The Student Room Group

Failing second year nursing assignments but passing placement?

hello, i'm worried i will fail my second year of nursing due to all resubmissions due to stress and alot going on this year and not being able to focus or have motivation but I am doing really in placement and placement has been like my peace and escape this year. I loved all my placements and i'm sure I will pass the practice side of the course.

Does anyone know what will happen if I fail my assignment resubmissions but pass placement? Will I have to retake the whole of second year again or will I be kicked of the course? I am so worried. I feel like if I have to retake the whole year again I will as I will be in a better position and hopefully put this past year and everything that has gone on behind me and achieve higher by prioritising uni, but if I can't deal with being kicked of the course that will have a huge impact on my mental health :frown: I understand if I fail resubmissions I won't be able to progress into third year but I don't want to be kicked off the course. Do you think it is likely i would be withdrawn or be able to retake the whole year and would I have to complete the whole placement aspect too?

please help x x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
hello, i'm worried i will fail my second year of nursing due to all resubmissions due to stress and alot going on this year and not being able to focus or have motivation but I am doing really in placement and placement has been like my peace and escape this year. I loved all my placements and i'm sure I will pass the practice side of the course.

Does anyone know what will happen if I fail my assignment resubmissions but pass placement? Will I have to retake the whole of second year again or will I be kicked of the course? I am so worried. I feel like if I have to retake the whole year again I will as I will be in a better position and hopefully put this past year and everything that has gone on behind me and achieve higher by prioritising uni, but if I can't deal with being kicked of the course that will have a huge impact on my mental health :frown: I understand if I fail resubmissions I won't be able to progress into third year but I don't want to be kicked off the course. Do you think it is likely i would be withdrawn or be able to retake the whole year and would I have to complete the whole placement aspect too?

please help x x

i can't*

please help x x

@Emily_B. Any further advice on this will be appreciated from you Emily xx
You need to pass every placements and also all your assignments and essays and exams no matter whether you pass your placements. NMC regulations are unfortunately very strict about things like this.

You could at worse appeal the decision if you did fail again but depending on the university rules about how many times you can resist the assessment, essays and exams. If you have reached the limit allowed then you'll have to either appeal via your university student union representative who'll guide you through this process and see if there's any grounds of appeal there for you.

Then there's the dreadful resit of the whole year again which is the best option for you rather than being asked to leave the course.
You have came this far so perhaps resitting second year again is the best way forward as then you'll at least know what is involved with it and you can concentrate on getting through it next year.

You are correct about you unable to process into 3rd year. You need to complete everything that is required to be done each academic year before able to move forward into the following year course.

Speak to your university student union representative asap about it and make a plan of attack just incase you did fail okay and then you'll at least have your options available to you.

Also talk to your university course leader / tutor about things as well. They are there to support you through things that required attention to.

I'm a student mentor / supervisor.
A NHS registered midwife

please help x x

Protocol on failing elements of a degree varies from university to university. Some places give 2 attempts and others 3 attempts at academic work. So if it's 2 attempts, you only get withdrawn if you fail 2nd time; if it's 3 attempts then you get withdrawn if you fail 3rd time. If it's 3 attempts, you'll have to resit the year but it's up to the university if you have to resit placement as well as theory.

The only people that can really answer all of this is the university itself.
Also, the people who can provide you with support re your motivation and any issues you are having is the university.
Hey, I had a similar problem where I failed a bunch of nursing assignments in my second year. I think the work load and assignment can get a bit much and it’s a huge jump from first year. I went onto to resubmit my work and failed one of my resubs which essentially got me kicked out of university, at this point I didn’t want to carry on I was so down so I wasn’t even going to appeal. In the end I did appeal and I took a long interruption to sort my life now I’m going back to 3rd in September because I love nursing and there’s nothing more I want to do and life sometimes happens and we all make mistakes this is why I’m telling you all of this because you aren’t alone now I’m going to tell you what you should do. If all your assignments are at the same time don’t be afraid to mitigate you should always let the university know what you are going through instead of submitting work that could lead to you possibly failing. This was my biggest problem and if you are like me and you’re going through the same thing please get in touch with your student advice team and counselling team at your university. Also if the stress is getting to you, speak to your GP and your tutors so you can have all of it documented in case you need proof of mitigation or if needed a reason to appeal. We are students and sometimes things can get too much that’s why support is there please use it. If this all works hopefully they’ll be able to give resubmission periods that are not close together so you can focus on different assignment or if you’ve already submitted and worst comes to worse you fail. Now what you need to do is get in touch with your module leads or lectures on each assignment you failed, they are here to help you and they are the best to go to if you want to insure you pass the second time round. Set up meeting with them so they can get help you understand what you need to change to get the pass. Hope things work out for you
Original post by Qaali123
Hey, I had a similar problem where I failed a bunch of nursing assignments in my second year. I think the work load and assignment can get a bit much and it’s a huge jump from first year. I went onto to resubmit my work and failed one of my resubs which essentially got me kicked out of university, at this point I didn’t want to carry on I was so down so I wasn’t even going to appeal. In the end I did appeal and I took a long interruption to sort my life now I’m going back to 3rd in September because I love nursing and there’s nothing more I want to do and life sometimes happens and we all make mistakes this is why I’m telling you all of this because you aren’t alone now I’m going to tell you what you should do. If all your assignments are at the same time don’t be afraid to mitigate you should always let the university know what you are going through instead of submitting work that could lead to you possibly failing. This was my biggest problem and if you are like me and you’re going through the same thing please get in touch with your student advice team and counselling team at your university. Also if the stress is getting to you, speak to your GP and your tutors so you can have all of it documented in case you need proof of mitigation or if needed a reason to appeal. We are students and sometimes things can get too much that’s why support is there please use it. If this all works hopefully they’ll be able to give resubmission periods that are not close together so you can focus on different assignment or if you’ve already submitted and worst comes to worse you fail. Now what you need to do is get in touch with your module leads or lectures on each assignment you failed, they are here to help you and they are the best to go to if you want to insure you pass the second time round. Set up meeting with them so they can get help you understand what you need to change to get the pass. Hope things work out for you

Good reply to the OP ( anonymous ) as it let them see that there are not alone in this situation.

They obviously need to sort it out with the university.

Hi, thankyou for your reply

This really helped me and made me feel like i am not alone! I hope you are doing well and ace third year :smile:
I myself love nursing too and I don't see myself doing any other career. I have contacted my tutor to arrange a tutorial/meeting but so far have not had a response.
I am really anxious about the outcome but I have arranged to call my course advisor on Monday to discuss my options and I am considering contacting my uni counselling/help team also to discuss and seek some sort of advice.

However, i am worried they may say it is too late into the year to seek help as i have had alot of stress this year family/home related which I believe has had an major impact upon my academic performance as I am not very good at speaking out but a part of me has hope that if I explain the situation they will be very understanding. My placements have been amazing and I have loved them all I have also had great feedback from all my mentors so I know the practical side of the course won't be a issue and my nursing skills are not poor its just the academic side this year.

Can i ask were you able to resit the whole of second year at the same university or did you have to reapply?

is it possible for me to contact you via personal message one here?

thankyou x
Original post by Emily_B
Protocol on failing elements of a degree varies from university to university. Some places give 2 attempts and others 3 attempts at academic work. So if it's 2 attempts, you only get withdrawn if you fail 2nd time; if it's 3 attempts then you get withdrawn if you fail 3rd time. If it's 3 attempts, you'll have to resit the year but it's up to the university if you have to resit placement as well as theory.

The only people that can really answer all of this is the university itself.
Also, the people who can provide you with support re your motivation and any issues you are having is the university.

Thankyou, I am definitely going to get in touch with the uni before its too late, i just hope they provide me with the support I need.
Tha
Original post by Tracey_W
@Emily_B. Any further advice on this will be appreciated from you Emily xx
You need to pass every placements and also all your assignments and essays and exams no matter whether you pass your placements. NMC regulations are unfortunately very strict about things like this.

You could at worse appeal the decision if you did fail again but depending on the university rules about how many times you can resist the assessment, essays and exams. If you have reached the limit allowed then you'll have to either appeal via your university student union representative who'll guide you through this process and see if there's any grounds of appeal there for you.

Then there's the dreadful resit of the whole year again which is the best option for you rather than being asked to leave the course.
You have came this far so perhaps resitting second year again is the best way forward as then you'll at least know what is involved with it and you can concentrate on getting through it next year.

You are correct about you unable to process into 3rd year. You need to complete everything that is required to be done each academic year before able to move forward into the following year course.

Speak to your university student union representative asap about it and make a plan of attack just incase you did fail okay and then you'll at least have your options available to you.

Also talk to your university course leader / tutor about things as well. They are there to support you through things that required attention to.

I'm a student mentor / supervisor.
A NHS registered midwife

Thankyou,

I am going to get in touch with my university.
Whatever the outcome I just don't want to get withdrawn from the course :frown:
Original post by icecream2021
Tha

Thankyou,

I am going to get in touch with my university.
Whatever the outcome I just don't want to get withdrawn from the course :frown:

Hi
No worries okay ☺️

Getting in touch with your university asap will be the way forward for you to get things resolved and also speak to your university student representative about things as well and take there advice on what to do next.

If you can get everyone involved with things then perhaps you'll get a satisfactory result from it okay.
Original post by icecream2021
Hi, thankyou for your reply

This really helped me and made me feel like i am not alone! I hope you are doing well and ace third year :smile:
I myself love nursing too and I don't see myself doing any other career. I have contacted my tutor to arrange a tutorial/meeting but so far have not had a response.
I am really anxious about the outcome but I have arranged to call my course advisor on Monday to discuss my options and I am considering contacting my uni counselling/help team also to discuss and seek some sort of advice.

However, i am worried they may say it is too late into the year to seek help as i have had alot of stress this year family/home related which I believe has had an major impact upon my academic performance as I am not very good at speaking out but a part of me has hope that if I explain the situation they will be very understanding. My placements have been amazing and I have loved them all I have also had great feedback from all my mentors so I know the practical side of the course won't be a issue and my nursing skills are not poor its just the academic side this year.

Can i ask were you able to resit the whole of second year at the same university or did you have to reapply?

is it possible for me to contact you via personal message one here?

thankyou x

I’m going back to my university which is a Russell Group and can often be far stricter when it comes to passing academics. You just have to think about it like this it’s been a tough few years for student nurses, and a lot of us are going through stress that has often caused a decline in our studies. Nursing anywhere is very full on course, and believe me your tutors and other teachers are very understanding in cases like this you just have to keep them informed it’s not too late in my opinion the year doesn’t start till September you have all of July and August to get it sorted so don’t panic just yet. Right now what you’re doing is good you’re contacting teachers to let them know what’s going on, private message me and then I can let you know what else I done in order to pass my appeal and also take time off to get my self sorted.
Could you answer this for me as i require advice If you have been discontinued off your 2nd yr due to being let down by your mentor not completing your pad properly twice...how is this your fault as a student...surely its the mentor letting you down...will i be able to reapply to resit my 2nd yr
Original post by Kellykell
Could you answer this for me as i require advice If you have been discontinued off your 2nd yr due to being let down by your mentor not completing your pad properly twice...how is this your fault as a student...surely its the mentor letting you down...will i be able to reapply to resit my 2nd yr

Unfortunately, it's your responsibility to ensure that your PAD is fully, correctly completed. It is also your responsibility to chase your mentor to complete and sign everything they need to - your mentors have no responsibility for the completion of your PAD, therefore it's your fault for not having pushed them to complete it for you.
Talk to the university about re-sitting 2nd year, and start asking other universities if there's any chance of transferring.

Did you appeal within 14 days and did you have to resit a year or was your able to resubmit the assignment pass and get into 3rd year
I passed all the assignments it was the pad that i failed..this wasnt completed properly by my assessor and was handed in late by them
Original post by Tracey_W
Good reply to the OP ( anonymous ) as it let them see that there are not alone in this situation.

They obviously need to sort it out with the university.

Hi was you able to stay in the same university and did you only resubmit your work.

please help x x

Did you have to wait a year to do your 3rd year was you able to resubmit your assignments.How long did your appeal take
I’m going back to my university which is a Russell Group and can often be far stricter when it comes to passing academics. You just have to think about it like this it’s been a tough few years for student nurses, and a lot of us are going through stress that has often caused a decline in our studies. Nursing anywhere is very full on course, and believe me your tutors and other teachers are very understanding in cases like this you just have to keep them informed it’s not too late in my opinion the year doesn’t start till September you have all of July and August to get it sorted so don’t panic just yet. Right now what you’re doing is good you’re contacting teachers to let them know what’s going on, private message me and then I can let you know what else I done in order to pass my appeal and also take time off to get my self sorted.

What did you put into pass your appeal and did you just do your assignments again and when did you start your 3rd year
I would love to hear an update from the original poster from this thread
Hi Everyone,
I have experience suspending studies for 8 months and returning and taking retakes of assignments, so if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them in this thread.
Carina :smile: - Student Nurse
University of Southampton Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest