The Student Room Group

Does the internet make male/female division look worse than is actually is?

Lots of threads on here and other forums where there seems to be a blame game and divisions in the topic of dating, who finds it easier, blaming each other for issues in dating etc. But does the internet and social media just make it look worse than it actually is? Do you think in the real world, these people are a minority?
If you're talking purely about relationships and people blaming one another for their failure - then absolutely not. People have been blaming one another for this kind of thing for as long as humans have been around.

If you mean a more social and political level of gender divide - "all men/women are evil" then absolutely yes this is a function of how social media and media work together to massively amplify the voices of a very small number of very radical people.
Original post by Trinculo
If you're talking purely about relationships and people blaming one another for their failure - then absolutely not. People have been blaming one another for this kind of thing for as long as humans have been around.

If you mean a more social and political level of gender divide - "all men/women are evil" then absolutely yes this is a function of how social media and media work together to massively amplify the voices of a very small number of very radical people.

The second paragraph is what I meant. Thanks for clarifying.
Original post by Anonymous
Lots of threads on here and other forums where there seems to be a blame game and divisions in the topic of dating, who finds it easier, blaming each other for issues in dating etc. But does the internet and social media just make it look worse than it actually is? Do you think in the real world, these people are a minority?

I think that it does, because people who are happily dating, (or aren't bothered either way), are much less likely to post about it.
Original post by Admit-One
I think that it does, because people who are happily dating, (or aren't bothered either way), are much less likely to post about it.

Do you think these sorts of forums have a disproportionate amount of unhappily single and/or frustrated people?
Do you think these sorts of forums have a disproportionate amount of unhappily single and/or frustrated people?

I think so, because people who are dating, (even not as much as they'd like), don't tend to look for as much support/advice/banter about it.

I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with it, unless it spills over into the toxic end of things.
Original post by Trinculo

This. It takes arguably genuine issues and turns them.into civil war type discussion.
No difference at all. I talk to plenty of people of both genders face to face IRL who have the same issues and the same thoughts that I see all over social media.
Original post by asif007
No difference at all. I talk to plenty of people of both genders face to face IRL who have the same issues and the same thoughts that I see all over social media.

as if
Original post by zasng45
as if

Do you have a point you're trying to make?

I didn't think so. Sit back down.
(edited 1 year ago)

Honestly, I don't think it makes it look worse speaking in terms of severity. Rather, I think it puts a huge spotlight on the worst side of things, and human interactions. For example, the people who make certain, horrible comments are still humans and do indeed think that way. Social media just gives them a microphone to yell. If you met them irl, they would probably still spout the same horrible nonsense just with less bravado.

In terms of number, they tend to be a minority in developed countries and a majority in developing countries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending