The Student Room Group

Help me with my Driving in Particular slip Roads

I'm terrified of motorways, dual carriageways and slip roads. Yesterday my driving instructor took me on a slip road without warning, and I didn't merge properly, the cars behind me tried to overtake because I didn't know what I was seeing in my mirrors at all. like I could only see behind me because the slip road comes in at an angle you know? My last instructor said "quick glance to your right and you can join if its clear" and I prefer his method because im so nervous I just overthink the mirrors too much. Does anyone have any tips? Is it safe to do what my last instructor says and not check mirrors?
(edited 1 year ago)
Quick glance means to look at the mirror no? Yh you wouldn’t want to look at the mirrors for too long.
Yeah I think you're confusing 'Checking mirrors quickly' with 'Not checking at all', you need to be precise in thought.
Original post by Paisley99
I'm terrified of motorways, dual carriageways and slip roads. Yesterday my driving instructor took me on a slip road without warning, and I didn't merge properly, the cars behind me tried to overtake because I didn't know what I was seeing in my mirrors at all. like I could only see behind me because the slip road comes in at an angle you know? My last instructor said "quick glance to your right and you can join if its clear" and I prefer his method because im so nervous I just overthink the mirrors too much. Does anyone have any tips? Is it safe to do what my last instructor says and not check mirrors?

If cars are overtaking you on a slip road, it's probably because you're not accelerating quickly enough. Not enough speed makes merging much more hazardous.
Reply 4
no, quick glance to my right window, not mirror
Original post by Noble.x
Quick glance means to look at the mirror no? Yh you wouldn’t want to look at the mirrors for too long.
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
Yeah I think you're confusing 'Checking mirrors quickly' with 'Not checking at all', you need to be precise in thought.

What do you mean? I know I need to check quickly but it doesn't really help me much the mirrors, so I can take a quick look anyways, but looking to my right as im accelerating is much more helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfJi9EA05_Y
watch that video. it helped me a lot
Original post by Paisley99
no, quick glance to my right window, not mirror

Oh is your mirror not well adjusted? It’s similar acc looking at the mirror and window. When looking through a window you’ll get a more accurate distance anyways
Reply 8
Original post by Noble.x
Oh is your mirror not well adjusted? It’s similar acc looking at the mirror and window. When looking through a window you’ll get a more accurate distance anyways

thats what I was thinking, maybe the mirrors are only showing me the back of my car and I need to push them out a bit
If your instructor took you onto a slip road without first giving you a full and proper briefing then they're not doing their job properly.

I also find it very surprising (and worrying) that your instructor doesn't even seem capable of telling you how to set up your mirrors correctly - check out the tutorial here https://www.ukdrivingskills.co.uk/learning-to-drive/the-cockpit-drill/ - When emerging from a slip road you need lots of mirror checks on the approach in addition to blind spot checks to ensure you cover all the lanes.

I would strongly recommend a rapid change of instructor :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending