The Student Room Group

OCR A Level Geography Geographical debates H481/03 - 17 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did the exam go for you?

OCR A Level Geography Geographical debates H481/03 - 17 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Friday 17th June PM
Length: 2h30

Resources:
Specification
Advanced Information

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:

Scroll to see replies

Make notes
Any predictions for Paper 3?
I do Future for Food and Hazardous Earth
how do u even revise for paper 3! i have only ever done a 33 marker once !!! idek the structure of this paper
Reply 4
i was looking at old 33 markers for hazards and there's a pattern - they always seem to ask one based on spec point 4. (implications of living in tectonically active locations) and one based on 5. (what measures are available to help people cope) every year. with climate change though the 33 markers are completely random!
(edited 1 year ago)

For the climate change 33 marker do you think it will be on evidence for climate change (2a) impacts of climate change (4b), mitigation strategies (4c) or geopolitics/international directives etc (5a)?
Reply 6
Original post by Alicecollins22

For the climate change 33 marker do you think it will be on evidence for climate change (2a) impacts of climate change (4b), mitigation strategies (4c) or geopolitics/international directives etc (5a)?

soz in advance for the long reply but here r my thoughts lol

not sure if theyd ask a 33 marker on 2a since they took out the 2 case studies and how humans enhance the natural greenhouse gas effect.. theyve asked a 6 mark question about this area before tho - something like how are shrinking ice sheets evidence of global warming (cant remember exactly, its from the sample paper tho)

the implications of climate change for people and the environment + vulnerability (4b) is the only area of the spec that they have never asked a 33 marker on before, BUT the synoptic link for climate change is migration so i think that this is more likely to be the 12 marker??? something like how does climate change make migration more complex maybe

with mitigation from 4c, in the 2018 paper they asked whether economic factors are the most important at determining which mitigation strategy to use. However this year theyve removed both of the case studies so???? not sure what theyd ask us to analyse. but it explains why they kept CCS in the paper 1 ELSS advanced info and then never asked abt it lol

5c is the only area that rn i can defo see them asking a 33 marker on tbh. something like 'an international response to climate change will never be successful.' or 'climate change cannot be mitigated/solved without international cooperation' + discuss. also in the threads for the other papers someone noticed how our advanced info is similar to the 2019 papers - and they asked this 33 marker in 2019! lol
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by komo.
soz in advance for the long reply but here r my thoughts lol

not sure if theyd ask a 33 marker on 2a since they took out the 2 case studies and how humans enhance the natural greenhouse gas effect.. theyve asked a 6 mark question about this area before tho - something like how are shrinking ice sheets evidence of global warming (cant remember exactly, its from the sample paper tho)

the implications of climate change for people and the environment + vulnerability (4b) is the only area of the spec that they have never asked a 33 marker on before, BUT the synoptic link for climate change is migration so i think that this is more likely to be the 12 marker??? something like how does climate change make migration more complex maybe

with mitigation from 4c, in the 2018 paper they asked whether economic factors are the most important at determining which mitigation strategy to use. However this year theyve removed both of the case studies so???? not sure what theyd ask us to analyse. but it explains why they kept CCS in the paper 1 ELSS advanced info and then never asked abt it lol

5c is the only area that rn i can defo see them asking a 33 marker on tbh. something like 'an international response to climate change will never be successful.' or 'climate change cannot be mitigated/solved without international cooperation' + discuss. also in the threads for the other papers someone noticed how our advanced info is similar to the 2019 papers - and they asked this 33 marker in 2019! lol

Don’t apologise hahah!

I feel like 2a is probs unlikely as a 33 marker unless it was something like ‘Sea level rise is the most significant impact of climate change’ or something along those lines, then compare the other impacts like extreme weather, melting glaciers, rising temperatures, reduced biodiversity etc.

And yes for the synoptic link 4b woukd make sense so just hope it’s not something completely random.

It’s weird how they’ve got rid of the case studies (idk if you do same but for me Bangladesh and Australia) so I guess could only ask about general strategies but idk if that would work

I agree and think something along the lines of international directives/response is probably quite likely
Reply 8
Don’t apologise hahah!

I feel like 2a is probs unlikely as a 33 marker unless it was something like ‘Sea level rise is the most significant impact of climate change’ or something along those lines, then compare the other impacts like extreme weather, melting glaciers, rising temperatures, reduced biodiversity etc.

And yes for the synoptic link 4b woukd make sense so just hope it’s not something completely random.

It’s weird how they’ve got rid of the case studies (idk if you do same but for me Bangladesh and Australia) so I guess could only ask about general strategies but idk if that would work

I agree and think something along the lines of international directives/response is probably quite likely

Looking over the advanced info again i honestly think we've cracked it hahaha :colone: one 33 marker on international directives and another about the impacts of climate change (which could easily combine 2a and 4b) - plus the synoptic migration question that explains why they kept the vulnerability of people bullet point in. which leaves a 6 marker, probably to examine the use/effectiveness of (ccs, forestry, etc) as a mitigation strategy!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by komo.
Looking over the advanced info again i honestly think we've cracked it hahaha :colone: one 33 marker on international directives and another about the impacts of climate change (which could easily combine 2a and 4b) - plus the synoptic migration question that explains why they kept the vulnerability of people bullet point in. which leaves a 6 marker, probably to examine the use/effectiveness of (ccs, forestry, etc) as a mitigation strategy!

Fingers crossed! Will just do some essays on each of those and hope one is kind of similar! I don’t know whether to revise for paper 3 now though or just paper 2 ?
does anyone do oceans or disease?
Reply 11
Fingers crossed! Will just do some essays on each of those and hope one is kind of similar! I don’t know whether to revise for paper 3 now though or just paper 2 ?

im not touching any paper 3 content until paper 2 is out of the way :colondollar:
hey guys, lets liven up this chat :biggrin: only one paper left!!!
Reply 13
love how ive almost finished geography but havent done a single paper for any of my other subjects yet 😂
Original post by komo.
love how ive almost finished geography but havent done a single paper for any of my other subjects yet 😂

no fr, haven't even started biology yet :colonhash:
Reply 15
Original post by jheath04
no fr, haven't even started biology yet :colonhash:

im ocr for bio as well and seeing everyone panic on the paper 1 thread is scaring me :redface:
(edited 1 year ago)
any proposed 33 markers, does anyone know the structure of paper 3 because ive never done one at college rip all i know is theres 2 33 markers?
Reply 17
Original post by lmao17777
any proposed 33 markers, does anyone know the structure of paper 3 because ive never done one at college rip all i know is theres 2 33 markers?

yeah each topic has the same structure: a 3 and a 6 marker - prob data presentation and just AO1 knowledge. then a 12 marker thats synoptic (synoptic links are on the advanced info at the bottom), then two 33 markers and you get the choice of which you want to answer.
so double all that for 2 topics lol
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 18
So I've heavily neglected p3
anybody have any tectonic/disease 33 mark question predictions?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by komo.

Same I’ve still got bio and chem left and I’ve just been prioritising geography ugh😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending