The Student Room Group

Oxford Colleges for Law

Hey guys,
Basically, I'm a really indecisive person and I'm applying for Oxford this year, but I'm struggling to stick to just one college for law. I've mainly looked at Brasenose, Merton, Balliol, Magdalen and St Johns, but I'm open to other colleges. I'm in particular looking for a college that is academic for me to have a high chance of getting a minimum of a 2:1 degree, but also one that still has fun and 'bops'. If anyone could provide information (pros and cons) of the best colleges for law, that would be much appreciated. Thank you!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Andrew_12b
go for medicine, it's less saturated

Thank you for your reply! I'd love to a stem subject because they have a strict requirement on answers in exams so it's more straight-forward. However, sadly I thrive in humanities, which isn't fun sometimes ahaha
Original post by Greenscholar
Hey guys,
Basically, I'm a really indecisive person and I'm applying for Oxford this year, but I'm struggling to stick to just one college for law. I've mainly looked at Brasenose, Merton, Balliol, Magdalen and St Johns, but I'm open to other colleges. I'm in particular looking for a college that is academic for me to have a high chance of getting a minimum of a 2:1 degree, but also one that still has fun and 'bops'. If anyone could provide information (pros and cons) of the best colleges for law, that would be much appreciated. Thank you!!

I did Law at Brasenose :biggrin: 10/10 would recommend.

Pros
- Very central accommodation for all 3 years (either on the college main site in Radcliffe Square or Frewin Annexe next to the Oxford Union)
- Relatively large Law cohort (~10 undergrads per year)
- Historically do well in Mods and Finals for Law (above Oxford average for distinctions and firsts)
- "Traditional" college (e.g. sandstone buildings, fun traditions like Ale Verses)
- Tutors do expect students to take their work seriously and you are expected to achieve a minimum of 2:1. From my experience the tutors will try to help if they see you struggling (and you will definitely get talked to if you constantly underperform in essays and collections).
- Hall food is pretty tasty and pay-as-you-go (no meal plans and great if you're like me and don't eat a lot per meal)

Cons
- Very little ensuite accommodation
- No kitchen access in first year (aside from the basics like a toaster and fridge). If you want to have access to a full kitchen in later years you'd have to pick Frewin Annexe (by no means a bad choice!)
- College site is relatively small/ cosy compared to the larger colleges like Christ Church and Magdalen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending