The Student Room Group

Should I choose human or physical geography NEA

Hi, I am in Year 12 and I am about to conduct the analysis for my physical geography NEA, after having been on the field trip to collect some primary data. I am doing Edexcel geography however I am confused - I want to focus my NEA on human geography but apparently I also have to complete the physical aspect too. Please can someone explain to me whether it compulsory to do both or if can I choose to focus on only one aspect? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by username7649255
Hi, I am in Year 12 and I am about to conduct the analysis for my physical geography NEA, after having been on the field trip to collect some primary data. I am doing Edexcel geography however I am confused - I want to focus my NEA on human geography but apparently I also have to complete the physical aspect too. Please can someone explain to me whether it compulsory to do both or if can I choose to focus on only one aspect? Thanks

You can focus on one side but it depends on your data as if you collected data that relates to physical geography and not solely human you might have to talk about both
my nea was about the carbon cycle and i did a bit of both human and physical within it. however i would say that physical maybe is a bit easier because you usually get numerical data which is easier to make conclusions from. with the numerical data you can also do a statistical test (spearman's rank, mann whitney u test etc) which helps hit the higher marks
Original post by gbishopp
my nea was about the carbon cycle and i did a bit of both human and physical within it. however i would say that physical maybe is a bit easier because you usually get numerical data which is easier to make conclusions from. with the numerical data you can also do a statistical test (spearman's rank, mann whitney u test etc) which helps hit the higher marks

Im interested in doing a carbon cycle nea. What was your title?
Original post by Jamestheboss05
Im interested in doing a carbon cycle nea. What was your title?

my title was "Comparison of carbon stores at (name of local forest) and (name of local town centre)".

My three key questions were:

- how does the carbon store vary between the two locations
- how does land use and management vary between the two locations
- how has land use changed and what implications has this had for carbon sequestration

hope that helps :smile:
my title was "Comparison of carbon stores at (name of local forest) and (name of local town centre)".

My three key questions were:

- how does the carbon store vary between the two locations
- how does land use and management vary between the two locations
- how has land use changed and what implications has this had for carbon sequestration

hope that helps :smile:

Thank you so much!
Most people in my college do their NEA on regeneration and the local community. Would you say that your NEA was significantly harder to collect data for compared to your peers doing regeneration etc?
Original post by Jamestheboss05
Thank you so much!
Most people in my college do their NEA on regeneration and the local community. Would you say that your NEA was significantly harder to collect data for compared to your peers doing regeneration etc?

in terms of just collecting data it was fairly easy. i used methods from this website (https://www.field-studies-council.org/resources/16-18-geography/water-and-carbon/carbon-cycle/method/) to find the tree density and carbon content for each location. the only thing is there were a lot of numbers to calculate but i used an excel spreadsheet so it wasn't too bad.

i think it probably is easier to collect data from something like regeneration but in terms of making more interesting conclusions based on solid evidence i'd say mine was better for that. part of the nea is also talking about limitations and challenges you faced during the investigation so carbon is probably better for that too
in terms of just collecting data it was fairly easy. i used methods from this website (https://www.field-studies-council.org/resources/16-18-geography/water-and-carbon/carbon-cycle/method/) to find the tree density and carbon content for each location. the only thing is there were a lot of numbers to calculate but i used an excel spreadsheet so it wasn't too bad.

i think it probably is easier to collect data from something like regeneration but in terms of making more interesting conclusions based on solid evidence i'd say mine was better for that. part of the nea is also talking about limitations and challenges you faced during the investigation so carbon is probably better for that too

Hii, I need to start my NEA too and was thinking of doing one related to the carbon cycle.
I was just wondering how you found the carbon content of the village location, did you just look at the trees in the area?
Thank you!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by AnArtStudent
Hii, I need to start my NEA too and was thinking of doing one related to the carbon cycle.
I was just wondering how you found the carbon content of the village location, did you just look at the trees in the area?
Thank you!

for each location i measured the tree density from 10 coordinates around the sites and then divided by 10 to find the average, then i measured the carbon weight in 20 trees and found the average.

multiplying the carbon weight per tree and the tree density per m^2 gives the average weight of carbon stored per m^2. so i found this for both locations and then compared them in the conclusion :smile:

in terms of carbon content i did just measure trees but i mentioned in the conclusion about other green space like parks, as the soil would still store some carbon. but i didn't take any measurements for that - i just mentioned it at the end
(edited 1 year ago)
for each location i measured the tree density from 10 coordinates around the sites and then divided by 10 to find the average, then i measured the carbon weight in 20 trees and found the average.

multiplying the carbon weight per tree and the tree density per m^2 gives the average weight of carbon stored per m^2. so i found this for both locations and then compared them in the conclusion :smile:

in terms of carbon content i did just measure trees but i mentioned in the conclusion about other green space like parks, as the soil would still store some carbon. but i didn't take any measurements for that - i just mentioned it at the end

Thank you so much! That’s really helpful 😊
Hey! I did my nea on regeneration as it was easier to collect data! I feel it’s easier to get an A* in human topics (I got 70/70)However it depends on what u like, but i loved doing a human topic! Globalisation is pretty interesting as well.
Original post by josefinaarrieg
Hey! I did my nea on regeneration as it was easier to collect data! I feel it’s easier to get an A* in human topics (I got 70/70)However it depends on what u like, but i loved doing a human topic! Globalisation is pretty interesting as well.

Wow 70/70!! What was your topic/title?
Original post by AnArtStudent
Wow 70/70!! What was your topic/title?

How did the regeneration of certain shopping centre in my area affected the surrounding area. Therefore i spoke about economic impacts, environmental issues and local perception
How did the regeneration of certain shopping centre in my area affected the surrounding area. Therefore i spoke about economic impacts, environmental issues and local perception

That’s a really good topic! Thanks for your help 😊
Do you have a copy of your Nea it would be useful to read because I was thinking about a similar area

How did you collect primary data
Original post by sxmthompsxn
How did you collect primary data

I did different data collection methods.
Have you had your fieldwork yet?
I did different data collection methods.
Have you had your fieldwork yet?

No I’m struggling to get an idea for an Nea and I find your Nea title interesting it’s just I’m not sure how I would measure it
This is amazing, congrats! I want to do my nea on deprivation in a certain area but I’m finding it difficult to come up with a catching title and sub questions, is this something you could help with? :smile:
Original post by katiemellor16
This is amazing, congrats! I want to do my nea on deprivation in a certain area but I’m finding it difficult to come up with a catching title and sub questions, is this something you could help with? :smile:

think about all the variables affecting deprivation levels in an area
environmental quality
crime rates
employment
etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending