The Student Room Group

I'm going to fail my gcses

Basically this is what will happen on Gcse results day:
1) I go to school and get my results
2) Look at my results and feel disappointed and pessimistic
3) Go home
4) My mum asks to see my results
5) My mum beats me up and I never see the light of day again :/
Since I've always failed I won't be surprised if I fail my gcses on gcse results day either.
Anyone else had similar experiences?
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm sure you won't fail, and you only need 5 C/4s to get into a levels. Grade boundaries will be lower this year and they're being marked more generously. I was scared too but I passed and now I'm looking at unis for next september! Goodluck either way :smile:
Original post by Jake9920
I'm sure you won't fail, and you only need 5 C/4s to get into a levels. Grade boundaries will be lower this year and they're being marked more generously. I was scared too but I passed and now I'm looking at unis for next september! Goodluck either way :smile:

None of that is true - please don't post wrong information. Papers will be marked as usual and we know nothing about grade boundaries. All we know is the information about the grade distribution ...
Reply 3
‘failing’ is very subjective, some people think getting 4/5/6s are failing which is really not the case as you can go to most colleges with those grades. if you are really worried, as you are still a student at your secondary, you could still ask a teacher or guidance counsellor about your concerns with grades and help figure out a plan of action for your future and further education such as an apprenticeship etc. gcses are not the be all and end all. whilst they are important and the most common first step to employment, you can still have a good and fulfilling future without them. you could also retake exams if you want to.
if you truly think you have failed the most important thing you should do before results day is get a plan b ready just in case.
Reply 4
Well tbh what I'm mostly scared of is that my mum is going to beat me up and then tell everyone that I failed my gcses, since I am certain I'm going to 'fail, fail' (but now my failiure is out of my control now :/) .
Original post by Lofinde00
Well tbh what I'm mostly scared of is that my mum is going to beat me up and then tell everyone that I failed my gcses, since I am certain I'm going to 'fail, fail' (but now my failiure is out of my control now :/) .

If she beats you up then just man up and fight her? Tell her you didn't fail your exams but atleast you've got some qualifications unlike her? It's all about reverse psychology in these type of situations.

Except if they wish to take A Level Maths/Sciences then that requires 6 in those subjects.

Which means if you wanted to do those and were a foundation student, you probably wont be able to do them and a college in which you have applied at will try to talk you into more practical options (BTECS), there used to be Soft and Hard A Levels, but Russell Group scrapped it a bit ago.
Original post by NerdAlert83
Except if they wish to take A Level Maths/Sciences then that requires 6 in those subjects.

Which means if you wanted to do those and were a foundation student, you probably wont be able to do them and a college in which you have applied at will try to talk you into more practical options (BTECS), there used to be Soft and Hard A Levels, but Russell Group scrapped it a bit ago.

I know but they're talking about failing, I'm just trying to reassure them that there's other options available and it's unlikely they will fail completely regardless.
Original post by Muttley79
None of that is true - please don't post wrong information. Papers will be marked as usual and we know nothing about grade boundaries. All we know is the information about the grade distribution ...

Actually it is true, you only need 5 grades at C/5 to progress onto a levels.

As for grade boundaries being lower this year, the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation, OFQUAL, published a UK GOV report on the 8th of March 2022 stating that "Examiners will be more generous when setting grade boundaries than they were in 2019". This does infact back up my claim that grade boundaries will be lower this year, and proves your point about us knowing "nothing about grade boundaries" incorrect.
There have also been several news reports, including those from BBC, that state the same, as well as the Secretary of State for Education making similar claims.
3) Go home
Since I've always failed I won't be surprised if I fail my gcses on gcse results day either.

i know how you feel. I feel like i might end up failing both my english exam (i pray i dont). Just try to stay confident and optimistic. You never know you may have done better than you did. As long as you revised or at least did some revision i doubt you fail your gcse. I know how you worried about your mum as well. I didnt do well in my sats (i know that year 6 but still) my mum wasnt happy at all. But it took sone time and she ended up forgetting about it. I hope you dont end up failing all your gcses
No - in my school you need more than that to stay on - and to do an A level in a subject you need a grade 6 and a grade 7 in Maths.

You are mis-quoting that sentence - grade distributions were mentioned not grade boundaries.

Grade boundaries can;t be set until after papers are marked and will be set so that grade distributions are between 2019 and 2021.

There's a good explanation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNcxYtFd5rc
Actually it is true, you only need 5 grades at C/5 to progress onto a levels.

I can provide you the link to the source if you wish, I'm more than sure my capability to quote a source if sufficient.

However the original person who posted the question wanted help with if they were to fail, so hence why I explained this year they're not as strict as normal exam years.
Reply 12
No - in my school you need more than that to stay on - and to do an A level in a subject you need a grade 6 and a grade 7 in Maths.

You are mis-quoting that sentence - grade distributions were mentioned not grade boundaries.

Grade boundaries can;t be set until after papers are marked and will be set so that grade distributions are between 2019 and 2021.

Most of the schools I know, apart from grammar schools, only require a 6 or even a 5 in the subject you want to take and around a 6 in maths, in relation to the subjects that it is needed for. The grades needed for grammar schools however are generally 7s and above.
Reply 13
3) Go home

To be honest, I don't think you will fail depending on what your idea of 'failing' is. A lot of people I know haven't felt great after the exam but I think that is pretty normal. Try not to worry and enjoy your summer holidays :smile:
I can provide you the link to the source if you wish, I'm more than sure my capability to quote a source if sufficient.

However the original person who posted the question wanted help with if they were to fail, so hence why I explained this year they're not as strict as normal exam years.

Please do post your source for that.
Original post by M_io
Most of the schools I know, apart from grammar schools, only require a 6 or even a 5 in the subject you want to take and around a 6 in maths, in relation to the subjects that it is needed for. The grades needed for grammar schools however are generally 7s and above.

No - if you are applying to a new school and it's full then often their over-subscription rules include 'highest results'. There are several comps asking grades like I quoted.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by M_io

interesting, the school im (hopefully) going to requirements are 7s and 6s, 9 for FM, it's also a non grammar school
Original post by dahlia06
interesting, the school im (hopefully) going to requirements are 7s and 6s, 9 for FM, it's also a non grammar school

Exactly! Many schools require more than the basics
The college I'm going to only requires 5 5s and 6s in your chosen subjects (7 in FM) but ik that one of the others near me has higher requirements so I guess it varies between schools

what effect do you think the grade distribution will have on grade boundaries or is this unknown?

Quick Reply

Latest