The Student Room Group

Should Is study law

At the moment I am a finance student at Durham University and I have failed my exams due to a lack of no interest in my degree. Well, I would like to get some advice about different degrees. I think I will enjoy more law degrees as it is much more interesting, but I'm not sure if I am good enough.
Original post by Nick889
I think I will enjoy more law degrees as it is much more interesting, but I'm not sure if I am good enough.

Take a look at the entry requirements for some law degrees which interest you. Do your A levels meet those requirements? If so, you're "good enough".

Obviously other people might be better, and if there are too many people like that, then you may not get an offer - even though you meet the entry requirements.

Just out of interest, if you have "no interest in my degree", why choose it in the first place? Or did you think it would be interesting, only to find out that it wasn't. Isn't that also a risk with a law degree?
Original post by Nick889
At the moment I am a finance student at Durham University and I have failed my exams due to a lack of no interest in my degree. Well, I would like to get some advice about different degrees. I think I will enjoy more law degrees as it is much more interesting, but I'm not sure if I am good enough.

Hi Nick

If you're not sure about whether you wish to study law, you could perhaps sit in one of the law lectures at Durham and find out if it interests you. Obviously attending one lecture might not be sufficient but that's the best you can do to help you decide. Talk to your academic advisor about this and seek an appointment with the careers service as well so they can guide you.

Alternatively, do you think it's the degree that you don't enjoy or going to university in general? If it's the latter, perhaps consider an apprenticeship?

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Reply 3
Original post by Durham Students
Hi Nick

If you're not sure about whether you wish to study law, you could perhaps sit in one of the law lectures at Durham and find out if it interests you. Obviously attending one lecture might not be sufficient but that's the best you can do to help you decide. Talk to your academic advisor about this and seek an appointment with the careers service as well so they can guide you.

Alternatively, do you think it's the degree that you don't enjoy or going to university in general? If it's the latter, perhaps consider an apprenticeship?

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)

Hello,

I enjoy being in university a lot; it is just my degree I don't like. I don't know how to explain it, but I don't feel any interest or passion for finance. All my friends are passionate and deep-dived in their chosen fields, but I'm not.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Take a look at the entry requirements for some law degrees which interest you. Do your A levels meet those requirements? If so, you're "good enough".

Obviously other people might be better, and if there are too many people like that, then you may not get an offer - even though you meet the entry requirements.

Just out of interest, if you have "no interest in my degree", why choose it in the first place? Or did you think it would be interesting, only to find out that it wasn't. Isn't that also a risk with a law degree?

Exactly, that is why I am not sure what to do. I thought finance will be interesting enough, but it is just so boring.
Original post by Nick889
Hello,

I enjoy being in university a lot; it is just my degree I don't like. I don't know how to explain it, but I don't feel any interest or passion for finance. All my friends are passionate and deep-dived in their chosen fields, but I'm not.

I see. Are you planning to resit now or drop out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending