The Student Room Group

Potential Mature Student looking for some guidance

Been a while since I've had to look into university things like this so forgive any silly questions but I was wondering if anyone here would be so kind as to provide some information as to help me figure out the next best course of action. I have been sending emails off to universities for more information but have yet to obtain a response after weeks of waiting (probably bad term timing on my part :biggrin:).

I have been out of higher education for almost 7 years now (Finished A Levels in 2015) and was looking to apply to university either this year (though pretty sure the deadline is closed for that now) or the next as I would like to finally pursue a degree after having to take some personal time off. However, the type of course I would like to apply for (Games Design and Creative Writing) does not quite match up with the A Level subjects I took back between 2013-2015. Those subjects being Biology, Applied Science with Forensics & Drama which had a heavy emphasis on writing essays and our own scripts. My G.C.S.E results where I did English Literature and English Language, I was graded A and B respectively.

However, the life experiences/passions which I have pursued over the last decade have been extremely English/Creative Writing orientated. Some of which include personal projects, winning placements in competitions and taking multiple online courses based on game design and narrative or creative writing. In the last 3 years alone, I have been over to South Africa (for 12 months) to help volunteer at a school, helping teach children who were unable to read or write as well as spending 2 years as a Narrative Designer at a very small studio.

I understand if I do not meet the exact requirements to take this type of course yet, nonetheless I was wondering if this was a good start given my personal experiences and what would be the next best steps for me if I did wish to apply to this kind of course in the future? Would doing a HE in English be the next step? Would that even be enough considering my other previous qualifications? Was just wondering peoples thoughts so I can at least make a start in the right direction.

Many Thanks!
Original post by KDPup
Been a while since I've had to look into university things like this so forgive any silly questions but I was wondering if anyone here would be so kind as to provide some information as to help me figure out the next best course of action. I have been sending emails off to universities for more information but have yet to obtain a response after weeks of waiting (probably bad term timing on my part :biggrin:).

I have been out of higher education for almost 7 years now (Finished A Levels in 2015) and was looking to apply to university either this year (though pretty sure the deadline is closed for that now) or the next as I would like to finally pursue a degree after having to take some personal time off. However, the type of course I would like to apply for (Games Design and Creative Writing) does not quite match up with the A Level subjects I took back between 2013-2015. Those subjects being Biology, Applied Science with Forensics & Drama which had a heavy emphasis on writing essays and our own scripts. My G.C.S.E results where I did English Literature and English Language, I was graded A and B respectively.

However, the life experiences/passions which I have pursued over the last decade have been extremely English/Creative Writing orientated. Some of which include personal projects, winning placements in competitions and taking multiple online courses based on game design and narrative or creative writing. In the last 3 years alone, I have been over to South Africa (for 12 months) to help volunteer at a school, helping teach children who were unable to read or write as well as spending 2 years as a Narrative Designer at a very small studio.

I understand if I do not meet the exact requirements to take this type of course yet, nonetheless I was wondering if this was a good start given my personal experiences and what would be the next best steps for me if I did wish to apply to this kind of course in the future? Would doing a HE in English be the next step? Would that even be enough considering my other previous qualifications? Was just wondering peoples thoughts so I can at least make a start in the right direction.

Many Thanks!

I might be wrong but I feel like those 2 courses are often fairly flexible in terms of the previous qualifications that you need and you mainly just need to demonstrate evidence of interest on the personal statement? I'd suggest looking into where you might want to study and seeing what they list their requirements as - I've just done a quick google and Brunel BSc Creative Writing (first result on search) does not list any specific subjects required.
Reply 2
Original post by Lauracarter123
I might be wrong but I feel like those 2 courses are often fairly flexible in terms of the previous qualifications that you need and you mainly just need to demonstrate evidence of interest on the personal statement? I'd suggest looking into where you might want to study and seeing what they list their requirements as - I've just done a quick google and Brunel BSc Creative Writing (first result on search) does not list any specific subjects required.

Yeah, they were one of the universities I emailed and am still waiting a response from. I wasn't sure whether I could just use my grades I received from my science & drama AS & A-Levels as long as I make up the UCAS points as I seem to hit their G.C.S.E requirements. :biggrin: I assume for any reason I don't have enough UCAS points I'd then have to look into something similar to HE? Also, thank you for your response! Appreciate it!
Original post by KDPup
Yeah, they were one of the universities I emailed and am still waiting a response from. I wasn't sure whether I could just use my grades I received from my science & drama AS & A-Levels as long as I make up the UCAS points as I seem to hit their G.C.S.E requirements. :biggrin: I assume for any reason I don't have enough UCAS points I'd then have to look into something similar to HE? Also, thank you for your response! Appreciate it!

Unless they state specific subjects required or a specific time period as to how recently awards need to have been achieved then you should be fine. But imo it is always worth checking with each University and getting agreement in writing that you are eligible :smile:

If you have the time and money then doing an access course wouldn't hurt - there's ones that can be done online and around full time jobs - doing a qualification more specific to what you want to do at Uni is a good way of demonstrating your interest in the subject plus preparing for higher level study.
Reply 4
Original post by Lauracarter123
Unless they state specific subjects required or a specific time period as to how recently awards need to have been achieved then you should be fine. But imo it is always worth checking with each University and getting agreement in writing that you are eligible :smile:

If you have the time and money then doing an access course wouldn't hurt - there's ones that can be done online and around full time jobs - doing a qualification more specific to what you want to do at Uni is a good way of demonstrating your interest in the subject plus preparing for higher level study.

Thank you for the advice. If that is the case then perhaps I'll try and email them again via the application email rather than the ones they give for mature student enquiries :smile: Hopefully I get some responses back this time around. Really appreciate your help! Great to know what my options are going forward. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending