The Student Room Group

Film production in UOG vs AUB

Hi
I was wondering if anyone has done the film prod course in Gloucestershire or in Bournemouth Arts .. my mum and I were planning on travelling over to the U.K. to go to an open day and I wanted to know if anyone here has completed or is in either of those courses currently?

I’ve been trying to find out how many places are available year on year in both unis but haven’t been able to find an answer.
I’m interested mostly in cinematography and camera work so a course that allows me to learn more about that is good if anyone has any other recommendations!

Any other info or advice greatly appreciated thanks😊
Check the courses out here. In particular, check out the NSS scores (ratings from the most recent final year).
https://discoveruni.gov.uk/
If you have specific questions such as course numbers, you should contact the Admissions Office
The NsS scores on discover uni are from the 2021 graduates - students most affected by covid disruption and lock downs. A university with poor performance in 2021 could be offering an entirely different experience to 2022 entrants.
I’m in the second year of a Film Production degree at AUB and it has been the worst experience of my entire life. I no longer wish to be on this planet anymore.

I think this tells you everything you need to know.
True to a point but the scores are not without value. The average "overall satisfaction" score for all universities taken together did indeed drop from 83% to 75% but this still provides a benchmark to measure courses against.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by cheadle
True to a point but the scores are not without value. The average score for "overall satisfaction" did indeed drop from 83% to 75% but this still provides a benchmark to measure courses against.

AUB is ****. Don't bother.
Reply 6
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I’m in the second year of a Film Production degree at AUB and it has been the worst experience of my entire life. I no longer wish to be on this planet anymore.

I think this tells you everything you need to know.

I also hold an offer from AUB MA Film Practice and I am trying to decide between here and York. Why do you think it was such a bad experience since it looks reputed?
Original post by Koutai
I also hold an offer from AUB MA Film Practice and I am trying to decide between here and York. Why do you think it was such a bad experience since it looks reputed?

See https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=90672352&highlight=

Starting a degree that you don’t really want to study because you can’t think of anything better isn’t going to lead to a good experience no matter which course or university
Original post by Koutai

- People on the course don’t care
- Lecturers are not caring about student needs
- No room in canteen
- No room in library and sometimes the computers don’t work
- Student Union is non existent
That’s most of them will add more later
Reply 9
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
- People on the course don’t care
- Lecturers are not caring about student needs
- No room in canteen
- No room in library and sometimes the computers don’t work
- Student Union is non existent
That’s most of them will add more later

I am still closer to York but for you, maybe this is really the case?
Original post by PQ

Starting a degree that you don’t really want to study because you can’t think of anything better isn’t going to lead to a good experience no matter which course or university
It is still worth checking out the NSS as these at least have a series of metrics including things like the quality of teaching and course organisation. No disrespect at all to the current student posting here - but this is just one opinion, whereas the NSS offers a whole cohort's opinion.
The other thing the NSS offers is the chance to compare with other Film Production courses across the sector to put things in a wider perspective.
Original post by Koutai
I am still closer to York but for you, maybe this is really the case?

I made this post about a year ago but my thoughts on the Film Production course at AUB and Film Production courses more broadly have not changed, therefore it is still very much relevant.

I would first advise you to read this post as it sums up why film production courses are basically a complete waste of time.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5210328

I’ve spent most of last year being depressed and crying my eyes out in my bedroom. It has without a doubt been one of the worst years of my life. COVID obviously didn’t help in this aspect but that wasn’t the only reason why the course and AUB weren’t great.

AUB specifically is awful because:-

- Accommodation is way to overpriced
- No study abroad opportunities
- No work experience opportunities or year/term in industry
- Employment statistics after the course are false (I don’t believe that 90% of people are employed after their Film Production degrees)
- Campus is too small. You literally cannot fit anyone in the cafeteria and there isn’t enough space for everyone in the library. This is not a joke.
- What happens on film production courses is that lots of people dominate and they make good films and the people who are shy/introverted etc get left out and they make ****y films that no one cares about.
- Students aren’t academically engaged
- Because you don’t have ultimate control of your films (unless you direct and write) it is entirely possible to spend three years at film school and not work on any films you are happy with
- SU is absolutely dire and there’s basically no clubs/societies
- No social life in Bournemouth as it’s full of boomers
- Nothing to do on campus aside from go to university
- When you get to the point where you start to crew up your films it’s essentially first come first served so all the people who are good make good films and the people who are awful make bad films and it is not fair (at least in first year)

Here’s something else to mention. A lot of the lecturers don’t have degrees specifically in film or have only gotten degrees to allow them to teach the course. If you can teach a Film Production degree course at one of the best universities in the country without a degree in Film Production then you definitely don’t need a degree in Film Production to have a career in the film industry.
Original post by PQ

It’s better than being unemployed I guess, lol
Some valid points are being made here.

Film Production courses inevitably involve group work and the way that roles (eg writer, producer, director, DoP, editor, location sound, etc.) are divvied up can indeed be an issue.
Module Leaders may allocate people to roles randomly. Where groups are self-selecting, students often form informal production units and only work with certain others.
It's also true that students who are percieved to be good at something, eg editing, camerawork are in demand - but this can leave them feeling overloaded and unable to complete what they commit to.

One way round all of this is to develop your own production skillset so that you are able to undertake a lot of the production roles yourself - self-shooting and editing your own films for example.

A lot of the staff teaching on film production courses will have extensive industry experience in lieu of academic qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending