The Student Room Group

Is this an ok pay ?

I am 17. I get paid 9.5 an hour. When I am 18 at Oct I will be paid 10 an hour.

Is that decent.

I walk to work. Only 10 mins away. I work at M&S

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peteryoungy

Is that decent.

Given that the minimum wage is £4.81 for those under the age of 18 and £6.83 for those between 18 - 20, the amount you are getting is quite generous.

Since you walk to work, you will saving a bit as well.

Is that decent.

Yes that is okay for your age as better than most of your age will probably be earning due to minimum age pay.

All staff in Tesco are paid currently £9.55 per hour for everyone over 16 and from July it's increasing to £10.10p per hour. Only the likes of team leader and supervisors and managers are slightly paid more So that sounds like M&S is bringing staff in line with the likes of Tesco, Asda and the other big supermarkets.

Plus you not spending anything on bus fare etc.
Do you work at Tesco ?

Do you know by any chance what's the hourly salary under 18 at Sainsburys ?
Yes, very good pay for a teenager with relatively low travel costs.
I'm not a teenager and most of my zero hours contract roles and temporary jobs have been paid at much lower rates.
I am not sure. My friends earn 10 an hour but some do pay train fare and don't get discount when buying something. I am allowed a free pastry and a free hot drink but my salary is I think low.

Can teenagers work at Lidl or Aldi ?
does anyone work at primark.
Yeah that’s the pay most 17 year olds get, I get £10 an hour at 17 but that’s because I don’t work mainstream retail.
what do you mean when you say mainstream retail
Do you work at Tesco ?

Do you know by any chance what's the hourly salary under 18 at Sainsburys ?

Yes I do work with Tesco.

How much do 17 year olds get paid at Sainsburys.
The average pay for 17 year olds at Sainsbury's is between £9.30 and £10.00 per hour. The current minimum wage for people age 17 is £4.81 per hour. The Real Living Wage is £9.90 (£11.05 in London).
I am not sure. My friends earn 10 an hour but some do pay train fare and don't get discount when buying something. I am allowed a free pastry and a free hot drink but my salary is I think low.

Can teenagers work at Lidl or Aldi ?

You can work in those shop's from the age of 16 upwards.
oh ok. Would you say that your work is itense. One good thing that I like where I work is that its small as its in a hospital. It isn't that stressful.
I always see in job description that they want to work minimum 20 hours. That wouldn't be a problem but I am at 6th form so too much pressure.
oh ok. Would you say that your work is itense. One good thing that I like where I work is that its small as its in a hospital. It isn't that stressful.

You have your busy periods each day of the week.
You have to keep the shelves stocked up

Wouldn't say it's intense but can at times be hectic but you take the good and bad of each day as no two days are the same.

Hospitals that has shop's within their building is usually small as it's mainly for getting essentials item's for any patients and usually more expensive than going to the same shop outside of the hospital.
Yes. I work at weekends so the hospital is pretty quiet. So I guess what I am getting paid is worth the job.
I always see in job description that they want to work minimum 20 hours. That wouldn't be a problem but I am at 6th form so too much pressure.

Most supermarkets advertise shifts from about 4 hours a day upto 8 hours a day.
With various days you can work as well depending on how many you wish to do per week.
Yes. I work at weekends so the hospital is pretty quiet. So I guess what I am getting paid is worth the job.

That's good pay for you like as there's places that will only give you the bare minimum wages like.
Reply 16
lol i get paid £4.80 for running around all day at a pub, it's only three mins away from me but damn....... yall making me think i should be quitting it seems everyone's earning way more than me TT
Original post by aneya
lol i get paid £4.80 for running around all day at a pub, it's only three mins away from me but damn....... yall making me think i should be quitting it seems everyone's earning way more than me TT

where u live

I might can help u
£9.50 per hour is really good I got £4.35 per hour when I worked at the garden centre (aged 17) a few years ago
Original post by aneya

Before quitting your current job get yourself another one somewhere in a supermarkets with better pay and probably holidays as well. Then hand in your notice of leaving.

Quick Reply

Latest