The Student Room Group

Placement hours

I am currently nearly at the end of the programme of adult nursing and did 2123 hours up to now and doing my final placement. I will be left 177 hours from 2300 however my placement says you need to work as scheduled 37.5 hours a week by the end of placement which will be more than I need to qualify. Basically they want me to work for free and I am not apprentice who get paid.my university dose not help at all . Can anyone advice me on this please? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SamaAli
I am currently nearly at the end of the programme of adult nursing and did 2123 hours up to now and doing my final placement. I will be left 177 hours from 2300 however my placement says you need to work as scheduled 37.5 hours a week by the end of placement which will be more than I need to qualify. Basically they want me to work for free and I am not apprentice who get paid.my university dose not help at all . Can anyone advice me on this please? Thanks

You need to do the hours. 2300 hours is the minimum practice hours; you need to do at least this AND 37.5 hours a week each placement. You've been expected to work for free up until now - as is every other student nurse (not apprentice), as was I as a student... the answer is, unfortunately, get on with it.
Original post by Emily_B
You need to do the hours. 2300 hours is the minimum practice hours; you need to do at least this AND 37.5 hours a week each placement. You've been expected to work for free up until now - as is every other student nurse (not apprentice), as was I as a student... the answer is, unfortunately, get on with it.

Original post by SamaAli

Unfortunately you'll have no choice but to do those hours on placement as Emily has said previously.

All hours & studying at university must be completed to the nmc requlatuons which is 2300 hours for both totalling 4600 Hours over the three years of the course
If short you'll not be allowed to be registered as a burse by the NMC until you have completed the requirements

Like Emily I was the same as a student midwife and if wasn't completed with everything then unfortunately wasn't allowed to qualify.
Original post by Tracey_W
Unfortunately you'll have no choice but to do those hours on placement as Emily has said previously.

All hours & studying at university must be completed to the nmc requlatuons which is 2300 hours for both totalling 4600 Hours over the three years of the course
If short you'll not be allowed to be registered as a burse by the NMC until you have completed the requirements

Like Emily I was the same as a student midwife and if wasn't completed with everything then unfortunately wasn't allowed to qualify.

I think OP's issue is that they will have completed the 2300 hours before the end of final placement, and will completing placement wil mean doing more than 2300 hours. Unfortunately they still have to do the full placement, including the extra hours.
Original post by Emily_B
I think OP's issue is that they will have completed the 2300 hours before the end of final placement, and will completing placement wil mean doing more than 2300 hours. Unfortunately they still have to do the full placement, including the extra hours.

She said something about only having done 2123 hours and still have 177 hours to do still.
Wouldn't that means she still have about 4.5 weeks approximately still to complete....??
Original post by Tracey_W
She said something about only having done 2123 hours and still have 177 hours to do still.
Wouldn't that means she still have about 4.5 weeks approximately still to complete....??

Currently on final placement, only needs to do 177 hours to qualify, but 37.5hrs a week for whole remainder of the placement is more than 177 hours (so must be more than 4.5 weeks).
I was always told tough luck you have to do the whole placement whatever; my students seem to be still being to the same.
Original post by Emily_B
Currently on final placement, only needs to do 177 hours to qualify, but 37.5hrs a week for whole remainder of the placement is more than 177 hours (so must be more than 4.5 weeks).
I was always told tough luck you have to do the whole placement whatever; my students seem to be still being to the same.

Yea I get that Emily being more than 4.5 weeks but it was the way she put the hours didn't tally.

I think that we were all in the same boat with tough luck get on with it until you have completed the olacenehp regardless.

I don't know what the situation with our students who are currently on placement but I'm sure that they are still having to complete there whole placement no matter what they have done like what you said about tours.
Reply 7
since covid. i would be very shocked if any student has done 2300 real patient facing placement hours.
Original post by paub
since covid. i would be very shocked if any student has done 2300 real patient facing placement hours.

How many "real patient facing hours" have your students been doing in total since covid? The students my colleagues and I have been signing off on to the register since covid have had a very small proportion of simulation hours mixed in to their placement hours, just like they did pre pandemic.
Going a bit off topic, but are 2300 hours really needed? Look at how many hours other healthcare professions spend on practice placement.

How many of the 2300 hours are spent learning rather than propping up service provision?
Original post by moonkatt
How many of the 2300 hours are spent learning rather than propping up service provision?

Probably quite a lot.
However, as a 1st year student, wards being short of HCAs was a great learning opportunity - this is where I properly learned "the basics". On the other hand, being an end of 2nd year student in a nursing home, where they're short of care assistants and only one of the nurses took an interest in teaching the students anything, made learning quite difficult.
Original post by Emily_B
Probably quite a lot.
However, as a 1st year student, wards being short of HCAs was a great learning opportunity - this is where I properly learned "the basics". On the other hand, being an end of 2nd year student in a nursing home, where they're short of care assistants and only one of the nurses took an interest in teaching the students anything, made learning quite difficult.

I feel that it's a hard balance to strike. The delivery of nursing care is very much a team sport and it's important students get exposed to these learning opportunities through "mucking in" when staffing isn't at an acceptable level, though there are times where students are not able to be exposed to learning opportunities because they've of poor staffing. Supernumary status isn't always as protected as universities like to make out that it is, I reckon in part due to a hangover to the old apprenticeship model of training where students were staff alongside the current staffing shortages.

I think what I'm trying to get at here is that in an ideal world (so never basically) do we really need those 2300 hours? Other clinical professions manage on much less, physios with 1000 and ODPs with 1800 for example. Is it possible to meet all the learning outcomes with fewer hours? Or would it be more practical to split student's placement hours into supernumary for part and service provision for the other part with this component being paid?
Reply 12
Original post by Emily_B
How many "real patient facing hours" have your students been doing in total since covid? The students my colleagues and I have been signing off on to the register since covid have had a very small proportion of simulation hours mixed in to their placement hours, just like they did pre pandemic.

ours are getting 6 weeks real and 6 simulation. they are not were they need to be.
Original post by SamaAli

however it will also be needed to demonstrate all your final placement competencies
Original post by Emily_B

also demonstrate all the final placement competencies
I feel that it's a hard balance to strike. The delivery of nursing care is very much a team sport and it's important students get exposed to these learning opportunities through "mucking in" when staffing isn't at an acceptable level, though there are times where students are not able to be exposed to learning opportunities because they've of poor staffing. Supernumary status isn't always as protected as universities like to make out that it is, I reckon in part due to a hangover to the old apprenticeship model of training where students were staff alongside the current staffing shortages.

I think what I'm trying to get at here is that in an ideal world (so never basically) do we really need those 2300 hours? Other clinical professions manage on much less, physios with 1000 and ODPs with 1800 for example. Is it possible to meet all the learning outcomes with fewer hours? Or would it be more practical to split student's placement hours into supernumary for part and service provision for the other part with this component being paid?

i'm not sure physios are as low as that i thought it was 1500 ish as with a lot of the other HCPC professions , but all have rather narrower scope than Nursing especially when 2nd and third generation (post P2K) diploma / adavanced diploma still had the 150 physical hours (each) / 450 hours total in other branches requirement ...

Rostered service survivied past the millenium in some places but not far / long ( i think we (sept 98 intake ) were last or second to last to have any rostered at the HEI i studied at and it was only part of 3rd year )
Original post by Emily_B
Probably quite a lot.

this
oneofthe main problemswith the team sport is when you get lazy or passive bully HCAs who expect the RN / 3rd year Student to do 66% of the work ( i.e. all the RN work and half the HCA work )
Placements hours for physiotherapist in Scotland is a minimum of 1000 hours is spent on practice placements. Placements may vary in length and cover a range of different practice areas.

Original post by InArduisFouette
i'm not sure physios are as low as that i thought it was 1500 ish as with a lot of the other HCPC professions , but all have rather narrower scope than Nursing especially when 2nd and third generation (post P2K) diploma / adavanced diploma still had the 150 physical hours (each) / 450 hours total in other branches requirement ...

Rostered service survivied past the millenium in some places but not far / long ( i think we (sept 98 intake ) were last or second to last to have any rostered at the HEI i studied at and it was only part of 3rd year )
Reply 18

ODPs need 2700 hours, not 1800
Original post by ODPSCP
ODPs need 2700 hours, not 1800

Oh ok, the source I found must have been outdated, thanks.

Is that broken down into separate chunks for scrub/anaesthetic/recovery? Is there a minimum amount for each?

Latest

Trending

Trending