The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Religious Studies Paper 1: Philosophy of Religion 9RS0 01 - 9 Jun 202

Edexcel A Level Religious Studies Paper 1: Philosophy of Religion 9RS0 01 - 9 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Thursday 9th June AM
Length: 2h

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:

Scroll to see replies

Any predictions for the 30?
What are we thinking the anthology question will be? my teachers basically said don't revise Russel Copleston but i think they could put it in because it links to the cosmological argument and RE
My teacher's fairly certain it'll be on the Flew/Hare/Mackie extracts with religious language

Original post by Alice12346
What are we thinking the anthology question will be? my teachers basically said don't revise Russel Copleston but i think they could put it in because it links to the cosmological argument and RE
My teacher is too, but I don't know why? I'm really nervous it's going to be the C/R debate...
Original post by rgreatorex28
My teacher's fairly certain it'll be on the Flew/Hare/Mackie extracts with religious language
Does anyone have any practice anthology questions?
Original post by oliviacarmen3
My teacher is too, but I don't know why? I'm really nervous it's going to be the C/R debate...

I think it's because Russel and Copleston as key thinkers have been taken off the specification in the advanced information - I definitely wouldn't be prepared if that was the extract!
I think it's because Russel and Copleston as key thinkers have been taken off the specification in the advanced information - I definitely wouldn't be prepared if that was the extract!

Oh I see, that makes sense! It seems to me now that it definitely won't be that. Let's be confident it won't be together!! :h:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by oliviacarmen3
Oh I see, that makes sense! It seems to me now that it definitely won't be that. Let's be confident it won't be together!! :h:

Definitely, I'm manifesting a religious language extract and 20 marker!! Any predictions for the 30 marker?
Swear the anthology has to be on religious language either Flew/Hare or Flew/Mitchell.

I thought Mackie wasn't on the advanced info?
Original post by olaisonly
I thought Mackie wasn't on the advanced info?

Oops, apologies, I meant Mitchell
Definitely, I'm manifesting a religious language extract and 20 marker!! Any predictions for the 30 marker?

Idk some people in my class were thinking either an analogy/symbol one like "all religious language is symbolic" Discuss or one that combines the design/onto/cosmo/critiques for religious belief so like "Gods existence is proven by the design argument" or "Gods existence cannot be proven"
I thinl the anthology is gonna be on Flew and Hare cus in 2019 there was one on Flew and Mitchell.
yeah i’m sensing a hare extract because Mitchell has already been used and flew was featured on a specimen paper, so hare is the only one to have not been used
yeah i’m sensing a hare extract because Mitchell has already been used and flew was featured on a specimen paper, so hare is the only one to have not been used

Do u think the 12 marker and 30 marker are gonna be religious experience and arguments for existence of God since it only mentions S+W
Do u think the 12 marker and 30 marker are gonna be religious experience and arguments for existence of God since it only mentions S+W

yeah that’s my prediction personally, the only other option for the 30 marker could be the challenges to belief unit but it feels unlikely they’ll go down that root
The anthology extracts, which will be used in question 3, are not included in this advance information.
Therefore, students are expected to study (as in previous series) a range of texts that support and
underpin their knowledge and understanding. The list of extracts that must be studied is included in the
specification, at the end of the specification topics for each paper. Students will need to be able to apply
the texts listed in the specification across any suitable topic area.
There are anthology extracts that are relevant to more than one topic and so we cannot say which parts
of the anthology can be ignored or will be included in the assessment. The anthology extract that will be
included in the question 3 will be taken from the list that is included in the specification and it will be
relevant to the topics presented in the Advanced Information document.

Got that from the FAQ on edexcel website I think the Russell Copleston might be on
Original post by itslouisss
The anthology extracts, which will be used in question 3, are not included in this advance information.
Therefore, students are expected to study (as in previous series) a range of texts that support and
underpin their knowledge and understanding. The list of extracts that must be studied is included in the
specification, at the end of the specification topics for each paper. Students will need to be able to apply
the texts listed in the specification across any suitable topic area.
There are anthology extracts that are relevant to more than one topic and so we cannot say which parts
of the anthology can be ignored or will be included in the assessment. The anthology extract that will be
included in the question 3 will be taken from the list that is included in the specification and it will be
relevant to the topics presented in the Advanced Information document.

Got that from the FAQ on edexcel website I think the Russell Copleston might be on

Hey, I asked my teacher about this and because the advanced info said it includes 100% it's basically gonna be one of the 2 religious language extracts. He said that it can't be on any other topics because none of the advanced info links with any other anthology. I'm hoping he's correct, not even been taught the Russell and Copleston anthology.
Hey, I asked my teacher about this and because the advanced info said it includes 100% it's basically gonna be one of the 2 religious language extracts. He said that it can't be on any other topics because none of the advanced info links with any other anthology. I'm hoping he's correct, not even been taught the Russell and Copleston anthology.

I dont want to stress you out but the RC anthology has the cosmological argument from contingency and religious experience as it's main themes. I think maybe because the adv info focusses on the strengths and weaknesses of both it could mean they they arent as relevant but maybe it would be good just to have a read? My plan is to just review enough that i can apply what they say to the criticisms of the cosmological argument like russell about the universe being a brute fact and their debate about necesity etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending