if the intoxication was voluntary or involuntary. If sam committed a basic intent crime, whilst voluntary intoxicated, he will not be given the defence as it is seen as a reckless course of conduct, and recklessness can constitute to the actus reus of basic intent crimes. Also, the main different is that automatism has to be from an external cause such as in the case of Quick - his state of mind was caused by taking insulin. Intoxication has to be from an internal cause. It all matters about the scenario.
Original post by jassi16
it is horrible :smile:

Could you elaborate please.
Original post by Charlotteshay
Could you elaborate please.

It's not that bad, there are a lot of cases and context that you have to remember though. What other subjects are you thinking to take and what do you want to do for university ?

How did you find the exam and what questions did you do?
What is a level law like.

If ur doing AQA, and ACTUALLY revise for the exams like months prior to the final exam, you could easily get an A* because the answers are literally the structure which you just have to memorise. If you cant commit to it and leave it to the last week (like i did) then you wont get such a high grade and will have to resit.
Original post by zik04._
If ur doing AQA, and ACTUALLY revise for the exams like months prior to the final exam, you could easily get an A* because the answers are literally the structure which you just have to memorise. If you cant commit to it and leave it to the last week (like i did) then you wont get such a high grade and will have to resit.

what about ocr.
what about ocr.

couldnt tell you as i dot do it, i know the grade boundaries for an A is higher on OCR but then maybe the exams is easier, not sure

Quick Reply

Latest